1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rumour of PL wanting to sign Wes

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Jan 4, 2014.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

For my money, Wes and Fox have been brilliant for us in our rise from League 1, but both are too easily bullied off the ball, making them a liability against the much stronger teams!

2. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I don't really see the logic of this. I would have thought the players in Champ and L1 would be likely to be rougher and more aggressive than in the Prem to make up for their lack of class.

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Both of them are short and light and easily manouvered off the ball, when this happens with a top seven side, it often leaves us in the shhh....you know what!

4. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I think I may have noticed a kind of pattern to the Hughton out/Hughton in people. Most of those of us who want him out tend to see skill and intelligence is the most important ingredients in a footballer, whereas his supporters tend to go for strength and speed. It's the difference between Xavi/Iniesta and Vieira/Toure, say.

In reality, of course, all teams need a balance of these ingredients. Too much of the former and the team becomes lightweight; too much of the latter and it becomes lumbering and uncreative.

5. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

I think you need players like Wes in a team to create chances.

6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Wouldn't surprise me if we have indeed turned down an approach, and we'll probably turn down more offers. However, I equally wouldn't be surprised if eventually Villa stump up enough money to convince McNally/Hughton to let him go.

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Agreed, though £1.5m for a player of his calibre is a derisory insult. If / when it gets to circa £3m then something may happen - I just hope we're scouting now for a proper replacement, just in case!

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We need another player in that position anyway, so letting Wes go without at least one signing close to completion would be madness.

10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

There may be an element of truth in this, especially when you look at Carrabuh's criteria for any player coming in (no more than 5'8" tall, no tendency to play the ball out wide or go out wide himself, no african 'headless chicken' players, etc), but whether this includes all I'm not sure.

I'd say most posters on either side have been keen on another creative ACM without any mention of physical attributes as well. Personally I prefer players like Fer who can win balls with skill and pass well. Much as I liked Holt, I do think RvW and Hooper have taken us up a level in striker skill and finesse.

11. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

I agree with you in general and at the start of the season i really wasn't calling for either of them to play mostly for the reasons you've given, however we've really struggled to get our strikes into the games in the first half of the season and they are two players who are capable of playing clever balls, Fox would need to be supported a lot by johnson but by all accounts he was great last weekend, why not give him a chance

12. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

I don't get your point Dave.

How have we done against the top 7 sides this season?

The better footballing sides do better against the other better footballing sides, funnily enough, they also do better against those that rely on physicality.

I honestly do not recall Fox getting bullied off the ball that many times because he doesn't run with it, its mostly a couple of touches and a pass.

Where his physicality does hinder him is trying to win the ball back

13. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

I agree, only time I remember his frame being a problem was not winning 50-50 tackles and not going for headers from goal kicks etc.

Our main problem has not been moving the ball swiftly this season, wes and fox are two of our best players at getting the ball moving forward and changing momentum, rather than just sideways to the full backs which is our only pass before a long ball to the corner flag/ out of play/ winger winning it/ hope elmander wins it/ goal kick

14. Home on the range canary

Home on the range canary Well-Known Member

I think Lambert is just taking the piss, winding up folk and creating disharmony

15. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

He's forcing the move by the sounds of it, supposedly handed in a transfer request. The work of Hughton, a player not enjoying his football under hughton seems a common theme nowadays.

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Can't really argue with that!!

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

When it's from this source, it's of real concern.

18. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

At least one of my pre-season predictions appears to be coming true.

The pressure is going to be severely cranked up on Hughton if this sale goes through, he is the icon that represents all the things Hughton has been unable to establish at the club.

Hughton could well be given all the rope he needs.

19. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

Villa bid 750k lol

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator