1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Round of applause on 8 minutes for Gazza

Discussion in 'Rangers' started by Medro, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Thanks, Administrator.

Theodore Dalrymple? I think I’ve read quite a bit of his stuff in The Telegraph (one of my daily rags), if I’m thinking of the same guy? If it is the same guy, he’s always been pretty interesting.

I just looked up some reviews, and this one seals the deal: "Not since Christopher Hitchens’ assault on Mother Teresa have so many sacred cows been slaughtered in such a slim volume." Spectator

Well, if this Dalrymple chappie manages anything like - albeit with different targets - the evisceration (of Mother Teresa) that Hitchens managed, I’ll definitely be in for a laugh. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed seeing that woman taking a well-deserved and long-overdue brutalising.

As for Michael Foley's The Age of Absurdity…..I’ll just need to take your word that it’s good and worth investing in, although the “Book Description” on Amazon made me swither a wee bit.

Amongst other things:

The good news is that the great thinkers from history have proposed the same strategies for happiness and fulfilment. The bad news is that these turn out to be the very things most discouraged by contemporary culture.

Hmm. I don't readily buy into the concept of happiness (or the increasingly demented lengths people go to attain it - or buy it, more accurately) and have also never understood why it is relentlessly peddled as being the most desirable way to feel.

Michael Foley examines the elusive condition of happiness common to philosophy, spiritual teachings and contemporary psychology, then shows how these are becoming increasingly difficult to apply in a world of high expectations.

Encouraging stuff. It'll do folk the world of good to stop chasing such an arbitrary (and often horrifyingly selfish) concept.

The common challenges of earning a living, maintaining a relationship and ageing are becoming battlegrounds of existential angst and self-loathing in a culture that demands conspicuous consumption, high-octane partnerships and perpetual youth. In conclusion, rather than denouncing and rejecting the age, Foley presents an entertaining strategy of not just accepting but embracing today's world - finding happiness in its absurdity.

It's a maybe, Mick, although the other book has already just been ordered. Finding pleasure in absurdity seems doable, however, I'll give the guy that. (I would have recommended a vaguely similar sort of book in return, but I've forgotten the name of both the author (female) and the book. <Alzheimer's> It was a nifty laceration, anyway, of the positive-thinking crowd and the dangers they present to people/the world.

And just to momentarily get back on topic (for the sake of appearances), do you feel that alcoholism is a disease?

2. Medro

Medro Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

3. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

<doh>

You have mental issues.

4. Girvan Loyal 1690

Girvan Loyal 1690 Nobody's safe now

5. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

Both of the books touch on the boak inducing sentimentality surrounding Princess Diana's death - her early departure immediately propping her to sainthood (for little other reason than being famous, and having departed early - oh and being the personification of the state - to not indulge in Kim Jong-Il style grief was to be unpatriotic).

Dalrymple (book rating 6.0) is a grumpy old man with right wing views, uses too much Latin and French and believes that almost everything today is worse than what it used to be. Worryingly enough his overtly cynical outlook on everything from Dianna to the parents of Maddie McCann found an ally in my brain. I particularly liked this analysis:

"When sentimentality becomes a mass public phenomenon, moreover, it becomes manipulative in an aggressive way: it demands of everyone that he join in. A man who refuses to do so, on the grounds that he does not believe that the purported object of sentiment is worthy of demonstrative display, puts himself outside the pale of the virtuous and becomes almost an enemy of the people. His fault is a political one, a refusal to recognise the truth of the old saw, vox populi, vox dei &#8212; the voice of the people is the voice of God. Sentimentality then becomes coercive, that is to say manipulative in a threatening way."

It made me think of quite a few scenarios which have left me frustrated; such as that of the hyped grief over Princess Diana, people on these forums telling me that Maddie McCann jokes are off-limits, or the annual November ritual of forcing everyone who appears anywhere in public to wear a Poppy (and to tell them to **** off back home if they don't like it, as in the case of young James McClean).

