1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Round One versus Grimsby

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 2, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Argyle are charging too much for this first round tie and £16 is rather high for what it is. I won't be going.

So bring on Grimsby then. Last played Argyle on the last day of last season. Stopped us becoming champions so we owe them something surely. They are unbeaten over the last 5 games having won 2 and drawn the other 3. They sit exactly in mid table with 23 points. Not sure what to make of all that to be honest. This match could be anything but I'm hopeful of an Argyle victory and a place in the second round proper draw. Adams is hoping for a cup run. Most Argyle fans are just hoping for us to win one, any one they don't care which. What could possibly go wrong this time?

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thrashed us 3-0 at Home Park last season....I think they could be a bogey team for us.

We last beat them in March 1987.....5-0.....since then we have played them 8 times...Won nil.....Drawn 4.....Lost 4.......that's why I've put them down as a draw.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Ever the optimist! I think I was at that 3-0 defeat, I pick all the best games.

4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

The admission price is the same as last year plus £1 in line with the general increase in ticket prices for this season. Of note, if we have to go to a replay, it is almost certain that it will be more expensive.
    As much as Argyle struggled early on to realise the difference between L1 and L2, I am confident that we have stepped up a little in recent weeks and that the gulf between the two tiers will be telling on the night. A comfortable 2-0 win in front of 5000.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

All about opinion lyndie. I happen to think that a league one versus league two game when we are bottom of the league is a game they could have encouraged more to attend. £16 may be only £1 more than last season but when you consider one of those games at home was against Liverpool then it doesn't look that attractive. I believe the first game away was Mansfield who charged £10 to get in. I fear the crowd numbers will be well down on average.

I don't think Grimsby is a boggy team and I do think we will prevail.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well I hope your right sensible......it's 30 years since we've beaten them.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 f/t...Carey....great start to the cup run.

8. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Just hope we never played on defending a goal up!

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh ye of little faith plymborn.

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

A bit of an odd game really. Argyle won at a bit of a canter but the thing that struck me was how slow the game was, and how poor Grimsby were. I think, but no doubt some will disagree, we looked like a L1 team playing against a L2 team-this suggests that we are a better team than last season. CG10 scored another one for the scrap book and pretty much had as much room to stroll around HP for the afternoon as he wanted. The down side is that his booking probably means that he is suspended for next Saturday's trip to Bradford. I say probably, as the rules are very unclear, and if he is suspended then the rules are rubbish.
    Big shout for a pen for us in the 2nd half- I genuinely couldn't see from my position, but the crowd reaction and a few discussions later suggests that it probably was. CG could have had a hat trick, Joel could easily have scored (and had another good game) and Grimsby could also have grabbed a couple.
    Bottom line is that we are through and prize money will be in the bank. 5137 turned out which wasn't bad. No 21 in the draw on Monday-don't care who it is as long as we are at home.
    Bradford away next Sat- an excuse to visit a new ground (for me) and an overnight with relatives oop north.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have just finished reading around the sites on this game. I did listen to some of it on the radio but not all by a long shot. The consensus seems to be that we are still a bit of a one man team who now is suspended for the next match against one of the leading sides in the league. Great timing. It also seems that whilst we had periods in the game we also went defensive once again towards the end. It seems we still can't resist it even if the opposition comes from the league below. Not the greatest lot of write ups I've read but then again not exactly the worst lot either. I would trade today's result for a league win or two even if a cup run financially is quite nice. Don't think we are going to be winning any awards for performance anytime soon.

A win is a win and I guess is something more to buiid on. (posted before lyndhurst posted above)

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Looked at the BBC highlights and it is hard so see anything other than that without Carey we are toothless in front of goal without him....is it because of how Derek Adams sets the team up to play to Carey's strength ?

Bradford away next week might be a problem.....didn't Carey get his 5th yellow card and might miss that game.....how will we score without him pulling the strings....surely we wont be going aiming at a 0-0 draw.....it's a long time still to the January window...has Adams got his eye on a striker that he could BUY in then ?

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just been catching up on the GoS match report.....There are times when I think Derek Adams hasn't been watching the same match as the report suggests.
    During...Derek's deliberations...he said that Argyle started the match off very well....that's not how it came across when Carey scored the goal...the suggestion was that it had come against the run of play.
    What was interesting was that he said Carey's yellow card doesn't stop him playing next week because it was in the Cup and not the League....which if right is good for next weeks visit to Bradford.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

My take on games and those of Derek Adams don't very often look like we have been watching the same game. How he comes to the conclusions he does baffles me most of the time. Have to say he doesn't seem to agree with a lot of people who have watched either.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Adams said that Carey would be ok for Saturday.....but others have said that he is banned....I hope between them they sort it out....we don't need a fine for playing an illegible player....now a points deduction would just about finish our season off.

16. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

It looks like he is banned for Saturday. Sarcevic to return?

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We thought that Argyle had a poorish turnout Saturday....in the end only Luton had a slightly better attendance...and I expect Portsmouth would have brought a few with them to boost that,......Less than 4500 rattling around the Valley to watch Truro....some of them would have been PASALB members.....three ex greens in their squad, with Harvey scoring with a good header in their 3-1 defeat.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One match ban for Carey.....why didn't Adams realize that ?

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Erm..................he doesn't know what he's doing........................we've been saying that for ages haven't we?