1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rochdale

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by itstimupnorth, Sep 16, 2018.

1. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

As I've been taken off suicide watch I thought I'd post a few comments for those that were fortunate enough to have missed yesterday's latest episode in how to alienate your fan base.

The reports of last week's performance against AFC were not good, a point reconfirmed by a well known STH travelling fan to whom my colleague commented that he'd heard that last weeks performance was poor (not the word he used..). No, they weren't that good came the reply. SL had given the performance a very public thumbs down, and if that's the public side I hope I can imagine what was said in private. Now, that sort of treatment of players can go one of two ways - either a socks pulled up, let's show what we are really capable of performance, or a what on earth (again, not the phraseology I'd like to use, but..) does he think we're capable of, sod it performance. I'd hoped, of course, for the former.

Right from the start the set up appeared unusual, at least for me at my first game this season, and my colleague, who had previously experience the now heady heights of the Accrington show. O'Neill playing wide right in front of Fuller seemed a strange choice, especially as Parker was also playing wide left in front of Garmston, leaving Eaves up front on his own. For the first 10 or so minutes we were actually the only team looking likely to score, with loads of possession and the midfield of Reilly Byrne and Parrett picking up almost everything that came out of the Rochdale defence, but the signs of the lack of real goalscoring ability were already there; Eaves v. 3 robust central defenders; only one realistic outcome, although Eaves missed with a header from the left that he should have done better with.

And what better way to overcome our midfield effectiveness than to lump a big goal kick up the middle of the park, watch our reversing midfield and static defence cock up any clearance and, hey presto, we're one down.

After that it was sort of much of the same. We weren't getting as much of the ball, but still had more possession without ever looking threatening, apart from one glorious cross from O'Neill that Eaves didn't quite reach with his head on the edge of the penalty area.

Then it was the 'been here before' moment. Another goal kick, another failure to deal with the ball, prod through and we're 2-0 down.

I honestly believed at that point that if we actually tightened up the defence and didn't concede any more that we were still in with a chance of getting something out of the game, but as the second half progressed that belief faded with every passing minute. Reilly, Byrne and Parrett worked their socks off in midfield, but without the movement and real pace on the wings, those wingers playing quite deep, and with Eaves being well (if somewhat physically) controlled by very tight and effective marking, there was nowhere to go.

Garmston and Fuller were perfectly OK in their natural positions. I think that Garmston's recent injury problems have dulled his pace a little, and whilst defensively he was good, he seemed a little less inclined to make strong runs forward, although that may have something to do with Parker's (mostly ineffective) presence in front of him. Parker had a poor game, created next to nothing and lost the ball far too often either in tackles or mis-placed passes. When he was eventually substituted, List didn't really improve the situation, although he saw far less of the ball than Parker did. Garmston was unfortunate in the build up to the third goal, his slip letting Andrew past him and giving him plenty of time to cross, and you can't really question the quality of the finish that gave Henderson his hat trick.

Brandon Hanlon provided much delayed and needed pace and movement at the sharp end, but it was too late. On the basis of the just over 10 minutes that I saw of him I do think he should have been brought on a lot earlier. To make that change so late, and even a first change after 57 minutes when you've been 2-0 down for past 40 minutes, seems over conservative to me.

Another lesson learned was that Lacey is nothing like an adequate replacement for Zakuani, and that Ehmer (much as I love the man) really needs a proper old fashioned centre half to play beside him, as if he has a fault it's to put his inclination to attack before that of defending, which leaves him out of position too often.
    However another talking point was the intensity of the chanting of 'Scally out' and other assorted insults. Whether he should remain is a matter for discussion on other threads, but the hardcore travelling band were certainly unequivocal in their view as to where the blame lies for our situation. Next Saturday might be interesting in that regard.

I never go to these games at Rochdale in great expectation of success, but while this performance wasn't quite at the level of last year's (which was truly woeful) it certainly asked more questions than it answered. The trudge home was depressing. Thank heavens for decent wine to help erase the immediate memory.

alwaysright, brb and grumpygit like this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Excellent match review. Sometimes i wonder why i keep doing this forum and this is why, good bunch of knowledgeable guys expressing opinions.Fantastic insight to the game.