1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic RIP

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Real Madrid and Spain legend Francisco 'Paco' Gento has died aged 88.

Gento, who spent 18 years with Real from 1953-1971, is the only player to have won six European Cups.

The left-winger made 600 appearances for the club and scored 182 goals as he also helped them to 12 league crowns, two Copa del Rey titles and one Intercontinental Cup.

He won 43 caps for Spain and represented his country in the 1962 and 1966 World Cups.

His club record of 23 trophies, which stood for over 50 years, was equalled on Sunday by Real captain Marcelo when he came on as a substitute in the club's Spanish Super Cup-winning victory.

A truly great player. RIP<rose><rose>

RiverEndRick likes this.
  2. Bure budgie

Meat Loaf, the singer whose Bat Out Of Hell album is one of the best-selling of all time, has died at the age of 74.

The news was confirmed on the star's Facebook page by his family.

"Our hearts are broken to announce that the incomparable Meat Loaf passed away tonight with his wife Deborah by his side," a message read.

The Bat Out of Hell star sold 100 million albums worldwide and appeared in movies like Fight Club, Focus, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Wayne's World.

My all time favourite. Really sad news.
    RIP Big Man, give them hell<rose><rose>

3. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was a great singer, he had a heart attack a few years back so when he performed after that he limited his sets to 2 hours, but what a singer!

Bure budgie likes this.
  4. Bure budgie

Bamber Gascoigne, the scion of an aristocratic and military family who found fame as the quizmaster of University Challenge and hosted the show for 25 years, has died at the age of 87.

Gascoigne, the originator of catchphrases such as “your starter for 10”, died at home in Richmond, south-west London, after a short illness.

He was the first host of University Challenge when the cerebral quiz show began airing in 1962, and remained in the quizmaster’s chair for 913 episodes until 1987.

A true TV icon. RIP Bamber <rose><rose>

zogean_king likes this.
  5. Bure budgie

Gary Brooker, the frontman of 1960s rock band Procol Harum, has died at the age of 76, his record label has confirmed.

The London-born singer led the band throughout their 55-year history, co-writing and singing their most famous song, 1967's A Whiter Shade of Pale.

He was appointed an OBE in 2003, and A Whiter Shade of Pale was honoured by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

Brooker died at his home from cancer on Saturday, the band said in a statement.

Probably the most iconic song of the 60's

RIP Gary <rose><rose>

6. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

7. Bure budgie

Legendary Australia wicketkeeper Rod Marsh has died aged 74 after suffering a heart attack.

Marsh was taken ill last Thursday while travelling to a charity cricket match in Queensland.

He effected 355 dismissals - a world record at the time of his retirement - in 96 Test appearances for Australia from 1970 to 1984.

He also played 92 one-day internationals and served as Australia men's chairman of selectors until 2016.

Marsh is third on Australia's all-time dismissals list behind Adam Gilchrist with 416 and Ian Healy's 395.

Great character RIP Rod<rose><rose>

zogean_king and Walsh.i.am like this.
  8. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Marsh and now Shane Warne at the age of 52. Suspected heart attack at his house in Koh Samui.

Bure budgie likes this.
  9. Bure budgie

Just read that What a shocker.
    He truly WAS GOAT.

RIP Warny<rose><rose>

10. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Yeah the English fans use to boo Warne in the second half of his career, but the booing was out of respect like a pantomime boo, he knew it, we knew it. As a young leg spinner myself whilst growing up (used to play for Dereham youth teams and 3rds/2nds +-Sunday league before I went off to uni) he was my idol. Yes he played for the Australians, but I wanted to be able to bowl half as good as him! What a character!

11. Bure budgie

The thing with Warny was they he always came across as being on the lads.
    A few beers, a few women, a few joints etc.
    A likeable Aussie, and there ain't many of them.

zogean_king likes this.
  12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I remember when he was piling on a few pounds, at Trent Bridge, we started singing "who ate all the pies"
    The stewards waded in and threatened ejection if it happened again...the song changed to "who ate all the quiche"
    Stewards not impressed but hilarity in the terraces <ok>

RiverEndRick and zogean_king like this.
  13. Bure budgie

Were you a regular at Trent Bridge buddy?

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

No, only that one visit.

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Taylor Hawkins: Foo Fighters drummer dies aged 50, band announces.
    Aged just 50, he leaves a wife and three children. No cause of death has been given.
    RIP Taylor. <peacedove> <rose>

16. Bure budgie

Not known to anyone on here, but my Ukrainian daughter in law has lost her father today.
    He was a resident of Lviv, and had recently been living outside the City with his wife and their family.
    Not directly due to the war, but the concern and worry contributed to his premature death.

RIP Yaroslav <rose><rose>

17. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that, Bure.

It makes me sick to think about all the innocent people who are suffering because of one man who has no heart or soul.

zogean_king and Bure budgie like this.
  18. Bure budgie

Thanks for that buddy, much appreciated.

My Daughter in law is obviously in pieces, and is unable to visit Ukraine for the funeral.
    She has been trying for weeks to get visas for her family, but the red tape is horrendous.
    Her mum and dad are both in their late 70's,are no threat, and their daughter and my son have both the finances to support them, and the accommodation to house them.
    For Boris and his cronies to spought on about they are doing all they can is absolute bollocks.
    I really am ashamed of what little we are doing to help Ukraine.

19. Bure budgie

Great send off today for Warney.

20. Bure budgie

upload_2022-4-5_18-29-59.png

The D-day veteran Harry Billinge, who at 18 was one of the first British soldiers to land on Gold beach in 1944, has died the age of 96 after a short illness, his family have said.

As a sapper attached to the 44 Royal Engineer Commandos, Billinge was one of only four men from his 10-man unit to survive the landings and subsequent battles in France, later fighting in Caen and the Falaise pocket in Normandy.

He settled in Cornwall and went on to raise more than £50,000 for veterans, including for a national memorial honouring his fallen comrades. He was made an MBE in 2019 for charitable fundraising, and he was also awarded France’s highest award, the Légion d’honneur.
    RIP Harry, a true hero <rose><rose>

zogean_king likes this.