Foley (book rating 7.6) is a grumpy old left winger constrained by limited sources in Buddha and Socrates (and is quite obviously a big fan of a certain 20th Century Novelist, you'll figure out who with the clues in the first few pages) - his book is quite different from Dalrymple's but touches on many of the same areas (mostly how the youth of today are worse behaved than ever...). I liked Foley's effort because he entertained me more (while possibly teaching me less) - a hedonist and overly concerned with sex (or maybe just honest) much of his pedantic quibbles resonate with my own - more nodding in agreement from my end produced a higher score - that and I suspect this book might be a one hit wonder, a dump of 60+ years of accumulated opinions from a slightly higher than average mind (whereas I suspect Dalrymple could produce another 4 books of similar quality on different subjects, an opinion mercenary). If it helps you decide, I'm not sure he actually puts that much effort into helping people find happiness (to be clear, this does not read at all like a self-help book) - I think he spends more time pointing out the absurdity of chasing happiness and how the modern world is ruining us by over supplying us with everything we want (900 channels on Sky, **** all on that I want to watch - why does the world not deliver me better entertainment - I deserve it <grr>).

On the subject of alcoholism - I believe there was a study showing that Aboriginal Australians were more prone to addiction than Aussie Anglo-Saxons and this was possibly explained through genetics. I haven't looked into this and can not verify but from experience I tend to find my own alcoholism changes with circumstance - I drink a lot less (almost never) when I'm at home with my missus and kids than I do when I'm offshore surrounded by the lads and with nothing but an empty flat to go back home to. I imagine Gazza is a bit like me on the Isle of Man, only with no job or daily purpose which ensures he spends at least half his day sober. A few times in the past he has been given opportunities to make himself useful once again (such as Football management) but he has got the sack for turning up drunk - so there are some obviously deep character flaws, which if we are honest were always lying slightly below the surface even when he was one of the best football players in the world.

6. Tina.

Tina. Well-Known Member

I love you both, but you two could bore the arse off anyone <laugh>

7. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

Somewhere, a penny just dropped...

:bandit:

8. Gambol

Gambol George Clooney's wee brother

<laugh>.

9. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Took me long enough.

When did you suss, Gambol?

10. Gambol

I didny. I was laughing at the possibility/probability.

11. Mick

Staff Member

I can't help myself Tina, none of my real life friends want to hear about the book I read last week - people are usually intimidated enough on here not to tell me to **** off because I am seen as some sort of authority figure <cool>

12. Tina.

Tina. Well-Known Member

**** off.

13. rogueleader

rogueleader suave gringo

**** right off,****er.

14. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

Pretentious, baldy twat etc.

15. Bib Fortuna's Maw

I believe pretension is to be encouraged.

As Sartre said:

...and no meaning will be discerned without aiming to mine other people's philosophies

16. Tina.

Tina. Well-Known Member

Mick, change my name to Daisy <grr>

17. Mick

Staff Member

I guess pretension is measured on your intent - if your sole intention is to present yourself as more clever than other humans (and no better place to do it than on the hun board) then you deserve ridicule for your vanity. It's judging whether someone engages in potentially pretentious activity such as reading and reviewing books or talking about politics in order to appear clever - or if they actually really do these things because they enjoy them and want to discuss these subjects with other people. If I was all about my ego on here I wouldn't have let slip insecurities such as Anthony Stokesesque hair loss, over-indulgence in alcohol and being decidedly unhappy with the evolution of my social life... But then again maybe I'm trying to sell myself as the archetypal flawed genius <whistle>

What's it worth Tina? I got a picture of yer boobs last time I did anything for you. It was a dangerous precedent on your part.

18. Medro

Medro Well-Known Member

Mickelback, get this ****e on to GC.

We don't care nor want to read about your ****e views on here.

Hugs and kisses

Medro

19. Gambol

Get yerself tae ****, baldy. Am the archetypal flawed genius roon these here parts. It gies me summat to do in my lonely nights of drinking in my bedsit.

20. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What's going on with all the high brow, well structured intelligent conversation on this thread? Get Gambol back as Mod - there was none of this whataboutery when he was in charge