1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedorDead, Jan 10, 2020.

1. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Tragic news for Canadian Rush fans as they are a national treasure. I saw them 3 times and was amazed at the sound put out by three musicians and the percussion performance from Neil was world class and I rated him among the top three in the world. My condolences to all his family and Geddy and Alex who along with Neil made up one of the best rock bands ever. Regrettably he passed away from brain cancer which also claimed the life of Gord Downey from The Tragically Hip a year or so ago and when I look back at being so fortunate to see them both in concert it tells me that Canada can really rock.

R.I.P.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

was played after pop master today as a tribute

4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

When I was at school, we had to take part in a school concert at the Colston hall. We were there all day practicing before the concert and at lunchtime a few of us sneaked through a side door which connected to the Hippodrome next door, where a rock band were setting up.
    We sat on the front row seats in the empty hippodrome and munched our crisps and sandwiches whilst we watched them play a few numbers while getting their sound set up. It was Rush!!!!

5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

don't think that door went to the hippodrome that's in Denmark street? about half a mile away, might have been somewhere in the COLSTON complex ?

was that 1980 /81 ? I vaguely remember seeing them before one of my expeditions to the dachstein which took place from 1977 to 1981 possibly 1980 as later in 81 was made redundant October time ..... probably it was after easter??

6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

A truly great drummer and held the record for the worlds largest drum kit. Not sure if it still stands.

RIP Neil. Gone to play with the other greats we've lost like Lemmy, Fast Eddie Clarke, Phil Taylor, Phil Lynott, Gary Moore, Ronnie James Dio and co.

7. bcfcredandwhite

I was about 12 years old so it would have been 79 or maybe 80.

8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

That was Farewell to the Kings. Did they play Xanadu? If they did you are one lucky man.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  9. bcfcredandwhite

Sorry ROD - I wouldn’t know even if they did. I didn’t even know who they were back then :(
    I only had ears for Jeff Lynne and his revamped ELO. Anything else was just ‘noise’ ......
    I’ve changed now btw to embrace other musical geniuses......

RedorDead likes this.
  10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Peart should definitely be on that list of geniuses.

11. Angelicnumber16

I've been lucky enough to see Vinny Appice a few times, including a few weeks ago in Bristol with Last In Line, and even speak to him via e-mail.
    Neil Peart, Cozy Powell, John Bonham, Ian Paice, Ian Mosely (Marillion), Bill Ward, Phil Taylor (Philthy Animal) Vinny and Carmine Appice, Bev Bevan, and the much maligned Ringo Starr - all legends to me.

But I'm sure you lot can come up with more ?

12. bcfcredandwhite

The Searchers, the Monkees, INXS, Hazel O’Connor, ELO, Bruce Springsteen, Toto, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Tina Turner, Bryan Adams, Chris Rea, The Kinks, Ralph McTell, TPau, Rod Stewart, The Who, Focus, Wishbone Ash
    I think that’s it for me
    Out of all those I only had a 1-1 personal interaction with Ralph McTell, who wrote out ‘Streets of London’ for me on the back of my programme and signed it!

13. Angelicnumber16

I actually just meant drummers, but I agree with a lot of your choices too as I'm old enough !
    Blackmore's Night also covered Streets of London and they also do an amazing cover of Diamonds And Rust which was originally by Joan Baez. Have a listen.
    Saw Jeff Lynnes ELO at the O2 when he toured Alone In The Universe a few years ago. The guy is a genius. Totally awesome.
    I'd also have to add Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Motorhead, Dire Straits (and Mark Knopfler as a solo artist), AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath to the list though.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.