1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch and other teams

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Aug 26, 2012.

1. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Thought i would create a thread to comment on our rivals' progress.

Arenal lacking cutting edge at stoke

City enjoying a lot of possession v the mice so far

2. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

I shall sticky this <ok>

3. Purley

Purley Well-Known Member

Don't consider liverpool our rivals so i hope they win.

4. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Not so much that they're our rivals or not, I just couldn't stand their mob gloating after beating the Champions.

High scoring draw would suit me fine :D

5. Yurilly

Yurilly Well-Known Member

I'm a bit split on this.

On the one hand I love seeing Liverpool get smashed left right and centre, but on the other City are likely to be one of our main title rivals and so losing by as much as possible would be best.

I am therefore hoping for a Liverpool win as it is best for the club overall.

6. Purley

Purley Well-Known Member

Going to plan Drogs! <laugh> <ok>

7. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

City have been crap, United have looked shaky. I think it'll be us London boys going for the Prem this year

8. Bucks Blue

Bucks Blue Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2-2 is a good result for us. Liverpool are 8 points off us and Citeh have dropped points whilst the Chels go marching on!!

p.s good job on stickying *sp* *does word exist?* this thread :)

9. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Drogs you genius

10. blueboy83

blueboy83 Member

My thoughts thus far:

Man City - haven't impressed so far. Struggled to beat Southampton last week and lucky to draw today. But with a squad like theirs, expect them to kick on soon.

Man United - Not had a great start to the season but to be honest they rarely do. They will improve, especially when defenders return from injury.

Arsenal - question was always if they could replace Van Persie's goals, a question that still remains open.

Tottenham - ha!

Liverpool - new manager, same old problems. Look good against the big boys, struggle against the littler teams.

11. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Drogs mate - we should have smashed the champions yesterday <ok>

But either way you don't get gloating from me.....

P.S. We are your ****ing rivals and you know it! - didn't anyone tell you lot "next years our year"? <ok>

12. Varier2

Varier2 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Man City - Haven't gotten going but should start rolling in the points soon. Oddly enough, I'm not sure they're as good as last season. I mean, Rodwell, really? Still the best squad though.

Man Utd - Have a very strong strike force, but the midfield even with Kagawa is poor, and the defence is easily exploitable. However, they are United, they will pick up points all the time.

Arsenal - Have no cutting edge. Defence has always been weak, and without a decent striker they look very average.

Tottenham - Probably have gone backwards as well. AVB hasn't changed since he left us. Dull.

Liverpool - Barring the absolute disaster of a first day, I see them as much more dangerous than Arsenal and Tottenham. Just need to learn how to play well against lower teams.

13. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Sky ;)

14. District Line

Forum Moderator

I still think City are the team to beat and nothing has changed my mind.

Arsenal - I still think they are stronger than they were last year in most areas of the pitch. I still think their squad is considerably better than Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs. A quality striker and they will be having a good season

Everton - Very strong XI but lack the squad. They could struggle when the FA Cup games come into play and teams are playing twice a week. Fellaini and Jelavic would get into any PL team and improve them. I am backing them to replace Spurs in the top 6.

Liverpool - I don't think they'll do as badly as people expect. But the sooner they realise Suarez is overrated and isn't a 30 goal a season player the better they'll be. They need a goalscorer (Jelavic type), a centre half and a quality winger.

Newcastle - First XI is as good as any but the sooner they get knocked out the Europa League the better. As Saturday proved they can't cope with 2 games a week and before anyone says only 3 players played the rest of the players still have to travel and it's the psychological side of it as well. How far they go depends on when they are knocked out the Europa League.

Man City - Weak defensively but can score goals for fun, still the best squad in the league by a mile IMO. 4 points from 6 and they've not even turned up. When they hit the 4th gear they really take some stopping. I still think they need to sign a few players, they need to do what we did after 04/05. Can't afford to hand United or Chelsea any impetus.

