1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

One day in about 1984/5 I played hockey in Sandbach, and noticed in the clubhouse the WFC pennant. I discovered that GT had asked Don Shaw (referee) who lived in Sandbach to find a club where the team could train on the morning of away matches in L'pool/Man and Lancashire. He recommended Fodens sports ground in Sandbach. Hence the pennant. It turned out that WFC were coming up the very next w/e to play Everton. So, a close friend Mike Rance, (erstwhile chairman of Macclesfield Town),his 2 sons, myself, and 2 sons all donned our WFC scarves on the Sat morning and trooped off and into the sports ground just to watch our heroes. John Barnes etc. BTW, the tricks that Tony Coton could do with the ball made me wonder why he played in goal, until you saw him in goal - and then compared him with anyone else who played in goal. Anyway, we met with GT, chatted although he had enough else to do, got a photograph taken, the 4 boys with him - just a few minutes in a busy schedule, but he was that generous a man. For that alone I have a special memory of him.
    I wonder how it will affect things Saturday - I wish I could be there . I hope the atmosphere is a real tribute to him , and as he would say, the result matters too.

andytoprankin and LIBERTARIAN like this.
  2. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

It's so good at a time like this to see how someone can make such a mark and leave such a powerful impression without bluster, boasting, complaining, criticising, points-scoring or running others down. He was a lovely man but he was good at what he did too. There was so much about him other public figures could learn from. I'd rather he'd stayed with us longer but he's left a huge number of people with very fond memories.

andytoprankin and LIBERTARIAN like this.
  3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

A minute's applause will be held before the weekend's English Football League matches, clubs will also be given the option of letting their players wear black armbands during the games.
    The Premier League will leave the decision of whether to pay tribute to individual clubs, hopefully they will all show their due respect.

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

Thanks BB, kind thought. I'm doing ok given the circumstances; have been keeping the world at arm's length, because I find my ms and disability easier to handle if I stay in my bubble.
    I've been lurking though, and as true an 'Orn as ever.

andytoprankin and Bolton's Boots like this.
  5. Golden Gordon

Thanks Leo, and the sentiment is mutual. Nice to drop in to see old friends and family- such a devastatingly sad occasion though.

6. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

I have opened this thread several times to post a comment, every time I read what overs have said and got too choked up to post anything
    In these modern times I feel that GT's legacy to Watford is that when the Pozzo's were looking for a slumbering giant to reawaken they chose Watford based on the success achieved by Watford under GT and Elton in the eighties
    Without GT and EJ we would be a slumbering minnow hoping to survive
    I feel for the family he left behind, my father went the same way, quick and painless for him, devastating for us
    Lets give him the farewell tomorrow he deserves and would have loved

7. Golden Gordon

Two memories:
    I wrote to him about some appalling stewarding and treatment of Hornets fans at the place up the road one Boxing Day in the 80's. He replied by hand to thank me and to say that he and the club were aware of the problems and were looking into it.
    I really hope that letter is still in the boxes of my programmes up in the loft.

And 80's again: remember the big "I'm sorry" placard? I can't think if any other manager who would have done that. ( This was after he had expressed disappointment about a perceived lack of passion in our support.)

8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

GT the man. Just had to share this.

My ex-wife I haven't seen for 15 years or been in contact with for 12 years came to two games. We were stuffed by Everton 4-0 up there and she went to the Vic just once (forgotten the game). She hated football. But at the Vic we had the lunch in the entertainment bit. Her memory of GT:

"Must admit I did think of you and Watford when I heard the news about Graham Taylor. I remember that time we met him and he was such a nice bloke; very sad indeed.".

I'm surprised she even remembered as at the time she didn't know who he was. But clearly he had an impact. As many have said GT wasn't just football. He touched many.

9. Bloother

Bloother Well-Known Member

If there was ever a thread to contribute to, this is it. Devastated. So proud of two things:

• he is finally getting the recognition he deserves for his achievements; and
    • the number of times the words 'gentleman' and 'decent' have been (and are being) used to describe him.
    He WAS a genuine gentleman and he WAS a thoroughly, thoroughly decent man. I am so, so proud that Graham Taylor was the manager of MY club.

Scullion and andytoprankin like this.
  10. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Agreed NZ. I never met him either but it goes to show the mark of the man that even if you never met him, he changed your life. Wembley in 99 was one of the greatest days of my life, and who was responsible? GT of course!

andytoprankin and kchorn like this.

11. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more about the recognition, Bloother. So true. He was treated appallingly by the media for many, many years, and News24 did dwell a bit too much on Lineker for my liking. Graham Taylor rose above it. His name is synonymous with dignity and integrity. I'm glad he knew how much esteem he was held in at Watford.

I got most choked up when I picked up my youngest son from school. I explained the sad news to him as we walked down the slope away from the school and I got a bit lost for words. I ended up walking and hugging young Seb, as I said "He was a very great man."

I went to see my Dad today. He had broken the news to me yesterday, full of tears. He said today that Sophie Raworth came on the television saying, "We have sad breaking news that Graham..." At which point my Dad said he ran to the television shouting, "NO! NO! NO! NO!..." with his hands ahead of him, as if it would stop the news. My Dad isn't like that. He's a tough, big old sod. But this hit him so hard. He's six years older than Graham Taylor and he didn't see yesterday's news happening in his time, he said.

I told him my wife, Matej and Seb and I will represent him and his Dad at the game tomorrow. And we represent all of you who are unable to go, too. I'll say a word to GT tomorrow for you all, I promise.

12. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

For me make that word "THANKYOU". GT will understand. Then enjoy the game because that was what he would want.

13. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Will do, kc. <ok>

14. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

RIP Graham. Thanks for the fantastic memories which you gave us which I am sure will never leave us.
    It was the about the time that GT signed Peter Crouch for Villa. Villa were travelling down to play Ipswich at Portman Road on the Friday night and Steve Brister ( also now sadly passed ) had asked the great man to come and meet the Norfolk Hornets in a pub in Swaffam which he duly did. There were only about 20 of us and he asked that we use our discretion about not repeating some of the things we might hear during the evening. One of these things was that he received a phone call and asked us to be quiet whilst he took it. He said we would hear about the content soon enough, and sure enough in a couple of days the signing of Crouchy was announced. He enthralled us for over two hours before leaving.
    What a great man.

andytoprankin and kchorn like this.
  15. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Thank you Andy.

16. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Gee I must be in xtra shock, I read LB as Laurence Bazzini at first and not a drink has passed my lips.

17. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

18. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

19. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

It would be great if he was there. But, the most important thing is that all Hornets fans pay their respects, shed a tear or two but then.........make enough noise to raise the dead for 90 mins. All of you lucky enough to be there must sing for the rest of us - so I can hear it in Cologne !

aberdeenhornet and andytoprankin like this.
  20. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I want you all to wake my neighbours!

aberdeenhornet and andytoprankin like this.