1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation Countdown

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Ron, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Matches to watch on Saturday (all ko at 3pm)

Barnsley v Rotherham United
    Cardiff City v Wycombe Wanderers
    Derby County v Birmingham City
    Middlesbrough v Sheffield Wednesday

If Derby win, we are relegated

If we lose, we are relegated

If we draw and Derby don't lose, we are relegated

There are too many odds stacked against us but, as long as it is mathematically possible, there is hope

2. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

After the start to the season we had I’m amazed we aren’t relegated with 3 games to go. A truly great effort for Gareth and the boys.

Ron likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The team we have now deserves to be in the Championship. We are playing much better football now. Too much of the season we were relying on long balls to Bayo and we were having to field Blooms, Kashkett and Samuel. No doubting their commitment but just not the class for this league. However they fully deserved their time in the Championship having given their all to get us there. Proud of the whole squad for what they have achieved

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm wondering realistically what any of you expected from this season if anything at all. It's one of those dilemmas isn't it with your club. You want to be promoted and you start every season hoping you will be promoted however sometimes it's hard to expect anything. You had never been in the Championship before. You had no money to compete at that level and not much of a prospect of getting any spare cash anytime soon. The pandemic hit and killed any possibility of increased crowds every week so not only did you not have the cash you were in an even worse position again. I know most of you are realistic and didn't expect anything else other than what is likely either this week or next. The only consolation is you got there in the first place and you have bloodied the noses of at least a few. The only thing you hope is the contracts the players are on who aren't due to leave at the end of this season are still within the bounds of decency because getting promoted without the cash can mean a huge problem for some clubs. It isn't hard to see how unfair football is these days if you haven't got that sugar daddy backer. Who came down from the Prem last season and who is about to go up this season. All of the clubs in with a shout have been there recently. Look at league one and who is likely to go up. Bit familiar once again. I think the inevitability of it all is what is killing interest by a lot of people now. We already have a Super league set up.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In a word, nothing greeny. But we have had something.

Over the last 20 matches we are sitting 17th
    Over the last 15 matches we are sitting 16th
    Over the last 10 matches we are sitting 12th
    Over the last 5 matches we are sitting 4th

We have had some good performances, not always accompanied by the right result.

We had the ecstasy of getting promoted to the Championship for the only time in history, having supported our team from the lowly Isthmian League through thick and thin.

And despite going down, as expected, we have had a great ride. We have a great team who fight for each other and never give up

Wouldn't have missed it for the World

I really hope we can keep this squad for next season and have another crack at promotion

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

"In a word nothing but we have had something"

Sums us up as supporters doesn't it. Always look on the bright side of life as the song goes. It's what we do and if you can take a positive out of something then it is all worthwhile. IF you can keep the squad together then I think you might just give a few in league one a shock. That's of course if you are in league one.................

Ron likes this.
  7. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

When you look at our Football League History, compared to a lot of clubs we have had a great time, & as I said in another post somebody somewhere must be doing something right. FA Cup Semi-Final, League Cup Semi-Final. Three play-off finals, plus at least 2 more play-offs, relegations, & near relegations, promotions as well. All in 25 years this club gives you one hell of a ride.

Wooperts_duck, Ron and Guywanderer like this.
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Short countdown. Never mind. If only this and only that, we would be safe at this point in time. How about that for a song title, If only this and only that,

So we are down and it's a fight to the end as to which of the 3 go down with us, and a game on the last day could decide it

Sheff W need to win both their games to avoid relegation

Rotherham could put safety out of reach for Derby and Sheff W or they could end up bottom. They have a stiff task against:
    Brentford A
    Blackburn Rovers H
    Luton Town A
    Cardiff City A

9. philhythe

I think the bottom three will stay the bottom three now, Derby &Huddersfield have got away with it this season

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hadn't noticed that. Rotherham could relegate Huddersfield

11. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

I see Rotherham fate is no longer in their own hands after last night's defeat

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not doing too well are they. But they can still avoid relegation, as can Sheff W (but not both). Derby aren't safe yet. As it stands Derby still need to win both games to be safe. We still may have no idea after Saturday, unless Derby win and Rotherham lose in which case Rotherham and Sheff W join us in L1

13. philhythe

2015 Southend beat us in the L2 play-off final 2021 Southend about to go down to the National League, will not be playing them for a while

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Crikey

15. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Usually around this time of the year someone gets a 12 point deduction who gets your vote in the Championship there will be quite a few who may go to the wall next season

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Any chance of there being 3? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Sheff W last year but got reduced to 6

12 wouldn't be enough to get Luton relegated

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Didn't Luton get a massive deduction once before which ensured they went down to whatever league it was below them? Something like 20 points I think. You couldn't wish it on them again surely...............

Guywanderer likes this.
  18. philhythe

I think it was more than that Greeny it was 30pts & they ended up in the National League

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like Colchester have avoided going there, just

20. philhythe

Yes a lot of the Promotion & Relegations are already sorted, there are clubs like Wycombe that are not down yet, but almost certainly are