1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SAD FOR ARGYLE

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by atcham jack, May 15, 2015.

1. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

suspect Argyle lost this semi final at home in 1st half. fans have turned on manager. expect a change. 8 players released today.

can see wobblers beating southend. well that's 1 league one relegation place fixed.

2. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

I think the final is too close to call but both teams finished well clear of the other two in the table so perhaps justice has been done (and at least we don't have to play Stevenage next season). Interesting to see if 'lucky' Wycombe benefit from any more dodgy refereeing decisions.

3. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

A shame Sheridan didn't have the conviction to pick the XI that played against Shrewsbury who looked as though they could beat anyone.

4. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know there's 'history' between us but I'd rather Wycombe come up purely for previous banter we've had and the fact it's a tad easier to travel away too!

5. greenhousmeadowman

On the topic of play-offs in general have just seen Bristol Rover scrape past Grimsby on penalties. Rovers were very fortunate not to lose their keeper when he handled a goal-bound shot several yards outside the box when they were already 1-0 down. The ref totally bottled it with only a yellow and that could have been the key moment in the game. Sad for Craig Disley who played a very steady game as Grimsby captain (and of course also played for Rovers against us in the 2007 League 2 final).

6. Hounded Out By Morons

Outrageous decision by the referee.

7. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

After your last foray in to League 1 I would say that's probably 2 places booked for the relagation slots. Didnt see much more to prove otherwise when we played you chaps this season. Unless you have some untapped riches, that is!
    In all honesty, we arent equipped for league 1 with such a small squad. Fans are fickle and all those who have enjoyed our rise in fortunes this year, may not be so happy to see us losing regularly if we go up.

8. Hounded Out By Morons

We did manage 2 seasons in League One last time (One more than WW) and we are definitely better equipped than then. Even the bookies are giving short odds on us finishing top half.

9. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Good luck to you. Its a tough transition - we've bounced around a lot in the past few years.
    Definitely need a bit of cash to stick up there as there are some big names. I think Burton have the cash for sure, but we certainly don't and we havent even managed to field a full subs bench for many of this years League 2 games - our downfall from auto promotion in the end

10. Matster

Forum Moderator

We didn't have a full squad when playing you with key defenders and midfielders out for season, also a striker just coming back from injury. Saying that, we were **** at your ground and were fantastic the week later; oh and you weren't much better or worse than us!

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can I join in on your carping at each other as the title does mention my club.........

I wasn't sad for Argyle, we didn't deserve to win the play off matches nor did we really deserve promotion. I would have taken it of course I would but we would have been the luckiest outfit alive had it happened. Wycombe were miles better than us over 2 legs and to be fair were loads of points above us in the table anyway. They deserve to go up purely on their form over 46 games. As did you by the way. I'm rooting for Wycombe on Saturday on that basis and I hope they make it.

The Argyle faithful have been having a go at Sheridan for most of the season. Me included. I don't like the bloke. He has no personality and no afinity with this club. Our support deserves better than him. For the playoff games the selection was a no brainer but he stuck to his own selection even though a blind Rhino could see what was wrong with it. That was total arrogance on his part. Even when it was going tits up all he did was stand there, arms folded, swearing to himself. No emotion or plan B. Now we get the old job done rubbish from the club. Playoffs were minimum for season and we got to them ergo what's everyones problem. The problem is it was their target not our's.

Best of luck to you next season and best of luck to Wycombe on Saturday.

Ron and Matster like this.
  12. greenhousmeadowman

Good luck to Plymouth next season Greeny - you are a massive club for League 2 but as many clubs have shown that will not in itself get you promotion unless everything is right on and off the field. Thought Sheridan did a good job at Chesterfield (I remember that excellent team with Davies and Lester up front) but some managers do not fit well in other clubs after success with one. By the way has that lad Bobby Reid gone back to Bristol City and, if so, can we borrow him next season please?

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He belongs to them meadowman so answer is yes he has. Jury out on him here. Far too inconsistant although you could describe most of our players like that all season. When on song then great and good to watch. When not interested he was poor. He is never going to get into Cities team in the Championship. Pretty decent for league 2 I suppose but couldn't get a game in league one with his own club. Big question mark as to why.

We aren't a massive club really in any league if I'm honest. We have a decent level of support which has stuck with the club through the last horrible 5/6 years. We seem big(ish) because of the support but we've never really been anywhere or won anything of note. I don't believe in this too big to be in thing that a lot come up with. You are where you are at a particular time because that's how good you are. No divine right to go up or go down and we all start a season on zero whoever we are. Except in the premiership of course where only a small band of teams can ever win it. How pathetic is that? Unless you have your own Bank in the shape of some foreign trillionaire all you can hope for is survival. Not sure I'd want that but unlikely to get to know in my lifetime. Championship is the best league. Decent standard and very very competitive unlike leagues 1 and 2 which are just competitive.

14. Matster

Forum Moderator

My uncle, forgive him his sins, is a qpr fan since childhood and he's 74 now. He detests the premiership as it involves a lot more grief watching games, games being played at random times and days of the week, and a season ticket buys you twenty games not twenty four.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I agree with your Uncle Matster. They've sold their soul to the devil that is TV and play at any time of day subject to the TB whim. Absolutely no thought for supporters whatsoever. How does a Northern supporter of any of those clubs go to a match in London say on a Monday night in a working week? Answer who cares.... They even do it to lower league clubs who get precious little from them. Play off kick off 5 . 30 pm ffs , what's that all about except to fill in their viewing hours.