1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Returning Players

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So with reports this window suggesting we're supposedly looking at the possibility to bring Eriksen back to the club on loan, it got me thinking about others who have returned to the club and the general notion of a player coming back to familiar surroundings.

We've especially been a club who's had our fair share of returnees over the years, from my memory the likes of Sheringham, Klinsmann, Defoe, Crouch, Kaboul, Keane, Chimbonda and Bale have all returned to play in some capacity.

There's been many cases with other clubs too; Henry, Flamini and Judas to Arsenal, Pogba to Utd, Rooney to Everton, Matic and Drogba to Chelsea, Fowler to Liverpool, Cole to West Ham and I'm there'll be plenty more I've not mentioned.

There can be various factors why some leave and return too. Some can be returning with a point to prove having been released/ sold at a young age, some are returning because they never really wanted to leave but circumstances meant they had too, some are returning because they achieved their glory elsewhere and wanted to return "home" and some have found the grass wasn't always greener.

Like any transfer, whether brand new or returning, some can be major hits, awful misses or straight down the middle.

What are your thoughts in general about players coming back to play for their former club? With Spurs in particular, has there been any one particular re-signing (or multiple if you like) that you were completely for or completely against, and were you ultimately proven correct or not as to why?

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

For me personally, whilst a sense of nostalgia may play a part in wanting someone back, especially if they were great in their initial spell, I think I generally base whether I'd like a player to return or not similarly to how I'd base my opinion on any player that would potentially join Spurs and that's on whether I think we actually need them/ someone in their position.

I remember being badly wrong on one at the time and that was Kaboul. We had Bassong, King, Woodgate and Dawson already at the club and so re-signing Kaboul felt unnecessary even though King and Woodgate in particular were prone to injury. Though he proved a great signing for the most part, not only did it cost us little to re-sign him as Portsmouth still owed us money from the deal that initially took him there but he provided the cross for Crouch that got us in the CL for the very first time and he became quite an important player for a couple years, I remember one season in particular where he seemed unbeatable in the air, lost count how many headed clearances he must have made. It was only up until his falling out with some of the younger players coming through when Poch was here that it turned out quite sour but all in all I think for circa £4m-£5m to bring him back, it was more than repaid through his contributions.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Milos Veljkovic counts as HG, so is surely worth a punt - especially as he can play CB and DM

What, you'd rather Eric Dier start games?

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Chimbomba returned for us? <laugh>

obviously erased that one from memory even tho that goal at Newcastle was a good strike

keane/Defoe/Klinsmann were top returnees imo

Dier Hard likes this.
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Lol yep! Came back for about 5 games or something and then left again <laugh>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I wonder if the culture of inserting buy-back clauses will work its way into the english game, much as it has done on the continent and especially La Liga. To the best of my knowledge, the culture here is more tying players down to contracts and endlessly loaning them out until they're well into their 20's. We're pretty far 'gone' in this regard, but the likes of Chelsea and City have lost all sense of normality.

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The manner in which player X

- played + conducted themselves while at the club
    - leaves the club
    - speaks of the club after leaving

determines how I respond when X returns to the club,
    regardless of whether I think they will be of use or not.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It already has

Chelsea inserted a buyback clause in the deal taking Nathan Ake to Bournemouth, and IIRC we had a buyback option in the deal taking Massimo Luongo to Swindon

9. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hate them. They should be banned.