Spurs - I still think its a squad filled with many deadwood/average players. I said ages ago it would be a massive rebuilding job for AVB (Moreso than with us). Apart from Sandro I'm struggling to see any quality central midfielders in that side or any quality centre halves, I rate Walker, Lennon and Bale although the latter is inconsistent but I fail to see where the goals are coming from. Adebayor will lose interest soon and Defoe at the moment is hardly prolific. As it stands I think they'll get 7th.

United - Good side but very overrated IMO. I said at the time the media were ****ing over the RVP/Rooney partnership they would be rivals not partners, they cannot play together. United still haven't addressed the problems they had last season so I don't see how they can overhaul City.

My top 6 in no particular order is: Us, United, City, Arsenal, Everton, *Newcastle/Liverpool.

Newcastle if knocked out the Europa League early and Liverpool if they aren't. Newcastle are the better team though

15. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We realised this a while back. We actually want to the next player to come in to be a goalscorer. Suarez is brilliant at his tricks and at creating chances, but he can't seem to finish. I'd like a proven goalscorer to come in, and push Suarez wide right which was where he played for Ajax and plays for Uruguay <ok>

16. District Line

Forum Moderator

Looks like the Spuds are getting Hugo Lloris. I'm semi-gutted he's a fantastic goalkeeper and one of the best shot stoppers in the world.

Looks like Friedel is back on his zimmerframe and King Carlo's days are numbered.

AVB looks to be stamping his authority on their side now.

17. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Think we will battle Arsenal for third. Like us, they have bought well but both clubs lack strength in depth up front.
    Liverpool should improve under BR but their squad is still decidedly average; a legacy of KKK's panic spending.
    City needed to refresh their squad to stay ahead of United. They will spend in jan.

United did not need RVP (unless Roon is injured all season). And when Rooney is fit it just means Kagawa may be forced out of the hole. But they can win the title anyway. Like us, they need a dominant CM

18. chelsea - over 100 years of history

City - Team to beat, champions and have a very good squad. On top of that they now have the experience of a title run in and getting the job done. If they can cope with teams raising their game to play the champions, they should win the league.

United - Couple of good signings but have they really addressed the problems they had last year? I'm not so sure. That midfield looks very weak to me and Giggs/Scholes are another year older. Will always pick up points though and should easily be top 3.

Arsenal - Some good signings negated by selling 2 of their best players. They have absolutely no chance of competing for the title as they have at best, stood still. I'd expect a top 4 as they are hard for a lot of teams to play against but will struggle for goals and draws will cost them this year.

Spurs - Maybe a little early to say as I expect another couple of deals to be done but losing Modric and Ledley King are massive. I'd expect a push for top 4 once the side gets settled but they look light up front especially. As it stands, I'd say they have gone backwards and have a lot of average players in that squad.

Newcastle - Will be hard for them to match last season and they have a small squad. If they prioritise the league over Europe and are lucky with injuries, are a good bet for top 6 again.

Liverpool - A team in transition and suffering from so many over priced average players. I expect them to be better and more consistent in the second half of the season but where are the goals coming from? Gerrard another year older, Lucas injury prone etc. Tough first season for BR and I can't see a top 6 finish at the moment.

Everton - Much the same as Newcastle squad wise so will depend on injuries etc. Fancy them to fight for top 6 but maybe just miss out.

Chelsea - European Champions and have started the best of all the top sides. Only a fool would right us off but maybe a year too soon for a team in transition. Hazard could be player of the year though. I expect top 4 finish but could be anywhere in that.

If i was sticking my neck out now i'd go City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton, Liverpool.

19. - SW6 -

- SW6 - Well-Known Member

Based on the end result from last seasons performance with the Ginger Midget in charge, it would seem that we have more rivals than we'd previously thought...

20. District Line

Forum Moderator

Looks like Spuds are getting Dembele :headbang: