1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saint Bart!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

But if Frazer won't be used and McCarthy is leaving, we'll need a second keeper to provide competition and cover. I doubt very much that he has been told he will go straight into the number one slot...he will have hopes, but Gunn has done too well to relegate him to second place without a reason.

People seem to think that buying this player (if it happens) means that we won't be buying a CB or striker. I'm taking it as a sign that there is money available and we aren't counting every last penny found down the back of the sofa.

latviandream and fatletiss like this.
  2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Probably because that’s what happened last season. There were several other positions that we needed to buy and didn’t, but did buy a GK for a substantial amount of our total expenditure. Now maybe none of the players we wanted in other positions we could get, so why not buy a GK that you want? It’s not always an either or! I think it’s just nervousness from Saints fans given that we’ve gone through transfer window after transfer window without filling the holes in our team and that has left us as one of the worst teams in the league and just about scraping by the last two seasons.

I think the noises coming out of the club this time around are more positive though, coupled with the changes at the top and the coup of landing RH and I’m happier to sit back and hope for the best. I won’t be annoyed that we’ve signed another GK for a substantial outlay until the window shuts and we haven’t sorted out our other more pressing problems!

3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

A little bit like the Gunn signing last year I will wait to pass judgement til the end of the window. If we get him and don’t strengthen other areas that are more pressing I will criticise then.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah this for me too, I would like to hope that we have one of Alex/Fraser sales already lined up too as it'd be a huge **** up if we didn't end up shifting any of them.

5. fran-MLs little camera

There is no way that we are looking to only get a goalkeeper, but it can happen that way because other proposed signings fall through. That may be for many reasons...you can lead a horse to water etc...but will not be related to the fact we signed a goalkeeper. I will be surprised if we don't sign at least 3 players (we actually need more, but no point in dreaming :)).

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Space needs to be created for that to happen. And that is not going to be easy selling your unwanted goods. The most sellable asset is Gunn, and he is under-contract but that won´t stop others from sniffing around and wanting to buy him, whereas the club could well be lumbered with Carillo for some time, as his suitors do not want to splash out a huge fee for him.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  7. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

Let's face it. If both our goalies do well, the club will sell them on in a few years, for a massive profit!

8. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

9. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Looks like we could miss out on him due to B'mouth.

10. fran-MLs little camera

We should be more worried if no other team wanted him. Bournemouth aren't such a big club that we can't compete...whether on money terms or attractiveness. Depends on our valuation of him....bound to be a limit. I note Roma are also interested.

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

AFC Bournemouth appear to be willing to put their money where their mouth is though.

Cowtownred likes this.
  12. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Are AFCB looking at who we are supposed to be looking at then going for them? Because he would be the 3rd

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  13. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

DTWL do you think you could get some of your journalist buddies to start a rumour to say that we are after Fraser Forster?

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Bournemouth have more money than us, or at least are more willing to spend money than us.

15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That’s not what I’ve said... read all my posts on it again. You appear to be assuming that if we signed a keeper, we wouldn’t shift one on.

I’m assuming any keeper we sign would be to replace one leaving.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  16. fatletiss

I don’t know anything about his ability as a keeper. The point I’m trying to make is we may have a different two “main” keepers next season. I’m ok with that and happy to let Ralph make the call who they are.

Some of our fans have been questioning Alex and I have assumed that if Alex goes we get money for him (possibly the same as we spend n a new GK), or maybe we don’t sign this chap and Alex stays.

I don’t know.

17. fatletiss

Exactly. It’s like a rumour comes out we’re interested in a player and people seem to have reacted assuming that it’s in addition to what we already have. Let’s see what happens.

18. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Ah but as Brendy said (I think?) if Bournemouth are interested, it's probably a bad sign.

Also this is obviously being driven by their end, so maybe the whole thing is agent bullshit.

OddRiverOakWizards and st_brendy like this.
  19. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

We spent £70 million ish last Summer (including the Ings deal which was included in last season budget) We spend money, we just haven't spent it as well as we could have.

20. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Heard that B'mouth have beaten us to the signing. Let's see if it plays out that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.