1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation (For 3.5m)????

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sunderlad, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Now I’m not suggesting in the first instance that I want my beloved SAFC to go down, far from it. But for the fee of 3.5m that Kaboul was whisked away from under our noses; and the way we lost that goal against Spurs has this set a presendence in our defence.

At the end of last season our defence looked in very good shape and I thought that we would kick on. But with all of the events things did turned sour.

I think that yesterday, had we have had Kaboul we would have nicked a priceless point. So by selling Kaboul to lets face it a relegation contender was this the best we could have hoped for? Or could we have at least taken a few more millions from them?

2. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it wasn't quite as simple as just selling him. There was clearly something more, something behind the scenes for him wanting to leave.

I was gutted when he left, and unfortunately I don't think Papy is in the same league as him. He did however have injury problems which were disruptive.

We do, and will miss him IMO.

Sunderlad likes this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

dont get me started on that ,i had a reet rage on when the club did that especially for that price

clockstander and Sunderlad like this.
  4. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I reckon Watford will have a good season. We should have got more for Kaboul but he ho.

Sunderlad likes this.
  5. Sunderlad

Agreed, I did read somewhere that his child was in hospital in London? And I think with injuries they are managed and helped by the staff in which you employ. Now I know that you cannot protect them whilst they are playing but he showed signs of his fitness improving and with that chance of injury do diminish.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. Sunderlad

Sorry Roger, but after watching us yesterday and the manor in which we conceded I couldn’t help but think about that Sale!!!!

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

We as good as gave him away. Awful business

8. Sunderlad

I mean we paid 8m for Djibodji we should have at least got that for him?

Makemstine Roger and Brian Storm like this.
  9. Brian Storm

Could have at least reflected the inflation everybody else has been charging for good players. Daft.

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  10. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

IMO what we should have done is kept the 'personal reasons' statements quiet and played hardball so that we fetched a fairer price.

We released the statement before we'd even agreed to let him go, meaning Watford has us by the short & curlies. £3.5m was nothing short of a token gesture.

He was playing possibly the best football of his career, in his prime. We should have got more than double.

11. Sunderlad

Even if it was true regarding his child (and I don’t wish that on anyone) but wouldn’t it have been cheaper to fly him down and do less days training? Bloody walkover this club!!!! People must love doing business with us. Those up the road got 30m for that useless piece of **** for two half decent games at the Euros.

Mackem-Tiz and Brian Storm like this.
  12. Brian Storm

Exactly. Great post fella.

Have to wonder if we made the mistake much earlier and granted him a low buy out fee when we signed him.

13. HoratioCarter

HoratioCarter Well-Known Member

Kaboul has been out with injury yet again, so maybe not reliable enough in that respect.

14. Brian Storm

Doesn't matter after the transfer though does it? It's before it that matters and we were keeping him fitter than ever.

Sunderlad likes this.
  15. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Kaboul wanted to go for family reasons is the only explanation that has been by the club and player. It did not make sense at the time for the fee involved but it also made no sense that a player who was in probably the best form of his career would take this decision lightly.

Sunderlad likes this.
  16. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Why couldn't we have kept Kaboul until at least the January window. Everyone knows because of our past history we needed to get off to a good start. If needed let him stay with is family during the week on the basis he keeps himself fit then comes up on the Friday for the game. I remember a few years ago Ledley King hardly doing any training at all....to let him go for 3.5 million sums up our current state of the club......clueless in the transfer market,

17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

You were not alone mate, I even thought we might have nicked something from the Everton game, we are certainly missing YK and M'Vila.

Sunderlad likes this.
  18. Sunderlad

Yes, how many points not having those two in the team might we spurn!

19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

We are 4 points short already and I fear it may get worse before it gets better.