1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you -glad you are OK - have worried as nobody heard from you at all. Hopefully you "lurk" occasionally. All the best

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  2. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

So so sad. So many memories. So much joy and pride he gave us, his big family.

3. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

My generation are the fans who grew up as part of his vision as WFC as the family club. I was a season ticket holder in the Family Enclosure when it was first came into being in 1981, which meant that I was automatically a Junior Hornet member and was at the Xmas parties where he and all the players attended. When I missed the first match when we were sponsored by Solvite because I was in hospital, I had delivered to me the following day a goody bag as the other children in the FE had. Although he didn't bring them himself, as I have already said, those sort of things wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for him. This was a man, who despite having to end his career early due to injury, ran the London Marathon to raise funds for the Family Terrace. If you were wearing a WFC top at the cricket matches at Langleybury, he would walk round the boundary to come and talk to you. There were also the Open Days with the tables at the Vic Road end in front of the terracing.

4. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

So much joy bought to so many by a very big man. GT the definition of a gentlemen, the definition of Watford Football Club for many including myself. His values, his morals, his ethics were a level above normal humans. If he'd chosen the cloth instead of football he would have been sainted. An enormous loss in my heart, I feel for his family and am proud to consider myself and my fellow orns his extended family, we loved you GT, we will love what you were and what you did for club and community and forever will your memory last...

5. Roger68

Roger68 Active Member

It is amazing how many people have posted to express admiration and respect for Graham, both here and on the Watford Observer site. It must be a comfort to his family to know how much he was respected. Very few people leave such an impression. An extraordinary man..We can be proud that he was "ours".

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you again GG - hope all is well with you.

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

8. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I've been in bits since I heard at lunchtime. I posted a small tribute, below, on an Udinese forum earlier.

He was responsible for Watford's meteoric rise from the bottom third of the 4th Division in 1977 to finish Runner's-Up in the First Division in 1983 and took us to the FA Cup Final in 1984. After ten years at the helm he went on to manage Aston Villa (promoted to the 1st Division then Runner's Up the following season) and this continued success there got him the England job. He then went on to manage Wolverhampton Wanderers with success, before returning to Watford and gaining promotion to the Premier League in 1999. His first managerial job was at Lincoln City where he led the club to the 4th Division title in 1976, prompting Elton John to sign him up ahead of former England captain Bobby Moore. The rest, as we say, is history. He was also Chairman from 2009-2012, Honourary Life President and has one of our stands named after him. Not bad for a journeyman footballer who plied his trade in the 3rd and 4th Divisions at Scunthorpe Utd, Grimsby Town and Lincoln City.

I had the privilege of having four conversations with the man: once at a players presentation evening (I was 15/16); on the way home from a 3-0 defeat at Sunderland; once at a players presentation night; once at a reserve team fixture (we had just lost out on signing a Russian centre-forward that day, he was not in a good mood, bless!) and then once more after he had donated blood at a local community hall - he spoke for over half an hour with me and a work colleague on that occasion.

Bereaved.

I can't begin to tell you how much that last conversation meant to me, but the first one was probably the most poignant and so fatherly. I, and several of my friends, have been in bits.

Not his tipple, I know, but I'm having a rather large glass of The Hibiki 17 in his honour. CHEERS! Graham, and Thank You... for the advice, for your time, for the memories.... for everything.

9. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Like you i have been crying on and off all day Thank you for my dreams Mr Watford

10. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I have never felt anywhere near this amount of grief for someone I have never met.

11. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Wonderful tributes from so many - hopefully the papers have done GT justice too.

12. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Great to hear from you SLB as you know :)

Yes GT was God... and LB , son of god ;)

I was just watching LB on breakfast TV remembering his first meeting with GT... called into his office when GT arrived at the Vic to see if he had a future at Watford.

GT's first words were " LUTHER BLISSETT... LUTHER BLISSETT.... LUTHER BLISSETT,... WITH A NAME LIKE THAT YOU HAVE TO BE A STAR...."

The rest is history

Stay close SLB..... we are all the Watford family

<hug>

13. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I never met Graham Taylor but I sense the loss. Even for me this is like losing your favourite uncle.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you GG - hope all is well.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  15. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Just been reading all your lovely/loving tributes and anecdotes <wah> but :emoticon-0152-heart

16. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I think just looking at all the messages over social media shows what a man GT was - not just Watford (Villa and Wolves) fans, but all over the football community, and beyond. The same theme is coming through - he was a pure Gentleman who had time for anyone. He did so much, for so many. His legacy will always be remembered at the Vic, and so glad he got to see a Stand named after him!

On a side note, it's nice to see a few old names on here too....

andytoprankin likes this.
  17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I will second that. Name most notable for its absence is Hornette - think she is away on holiday - she will be devastated.

.... just checked her last posting -she said she will be back for tomorrow's game - good

18. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Yes Leo, H is coming home today and she is absolutely devastated!

19. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Elton is in the States at present, and I feel sure he will be so sad not to be at the Vic tomorrow. A great partnership.

20. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Never thought one of the nicest people I ever met who gave me so much enjoyment and pride would go so soon.

Above all else he was a great human being. I remember asking him to sign a program for my neighbours 12 year old son. When I told him he couldn't be at the game as he was playing football GT offered that that was what it was all about. Playing the game. Much more important. A treasured 10 minutes as he sat at the table showing interest in everyone.

The world has lost someone special. Thoughts for his family. RIP