1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rumour of PL wanting to sign Wes

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Jan 4, 2014.

1. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

I like Howson a lot but I genuinely think he is better starting from deeper than just off the striker a la wes. When he breaks forward from deep with pace thats when he is at his best driving the team forward, not playing just off the striker I think!

2. canarie-chippy

canarie-chippy Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing the quality between Ashton & Wes, my point is that just because the manager says on the radio that he's staying doesn't necessarily mean it's the truth!
    I remember the cover up that day with worthy making himself look stupid bleating on about this "sudden" over night injury that had appeared when the Hammers were linked with him and obviously didn't want him cup tied.
    They tell you what THEY want you to know.
    I'm not to bothered if Wes is moved on or not, but I hope a replacement would come in first.

3. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

This is true, Howson needs open space to work, Hoolahan doesn't, he relies more on decent movement around him..

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I agree, especially as Howson is very good at tracking back to intercept breakaways by the opposition. His best spell was with Tettey holding and he and Fer given the ability to go forward to support the attack.

5. carrabuh

Howson, Fer and Tettey work together very well.

However they do not mix well, with Redmond, Hooper, Snodgrass, RVW and Elmander.

6. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Agreed again. So what or who could provide the link? That relationship between the midfield and the forwards has been the problem all season for me.

7. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

What he actually said was that there had been no approach - that he knew about. If DM comes out and backs up that that statement, then I would say it was categorically a no, until then.....

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's used that phrase a lot recently "not that I'm aware of...", is that just cautious managerial speak, or that he doesn't believe he's always being told everything?

9. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

It is a bit cautious isn't it, and pretty consistent with his way of thinking it would seem.

Being on the outside it is mere speculation but it is possible an approach has been made to DM, and if he cannot reach agreement with another club, then he doesn't need to trouble CH or the player with it, so better to say nothing until the time is right.

10. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Nail hit on head. Proved yesterday but how isolated RVW was. I don't get to go very often but now I know what people mean with problems with our forward play.

11. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A typical twitter feed that claims (don't they all <doh>) to be 'ITK' reports this:

12. carrabuh

Perhaps he wants to leave.

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

In which case why would he recently have signed a new contract extension, rather than stall on it, like Pilks?

14. GozoCanary

I really think the board letting him go to Villa for 1.5m would be a serious miscalculation on their part. All that vague dissatisfaction with the way things are going would suddenly crystallise, I feel sure, and we might have a genuine conflict between the board and the fans. Which wouldn't help anyone.

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

But the whole point is that if he's genuinely unhappy at the club, because of not being selected, Hughton's tactics (like Holt was), or anything else, then it's self defeating to stand in his way.
    One thing I do know, we wouldn't get anyone remotely as good for £1.5m, that's for sure.

16. RiverEndRick

Here's the full response:

&#8220;Has there been a bid? Not that I am aware of, absolutely not. At the moment it is a hypothetical situation that you are asking me about. We had nine senior players not involved today and my biggest concern today is getting those back and bringing new ones in. It is not our intention to lose players. There is no news to report in or out. We are working, the same as most teams and anything we have to tell you we will.&#8221;

I don't think McNally would negotiate anything without discussing it with CH first. This is all just shoddy speculative journalism. If there's nothing to report, then make something up.

17. GozoCanary

At some point we have to stop sacrificing players just to keep Hughton.

18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure if that's necessarily an issue. If we had to spend £5m to bring in a young, better attacking midfielder, then that's effectively £3.5m for a better player, which seeing as Holt's about the only player we've made any money from of late, isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather keep Hoolahan and sign a new player, as it reduces the risk if the new man doesn't work out right away, but it's not necessarily terrible business.

19. RiverEndRick

Also, as recent injuries have shown, we need multiple options at every position.

20. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

Rumors he will be discussing personal terms tomorrow with villa, we shall see....