1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Retain, bin or re-sign?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bank of England 2, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Just had a look on Tranfermarkt.com and it lists the following players and their contract status:

Out of contract/loan expired Jon McLaughlin, Joel Lynch, Jack Baldwin, Tom Flanagan,
    Alim Ozturk, Luke O'Nein, Aidan McGeady, Duncan Watmore,Chris Maguire, Kyle Lafferty,
    Benji Kimpioka, Bailey Wright,
    Declan John, Josh Scowen

Still under contract Lee Burge, Jordan Willis, Denver Hume, Conor McLaughlin,
    Grant Leadbitter,
    George Dobson, Max Power, Lynden Gooch, Will Grigg

Not specified Charlie Wyke, Elliot Embleton, Ethan Robson

It looks likely that Jon McLaughlin will go to Blackburn, so I have highlighted the ones in that list that I would offer new contracts to, and the ones currently under contract who I would look to move on. I would keep Embleton and Robson, undecided about Wyke.If we're not going to play to Grigg's strengths then I'd look to get rid of him too.

Which ones would you retain or offer new contracts to?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

non of them

3. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

I'd offer new deals to
    McLaughlin
    Lynch
    Flanagan
    Bailey Wright
    O'Nien
    Robson
    Maguire
    Lafferty

Release:
    Watmore
    Ozturk
    Kimpioka
    Scowen(if deal was only till end of season)

Loans back to parent clubs:
    John
    Semenyo

Transfer list:
    Wyke, Grigg, McGeady

Bank of England 2 likes this.
  4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I’d only be keen to keep Willis.

On top I’m happy with Budge, Lynch, O’Nien and Maguire.

Finally I’d be ok with Lafferty staying, he’s done a bit and I like that he puts himself about.

That leaves a load of gaps. I will say I’ve spoken to QPR and Barnsley fans re Scowen and for all we haven’t seen it, sounds like one we should keep they all rate him, just haven’t had the chance to form my own opinion.

5. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

Jon McLaughlin - keep but probably wants too much money and will go to the championship
    Joel Lynch - ****e, **** him straight into the bin
    Jack Baldwin - ****e, bin-bound
    Tom Flanagan - maybe keep as a squad option but ideally put him in the bin
    Alim Ozturk - ****e, bin him
    Luke O'Nein - keep
    Aidan McGeady - bin
    Duncan Watmore - bin
    Chris Maguire - might as well keep
    Kyle Lafferty - hoyed in the bin
    Benji Kimpioka - is for the bin
    Bailey Wright - try and keep
    Declan John - **** knows but if he can't get into this side he might as well go in the bin
    Josh Scowen - looked mediocre on the odd occasion he actually appeared, hoy him in the bin
    Lee Burge - might as well keep
    Jordan Willis - gerrin, one player I actually think is decent
    Denver Hume - keep
    Conor McLaughlin - ****ing straight in the bin
    Grant Leadbitter - I like him but he'll be on good money and seems past it, we'll have to keep him because he won't likely walk away though
    George Dobson - suppose we might as well keep even though he's a bit ****, but would lose no sleep whatsoever if he fell into a bin
    Max Power - as above
    Lynden Gooch - keep
    Will Grigg - ****ed straight into the bin
    Charlie Wyke - bin
    Elliot Embleton - keep
    Ethan Robson - keep

We're gonna need a bigger bin

6. Bank of England 2

<laugh>

7. Bank of England 2

<laugh> :emoticon-0139-bow:

8. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

26 players and you've gone:

Keep 11

Bin 13

Undecided 2

It's going to be a busy summer!

I'm not saying a disagree.

9. Bank of England 2

He's saying what we are all thinking. A major overhaul of the squad is needed. Hope we go for a load of young hungry players like O'Nein, rather than older players who can't get a game for a Championship club.

Robertson and Charley Farley like this.
  10. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Maguire might as well keep?

Probably aye seeing as hes our best player...

marcusblackcat likes this.

11. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeah about right

12. Guinness Guzzler

Willis is our best player imo, and quite comfortably. I'd probably put McLaughlin (the keeper, not the ****ing ****e one) ahead of Maguire. Maguire is incredibly frustrating because he is so inconsistent, this is why he's been dropped a few times by us and why his career has been so undistinguished. I say might as well keep because, in an ideal world, he wouldn't be a key player for us even in this **** league. Alas , despite the inconsistency, we've got no one in the squad worth replacing him with and we'd probably buy someone worse. So yes, we might as well keep him, but let's not pretend he's mint or owt, he just brings a slight positive to the side which is likely more than any replacement would do

Nads likes this.
  13. 6inarow

6inarow Well-Known Member

I was originally going to respond to your bin post but Willis is head and shoulders our best player (needs to work a bit on his passing tho), how we got him on a free I dont know, could easily hold his own a division above, as for the rest I couldn't give a toss about tbh, they've proved that there not good enough

14. Guinness Guzzler

Aye, he's literally the only player I look at and think "he'd be good enough for a starting place if we went up". McLaughlin would probably have done a job as well (but he's going to be off now) and I could see Gooch as a squad player, but after that I'm struggling. That's partly why I don't agree about Maguire being our best player, there's no way I'd want him in our starting eleven if we had somehow went up this season, but I'd be confident with Willis. No doubt we'll sell him for 200k and spend it on someone ****

15. 6inarow

6inarow Well-Known Member

Yep, I am resigned to Mcloughlin going so didnt mention him, as for Maquire I see him as a bit of a luxury and not a 100%er, yep hes a match winner but you dont get enough out of him. I would put him in the same bracket as Paul Pogba for Man U (slight difference in quality I know) but ive always said that he is the best 5 aside player in the world but deffo not 11 aside (if you get what I mean)

Guinness Guzzler likes this.
  16. Guinness Guzzler

I think my issue with Maguire, and why I just said "might as well keep" rather than something more positive is just because he isn't really what I think we should be building around. Yes, he's more talented than most of our knackers, but he's slow, he's inconsistent, there's question marks over his commitment (if he'd been focused he'd have likely had a better career), he's coming up to 32 years old.

Ideally he'd go because we'd say **** it, we're ripping up this whole system and we're going for young, hungry, quick players who can grow with the club and succeed in the league above. I'm sure those players will be out there but our recruitment is dreadful and, especially when led by Parkinson, that's obviously not what we're going to try and do. If we win promotion I want to feel that we've got it right here and just need a few quality additions. If we went up currently we'd have a few (including Maguire) who could maybe be options from the bench, but we'd need pretty much a full new starting eleven to have any chance of staying up and I'd be dreading the next league. Willis matches what i want to see from us in this division. So for where we are currently, and where we're likely to go with this set up, I suppose we'll have to keep Maguire because that's as good as it's going to get, but I'd love to see owners with some ambition and a long term plan who would get the vast majority of these out of the door. Him being one of our best players is precisely why we are inconsistent, slow, uncreative and why we've just come in a bang average league position in league one

6inarow likes this.
  17. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Can we afford to keep any of them? I think we will get rid of whoever we are able to.

18. Definitely Maybe

Definitely Maybe Active Member

Dobson is only 21/22 he'll improve

Gil T Azell likes this.
  19. Guinness Guzzler

Aye, I think we should keep him, I just wouldn't be arsed if we didn't. Think I'm just sick of all our midfielders being fairly anonymous, weak as piss plodders. I'm probably being harsh but I'd like us to have a proper hard bastard in the middle, and someone who can create and set the tempo, none of our lot seem to do that, they're all just there if you know what I mean. At least he's young like you say, we do need to strengthen that area (along with many others) though - mind I'm probably just being a miserable twat, bit ****ed off with it all at the minute!

rooch 3 likes this.
  20. DEREK ROY HENDERSON

DEREK ROY HENDERSON Active Member