1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Mainly because he's a nasty piece of **** on the pitch which the pundits always turn a blind eye to

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Still seems weird to me that a foul which caused broken bones in the head isn't deemed to be dangerous and worthy of a red card. Massive error by the officials.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've not seen it, so I'm not talking about this foul specifically, but the result shouldn't affect the punishment.
    Son's foul on Gomes that eventually resulted in a bad break was a yellow and should've stayed one, for example.
    I don't think that the clash of heads that ended Ryan Mason's career was even a foul, IIRC.

remembercolinlee and BobbyD like this.
  4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

agree with all 3 points.

here you go pnp

pretty cynical foul. Unfortunate accident really. Rudiger does have a mean streak in him though alongside the likes of lamela, suarez, ramos etc where it's a pretty thin line they play along

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Unfortunate accident? He shoulder checks him in the face! <laugh>

Suarez and Ramos are like Diego Costa. Pure filth. Rely on playing for certain clubs to avoid punishment.
    Neither Suarez or Costa were ever sent off in the Premier League, rather unbelievably.

6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

KDB goes into his shoulder and rudiger deliberately gets in the way. I wouldn't really say that rudiger drops his shoulder in like a rugby or american football tackle. That sort of obstruction happens all day long in every match

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I disagree. That sort of obstruction does happen in every game and City do it a hell of a lot themselves, but not with a shoulder to the face.
    It looks designed to hurt him, rather than stop him. He's not going anywhere and Rudiger has ages to prepare for it.
    He seeks him out to do it. I'm not saying that he was trying to break his face, but he was certainly putting one on him.

8. PowerSpurs

Logically you are correct, but this was definitely a deliberate foul. The ref gave a yellow card which is the one thing it couldn't have been. The ball was yards away so I'd have called it Violent Conduct.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Chopper Harris lives again?

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Not a red for me.
    Cynical but if he hadn't had the serious injury it probably wouldn't even be discussed as a red tbh.

BobbyD likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Tbh body check fouls happen at least once per game. Either they make it a mandatory red or it's a yellow.
    The argument re Son from dome Everton fans was the fact that Gomes was severely hurt proved it was dangerous so dhould have been a red. It was overturned cos in truth the injury was a fluke.
    I think it's the same in this case.
    As for De Bruyne, I don't like that he gets away with very similar blocks and other cynical tackles but hope he makes the Euros as it'll be a shame that a great player is missing.

BobbyD likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

13. PowerSpurs

In the Son case the injury happened as an indirect consequence of Son's foul. In this case the injury was a direct consequence of Rudiger's shoulder going into de Bruyne's face. That's a big difference for me. It was clearly a deliberate foul off the ball so should be punished to the full extent possible.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Good post <ok>

I have no love for City or Chelsea or the manufactured way they've "acquired" their success. I see a marked difference between growing something big organically instead of manufacturing a side with new money. However, I do think that if something similar happened to any club, most fans of that club would look at it as if they'd won the lottery and would welcome the success it brought/bought.

With regards to the owners of City, even though I consider them and thei club as rivals, I have to acknowledge they've at least tried to look after their fans (all 12 of them lol) - considering their recent successes, City's season tickets are amoung some of the cheapest in the Prem. And footing the travel cost of all fans to the CL final was also a nice touch.

They've also contributed massively to the local area and to the city beyond the club itself. They've invested in disability football, mental health for youngsters in the community, donated land for leisure centres, schools and colleges, and of course the development in the area as a result of the new stadium which is transforming the area and the local economy.

Places like Ancoats were left to rot thanks to Thatcher, but industry, jobs, redevelopment is coming into there so I can only judge them on their actions. There's still a question marks over how their involvement will improve housing for the most deprived in the area and I'll judge them on that also when the time comes. - but at the moment the vast majority of their work suggests the owners genuinely care about the club and the city. Owning a PL club isn't just a play thing for them.

BobbyD, Diego and crackerman jack like this.
  15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Sportswashing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportswashing

16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

No I've heard of this. There's a heck of a lot on that list. Half the world cups by the looks of it <laugh>

Obviously I don't like it if it's the case, but if ppl are really against the actions these organisations are allegedly trying to cover up, are they boycotting all the businesses they're involved in or just the football clubs? If you're buying any product they are shareholders in, it kind of undermines the point.

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Given that virtually all of them are involved in the production of energy of some kind, it's basically impossible to avoid their products.
    There are other companies, like Nestle, that are also incredibly hard to avoid, due to the number of subsidiaries that they have.
    They know people hate them and why, so they diversify and hide the brand.

Treble likes this.
  18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

There's a few clubs left off of there, too

Thaksin Shinawatra prior to Sheikh Mansour
    Alexander Medvedev at Zenit
    Dmitry Rybolovlev at Monaco

Add to that Los Ladrones are reportedly in negotiations with Saudi state-owned Qiddiya project to get a reported £150m slug into their finances

Treble likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

That's for a place in the final, which wins you a spot in the Europa Conference League first qualifying round next season.
    Brings back memories of Roy Carroll, who's also from Northern Ireland.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  20. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

No it doesn't. That Pedro Mendes shot was so far over the line, the bloke who runs the hot dog van had to fetch the ball.