1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation Countdown

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Ron, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Derby's breach of Rules gets Wycombe relegated, then considering our results against them (a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 defeat), they "unfairly" took 4 points from us and I can see Rob C taking legal action for compensation

2. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

We have to remember Rob is a lawyer<laugh>

3. philhythe

Just goes to show the EFL rule book does not stand up to any sort of scrutiny

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read in some Derby news that whatever punishment is decided (that's assuming they will ever ****ing decide anything), Derby will fight it and will probably take it well into next season. So I say again, why don't they just come out and say, formally, that whatever happens this season's league placings will not be affected. Quite simple

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

According to the beeb football site it is being said that Derby punishment could be announced later this week. And your best bet on what it will be is....................

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't see anything greeny. Can you post the link?

7. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

A fine, maybe points deducted next season.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6 point deduction next season, then reduced to 3 on appeal

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not good at the tech stuff Ron. But if you go into the beeb football site and open up Championship there is a story on there about Scott Carson and it is on there at the end of the story.

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Got it thanks

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57468719

11. philhythe

That is also why I could not find it, saw the story about Scott Carson, thought not Interested, never went any further

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's a very long "end of the week" now although I suppose they didn't say which week or year for that matter.

13. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

And the story continues
    Championship club Derby County have been fined £100,000 over some of their accounting policies.
    However, the English Football League has the option to appeal against the verdict and may call for a points deduction - which could see the Rams relegated from the Championship.
    The EFL said in a statement on Wednesday that, pending any appeal, it had developed an interchangeable fixture list for next season for Derby and Wycombe Wanderers, while the disciplinary process is finalised.
    Wycombe were relegated on the last day of last season, finishing one point behind Derby.
    The fixtures for the forthcoming Championship season are due to be released on Thursday at 09:00 BST.
    The Rams were cleared of breaching Financial Fair Play rules last year.
    However, the EFL appealed against the decision to an independent tribunal and won the element of the case concerning how the club measured the value of players - called amortisation.
    On Wednesday, the EFL said Derby had been fined and also issued with a reprimand as to their future conduct.
    The club has also been ordered to file restated accounts for financial years ending 30 June 2016, 2017 and 2018 "together with updated profit and sustainability calculations if necessary", the EFL said.
    It has been suggested that these new accounts will result in further FFP breaches.
    However, BBC Sport has been told any breaches will be dealt with through further charges.

In confirming it would be releasing an interchangeable fixture list that would allow for Derby to swap places with Wycombe, who were relegated to League One on the final day of last season, the EFL has indicated they do not regard the matter as over.

Both sides have the chance to appeal against the £100,000 fine. If the EFL chooses to do so, and the decision was a points deduction, it has created the potential for it to apply in time for the 2021-22 campaign, which starts on 7 August.

The uncertainty will spark further fears among Rams supporters.

Their club has been unable to offer new deals to a number of out-of-contract players, including striker Martyn Waghorn, as a result of the ongoing case and the EFL rejected an application to register a contract extension for another forward, Jack Marriott, which the club had already publicly announced.

In addition, the uncertainty will not help owner Mel Morris in his efforts to sell the club.

Agreements with two parties collapsed last season and talks with an un-named American group had been delayed pending clarification over which division Derby will play in.
    BBC Sport

Ron likes this.
  14. philhythe

It just goes to show the EFL rules are no fit for purpose, the accounts of Derby must be a right mess if the EFL are asking for accounts going back 5 years. Let's be brutally honest Mel Morris fiddled the FFP rules one way or another. If Derby don't up in League 1 next season there is a fair chance they will be there in 2021/22 season.

mowgli1960 likes this.
  15. philhythe

The last bit is wrong it would be 2022/23 season

16. philhythe

Well it could be Huddersfield or Accrington Stanley at home first game

17. philhythe

I see Mowgli has been having a laugh on the Sunderland board, they don't learn on there do they. On about us flukeing another year in the championship, it's a lot of if's but 2-0 up away at Swansea keep like that, what's gone has gone.

18. Cardiff-Wycombe

I’ve been trying to get my head round this all day. Surely it should be clear and transparent, I.e if you fail the rules you get a fine and a points deduction. Not as it seems ‘they only broke the rules a little bit’ so we only give them a fine.
    In my job if you steal £50 or if you steal £500 it doesn’t matter because the fact is you stole.
    I just don’t get it.
    Sheffield Wednesday must be fuming.

19. Cardiff-Wycombe

Or am I missing something?

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A fine is a joke. I now actually hope that Wycombe get the lawyers on it. They broke the rules which allowed them to take 4 points off Wycombe.

Mind you, some key players that helped us get so close to safety are no longer with us so we would need to to find some equally good, if not better, players if we were to stay up