1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Redknapp Court Case

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Wandering Yid, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

Accounting books were offered as evidence.

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

You'd better hope he has 12 spurs, 12 dyspraxics or a mixture of the 2 then. Seriously how many people would you believe if they said they 'forgotten' about £200,000 they had in a bank they'd personally flown and set-up in the tax haven of Monaco? If this was Arsene Wenger I'd imagine most on here would be shouting his guilt from the roof-tops.

You say the jury will only convict if they see a dishonest crook, rather than a lovable wide-boy, but they may see a fat cat earning millions gettiing secret payments offshore to avoid tax instead, and a natural dislike of HMRC won't save him from that. If he can prove he has dyspraxia it's reasonable doubt for me, but how many people have even heard of it?

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

People's opinions of Redknapp are irrelevant if Mandaric's claim stands up to scrutiny.
    The money isn't tied to any contract and if his explanation is backed up by actual accounts, then I don't even see why this is going to a jury.

4. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

Not many, but people involved in football are different to your average man on the street. £200,000 is a week's wages for some footballers, not 10 years wages. I would guess that Harry earns in the region of £2 million per annum as a basic salary, if you earned that much, would you care about paying a few grand extra in tax so much that you'd intentionally try to find a way of cheating the system?

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Dyspraxia ? I don't think being clumsy is any kind of defence.

6. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Shame it isn't. Your back four could use it if it was <whistle>.

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Anyone else worried that Capello is talking himself out of a job? Hopefully Harry's "personal issues" mean it would be wrong to take him before the end of the season!

8. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

The FA will not want to sack Capello. If they did they'd first have to make sure the successor they want will take the poisoned chalice, which is made even more difficult by having no time to prepare for a tournament. If their choice said they wouldn't take it until the summer then they will have to keep Capello and no doubt there will be rumours or a leak that they had looked into sacking Capello causing huge embarrassment and making the whole tournament a write off. The FA would be mad to take such big risks. They also wouldn't want to make an enemy of a Premier League club by stealing away a manager at short notice in such a crucial part of the season so I have no doubt 'Arry will not be approached at this point.

9. Ghoddle10

Ghoddle10 Active Member

Hi PNP. Well according to Harry, he voluntarily told some football inquiry about it/something (Quest?), and also the NOTW knew about it, or or at least were onto 'something'. So Harry gave them this story to shut them up as it was league cup final day, and he didn't fancy facing the players over breakfast with them reading dodgy headlines, or some such.

All of the above obviously shows I only have a hazy grasp of the situation :)

Maybe Harry's famed ability of not being able to keep quiet has got him in trouble this time?

PS I don't think there's a chance of the FA sacking Capello over this captaincy 'row'. As to whether Harry is eligible for the England job in the summer will depend on the verdict. 'Guilty' and he's out of the running.

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

<laugh>..

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Aye, good comeback <laugh>

12. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about the FA sacking Capello, what if he walks?, he has been badly undermined in his eyes.

13. Ghoddle10

Ghoddle10 Active Member

Not long till the verdict now, I think it's looking good for Harry. He'll probably be found innocent, and almost certainly won't be sent to prison.

14. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

Reckon there'll be a verdict today?

15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The prosecution started sounding desperate when they likened him lying to a NOTW reporter to lying to HMRC. There's no comparison - as well as the fact citing a NOTW reporter as a decent and honourable member of society compared to 'Arry falls flatter than The Grand Wizard's constant attempts to make out Luis Suarez to be an innocent victim of the FA's evil machinations.

16. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

It would seem a bit pathetic for this to have gone to court if Harry is found not guilty purely on the grounds that he said the money was a gift that he forgot about and the jury and judge go, "oh, well in that case fine! you should have said earlier..."

17. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Have you ever dealt with HMRC? They constantly **** things up, then make out it's your fault to try and scare some money out of you.

Last year they tried to tell me I hadn't filed my company accounts, despite me having at least three peices of evidence saying that I had. Suffice to say a very sarcastic letter went their way...

18. Sir_Red

Yea HMRC are twats, but for it to have gone to court is slightly more serious.

19. Sir_Red

Read that, wondered if he meant to use the pun??

20. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Looks like they are going home for the evening without a verdict.