1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Potter really is a top, top coach and tactician. If Man Utd have any sense about them, they'd be seriously considering him to take over. I genuinely believe with proper financial backing behind him, he'd make them an elite side again.

remembercolinlee and Diego like this.
  2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid. We don't want that!!!

3. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Potter wasn't and isn't available.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We're safe there then.

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We would destroy him, good managers need players to put the effort in to make things work.

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I've met his cousin, Leonard Couldobetter,

7. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Everton job would be ideal for him. Would he want it though?

8. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

The one thing that holds me back on Potter is something I've noticed with Poch and the way he started to struggle here after we moved into the new stadium and his current struggles at PSG.

I rate him and Potter as two of the best coaches in the modern game. Brilliant style of football, likeable personalities, phenomenal togetherness among the team etc.

But so much of their approach depends on an 'us v them' mentality. The energy, fight and teamwork that were the hallmark of a Poch side and are now the hallmark of Potter's side stem from everyone being on the same wavelength all the time.

Change that for a changing room full of egos and the core ingredient for success gets a bit shaky. It's one thing getting the likes of Dunk and Trossard to sing from your hymn sheet...how do you get the likes of Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo and Bruno to sing and to sing as passionately?

It is a uniquely difficult challenge and one that I am sure most managers out there are unsuited to tackle without being given total free reign over a club and being allowed to sell players at a loss if necessary if they undermine the overall project. Chances of that happening at a club of Utd's size are zero. Poch hinted many times that it needed to happen here, but it didn't and in the end he lost his job while certain players who i am sure he intended to ditch were awarded new contracts. Such is the modern game.

So in a way, Potter staying at Brighton but magically signing a 20 goal striker is somewhat scarier than Potter moving to a club full of tik-tok clothing range pseudo-celebrities braiding their hair in the dressing room mirrors.

9. Citizen Kane.

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

There I go again.

I'll never get to sleep at this rate.

Liam Goodenough

<rofl>

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We have egos(**** knows why) and someone like Conte is the man to sort it without a doubt but I’m hearing that some fans think he is the wrong choice because he won’t get backed like he wants and needs(I make these fans correct btw)

so what type of coach do we think this bunch of mentalities on the whole need to progress since both ends of the spectrum seem like they can’t work here at Spurs for one reason or another

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Red Adair is better suited for the Everton job

12. Citizen Kane.

It's a puzzler and one that might be somewhat unique in world football.

I don't look at it as who the players need, I look at it as who the club needs. And a club of our size, with the stadium and global brand we have, does need a Conte in charge.

The issue is we hire a Conte and then give him parameters as if he was Potter. It's a complete paradox.

For now, the club looks like a Ferrari from the outside but under the bonnet there is still a Peugeot 306 engine trying to drive the thing. And until either our revenue streams have caught up with the cost of a proper engine, or we sell up to people who already own/stole/killed someone and drowned the body to acquire such an engine, we will continue to operate as a paradox, expecting a Conte to thrive under a sell-to-buy policy with players entering the end of their contracts the extent of our imagination.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Everton and ideal in the same sentence sounds almost like an oxymoron. Can’t see Potter going there tbh, he’s earned a much bigger job.

14. humanbeingincroydon

Burnley?

15. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Everton are a big club and have the new stadium coming. You would imagine he would have a much bigger wage budget and transfer fund than at Brighton.

Just yet I can’t see a top 6 club taking a risk on him, no doubt Brighton play attractive football but I wouldn’t say he’s earned a move to a bigger club than Everton yet.

O.Spurcat likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

Brighton asking for £20m to speak to him is what put us off, and no doubt it'll put off a lot of other potential employers too

The difference is that in our case £20m was too much to pay on what was effectively a punt, but at Man Utd paying £20m would become a stick for the fans and pundits to beat him with if results didn't come quickly

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Everton's an absolute mess. I don't think any manager worth their salt would fancy that job at the moment, feels like a poisoned chalice. I doubt their transfer kitty will be too great either, massively overspent in recent seasons and they've gotten worse, hard to see them having too much more until they get a return - which ain't happening anytime soon.

I can definitely see a big six club going in for Potter once the opportunity presents itself. Liverpool's probably the only big six club at the moment where there isn't any uncertainty over the manager's foreseeable future.

18. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Everton are also trying to fund a new stadium, which you imagine might have similar effects to what happened to us, except they’re doing it post-pandemic and off the back of a lower revenue base anyway. Hard sell for a manager.

If he’s still at Brighton and his stock is still high, I think shooting for Potter when Conte leaves would be a strong move. Though I doubt he will still be there.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah he was who many of us wanted prior to realising we could actually get Conte.

Hopefully though Conte will be here for as long as possible, I'm happy to not get Potter whilst Conte's here (obviously). Albeit I'll also be a bit concerned if he did take over at someone like Utd or Arsenal.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon

I think I have found the perfect headline to sum up Everton at the moment

Dier Hard likes this.