1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rio 2016

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

No gold medal and no falklands .. **** the Argies!!

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another unbelievable day for the Brits on the medal table. Good old Trotty stikes again.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Anyone watch that last race with Kenny in it? 2 false starts and he nearly got chucked out. The tension was bleddy unbearable. Stuck it to them again and what a competitor. I'm knackered now.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I find it hard to believe that they haven't got a foolproof system with camera evidence to prove conclusively that someone has overtaken before that moped thing has officially left the track in the the Keirin race.....it's not as if they haven't been racing like that for years and years......there isn't an exact position that you can measure from.....whoever rides the moped just leaves the track somewhere along that back straight.......how long is a bit of string ?

Athletics is generally the big thing at Olympics.......but accept for the drama in the mens pole vault I feel it's been rather flat at the moment.
    The 10,000 metres seemed lacking in big names this year........and Usain Bolt had only one real challenger.....and wasn't he a returning drugs cheat ?......maybe it will get more exciting in the next day or so.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Yes watched that Sensible, wasn't that bloke on that Chicken chaser suppose to go a bit quicker to get off? as he must have known what was going to happen? Still we got another medal and i watched the diver get a silver.. tom Daley may have extra pressure now we have won another medal at diving.. hope fully its catching and we will deliver the gold..

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hope his trunks stay on.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have watched a bit more of the action this evening and I have to say that it feels that the Olympics have finished. I don't mean we won't win anything else or that there isn't more action to come. What I mean is that without some cycling and swimming and stuff the Athletics is boring as ****. I just can't get excited about it. There is something about cycling that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Still, a good few more medals in the bag and just a case of knowing what colour. The Athletics will seem a big let down after that.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sought of chain reaction I assume......:rolleyes:....:D.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Getting bored with GB winning things now. Time to end it all and bring the team home. According to the world press we cheat anyway. Well, some of the world press that is. Okay, the Russian press.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well I see the Yanks have managed to manipulate the 4 x 100 women's relay and are back in it. The Chinese, who are now not in it, should use this to show the Yanks what a real mugging is and not a fake one. What a pile of crap those swimmers are for lying their teeth out. I genuinely hope the world's press rip them apart and if the american press knows what's good for it they should do it as well. I hope that's the last the Olympics will see of that bunch. Not just this Olympics but every O;ympics. Absolute shocking behaviour.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well, I watched the Women's Hockey final tonight and have to say I'm well impressed with the fitness level of the players. An hour of virtually non-stop running and effort. It was quite edge of seat stuff so maybe it is only the Athletics that makes it feel the Olympics are over. I did think GB had blown it more than once and the Netherlands probably feel like they were robbed but they weren't. Like any sport with goals deciding you have to score more than the opposition. Defence is as much of the game as attacking and goal scoring chances and GB stuck to it and got their reward. The GB Keeper should be given a Dame hood. Outstanding. So another Gold and one in the Horsey thing. Maybe several more to follow even now with chances in Boxing and the kicking contest. Old Mo F still to do the 5000 metres. Not sure how Tom is doing at the moment. Another GB day me thinks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

WE WON A PENALTY SHOOT-OUT......well England with a few others to make it a UK team.

Never gave up even when they were under severe pressure in the third and fourth quarters......the Dutch are No1 in the world and you could see why.....but the girls never gave up.....how do you compare them to our mens England football team who our millionaires and total flops.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Footballers should be made to lock themselves in a room and watch the video of that game over and over till they get it. It would or should put them to shame.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Forgot to mention Tom finished top of the class for qualification this evening. Lets hope he does as well tomorrow in the final bit.

15. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I caught the tail end of this. I always understood that the winners of any penalty shoot-out were the Germans even if they weren't actually in the preceding match. It now seems that's not so.

I read somewhere that due to the need-to-breed of pre-historic man, the average modern male can still spot from afar tiny, tiny differences in the size ratios between the various components of the female body.

Changing the subject entirely, that Sam Quek is a fine hockey player isn't she?

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Tom Daley comes last of eighteen in the semi-final.....top twelve go through to tonights final.....he was as poor as he was good yesterday.....well down on every dive he made.........four years wasted.

17. Greenarmyjoe

He should have spent more time diving than messing about on tv programmes such as splash or flop.. Time for him to retire.. :emoticon-0139-bow:

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Did anyone watch the last boxing match between Joyce and the frenchie? How the feck did the French bloke win that. For me he didn't win a round at all or anywhere near it. How 2 of the 3 judges could possibly see it the way they did is beyond me. I absolutely hate the politics of amateur boxing. Some of the results they come to are so blatantly wrong it's criminal. Mostly the contests are quite easy to judge and I can forgive the very very close ones which are rightly down to a personal view and marginal difference. At least 3 I have seen this time have not even been remotely close to call. Yet the results have gone the other way. This often happens in major competitions in boxing so is nothing new. How it is allowed to go on though is beyond me. Our boy was robbed and stopped a millimeter short of saying so himself. He knows he was seen off but dare not say it.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Joyce clearly won the first round......how did he not get the points ?

They weren't the same judges that marked that unlucky Irishman earlier in the week ?

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Quite possibly plym. I marked the first round 10 - 9 to Joyce. The second round could have been a 10 - 8 to Joyce given he did 99% of the work in it. The last round was another 10 - 9 to Joyce minimum. The result was a joke. It is a waste of time appealing in boxing though. They have done this for years in boxing and nobody ever gets fired or done for it. Mind you they do it in professional boxing as well.