1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Road bikes

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Geordieginola, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Geordieginola

Geordieginola Well-Known Member

Hi all. I’m getting fat. I used to play football 3 times a week and was hovering at 13 stone. I’m 5ft 10.

Footballs been off for 12 months and I’ve gone up to 15 stone. Basically I’m fat. I’m 41 and think I’m packing in football.

So I want to buy a road bike and my budget is £1k. So a starter bike and the accessories minimum is what I’m looking for and I have no idea where to start?

Does anyone have any advice before I go and get fleeced by a good salesman who can tell I know nothing about it.

Initially I will be town biking to get my fitness levels up with the view of going further afield in say a month or twos time when I’m fit.

For the record I don’t do gyms.

GG

2. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I know nothing about bikes, but my advice would be to not spend £1K on one yet if you are just starting out and know nothing about them. Spend a couple of hundred at the most on a decent lightweight one rather than top of the range and keep saving so that once you know it is something you want to pursue you can buy a better one with a bit more idea of what you need from it. You may start riding and find you don't enjoy it. Houses up and down the country are full of expensive ornaments that started out as investments for a new hobby that seemed like a good idea at the time.

3. Geordieginola

Thanks for your reply. Once I get my head in to something I usually stuck to it. The £1k is for everything mind. Not just the bike but I hear what your saying.
    I was actually quite surprised at how expensive some basic bikes are these days. Could he cause of lockdown.

4. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was the same when I packed in football at 46 (I know I should have continued to the end of the game!)

Spent 10-12 years telling myself I was still fit but eventually when my Mrs started telling me I was getting fat did something about it and reckon I am now fitter at 62 than I was when I stopped playing.

Not sure bike is the most efficient way of getting fit and losing weight but its important that it’s something you enjoy as that’s the only way you will stick with it. For me I went for a mix of personal training and running and ended up losing nearly 15kg, lowering my blood pressure dramatically and just feel much better about myself. The personal training is great - guy can see what I need and works me accordingly. I have 2 1hr sessions a week and its mostly working core, a whole load of stretching with some cardio. Very little true weightlifting which I dont like but the main benefit of a PT is they make sure you do the exercises with good form which really ensures they work.

Realise this doesn’t answer your question about bikes but can certainly attest to the benefits of a regular exercise routine on both physical and mental wellbeing.

Geordieginola likes this.
  5. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

@Peej your field of expertise is needed .

6. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Get a treadmill in your garage, mate, you will get much fitter and won't get laughed at running in the street!

7. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

Will I be allowed to comment on the Newcastle section?

£1000 will give you some great options, if you have cycle to work that will help you spread the cost over a year or two and also get tax relief.

Are you looking for a traditional road bike with dropped bars? My bet would be aluminium frame so light but also the wheels/kit is best.
    For £1000 DO NOT BUY CARBON

8. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

I purchased a Cube SL Road pro a few years ago and it has been used to commute across London and cycle around country lanes. I would suggest that something like that would start you off well.
    You don't want to buy something without trying it out for size though. Get the wrong size and you'll end up uncomfortable and not wanting to use it

9. Geordieginola

I considered personal training until I seen how much it was each session. I’ve done a lot of exercise biking over the years on a indoor bike but I really want to be out in the fresh air.

10. Geordieginola

Yes trad road bike. I like the look of the specialized Allez sport 56inch. I also have looked into the cycle to work scheme but my current employer doesn’t do it so I would have to set that up. Not so much a problem as such but I travel (when back in the office) 20 miles there and back a day. Is it allowed still?

11. Geordieginola

I’m thinking the top one on this list. 56inch frame. https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/321/best-cheap-road-bikes-under-1000

12. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a specilized. They are pretty middle of the road and will do what you want I suspect. I'd say the stuff at the bottom of that article is more important than the bikes listed. Make sure you are buying a bike that fulfills the purpose you have for it.

For speed you want dropped bars and cleats
    If you are after more leisurely touring then flat bars will be fine and the riding position is more upright and generally a bit more comfortable esp to start with.

If you are riding in the rain on dirty roads I would suggest trying to find disc brakes. For dry weather riding, v-brakes will stop you perfectly well enough.

Also remember you can spend a hell of a lot on clothing, tools and accessories so price these up based on your use case before slapping down the cash on the bike

13. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Enough about GG. What about yourself?

:rolleyes:

14. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I thought you'd be offering one of your mobility scooters or souped up zimmers.
    Just a thought.

15. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

yeah, you only need to maybe go once. It’s a big tax con.

the Triban 580 decathlon, cannondale synapse and Trek Al domaine are endurance setups that will be comfortable for longer rides but still great handling. Not sure about Allez but gets great reviews. A 56 may be a little big, get your leg over one and if between sizes go smaller like a 54. You can always make a small bike bigger. A bigger frame means you will be stretched out and not comfortable. At 5:10 a 54 would be my advice.

16. Geordieginola

Spot
    on mate: initially I’m going to be doing town biking in areas I know well. The roads are shocking around where I live. I thought a mid to low entry would be ideal. See how it goes then if I’m finding I’m really enjoying it then I will move up and sell on.

17. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

18. Geordieginola

That was my actual first worry when I looked what the the recommendations as they are suggestive ranges of size. I actually have short ish legs so I’m thinking 54 is probably perfectly fine.

I’m super convinced this is what’s going to get me going as I’m a really early riser. Quite often wake at 5am and that’s me. I could literally do the ride when the roads are quiet and still be home for a shower and then ready for work.

Ive been quite down recently (you may have seen a separate post I made) and thus I’m actually quite excited at looking into this seriously and doing something really positive. Albeit for myself by I need it.

So any advise is really appreciated.

19. Peej

Peej Fabio Borini Lover

I took up cycling late, played football, did 10ks and half marathons.

had kidney failure, transplant and knee surgery within 3 years. Got back into cycling after a break about 7 years ago as a challenge to ride coast to coast just 5 month after knee op.

it’s great to get out, blow off some steam and see places you wouldn’t normally. Training with friends, alone or with a cycling club is great. It’s good therapy for my mind and body, really helps me.

20. Geordieginola

I agree. I’m really really unfit at the moment as I’ve not done any exercise for 12 months. I’ve put 2 stone on so the initial plan is to get the joints moving again. Focus on getting the fitness back a big and then work on losing weight.

I have a giant mountain bike which is bulky and heavy but it’s for gravel riding. I used to go to the lakes when I was younger so that’s the mid term plan.

Peej likes this.