1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saint departing?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brinkworth Saint, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I think my judgement is better than yours when it comes to Pellegrino/Mo El and the vast majority of Saints fans agree with me!...:emoticon-0102-bigsm
    Ralph must agree too or else he wouldn't be shipping him out.

You say no worse than anybody else but they cost more than anybody else and have not produced anything in what they were specifically bought for, that is my point.

No point in having a Striker and a Creative player that neither score or create anything and neither very rarely looked like scoring or creating either, they were just there..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I haven't got a good read on him but thats because he hasn't shown me anything to read. but clearly he must not be showing anything in training either and we have numerous players for his position. Sims has shown more in less gametime.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  3. Saints_Alive

I think that he is too timid for the PL personally.

4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Nah can go down the local park and see better players

Libby and Saints_Alive like this.
  5. Saints_Alive

He'd run a mile from some of the cloggers down Weston Lane park on a Sunday morning!....:grin:

6. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Yes, and I will say again that the vast majority of Saints fans are idiots (including myself) and their opinions are worthless.

Fans overreact to everything. Pellegrino managed Alave to the Copa Del Rey finals. Elyounoussi played well against Man City in Champions League. They could not possibly have accomplished those things if they were even half as bad as people think.

7. Saints_Alive

Do you think that Mo El has in any way shown anything to suggest that he is an £18m player that could unlock PL defences regularly while he has been here?
    He has shown nothing to me other than being able to offload the ball quickly with five yard passes.

For the record I have never suggested that he lacks the ability just simply that he has failed to live up to his transfer fee by being too scared to express himself on the pitch and other players in his position are far braver on the ball and at least try to do their job and create chances for the team.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    timatoketchup likes this.
  8. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

If he is to show anything we would need to give him chances. And i think Ralph has Djenepo, Armstrong, Boufal and Sims (at least in pre season) ahead of him for those chances, as well as Ings and Redmond in the wide attacker positions currently.

This is for a manager who likes a small squad. He's not going to be able to prove himself here either way so its best he leaves.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  9. Saints_Alive

Indeed the PL is a cut-throat league and you can't afford to carry any passengers for long periods, I trust Ralph to do the right thing.

10. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

No. But I don't think Boufal has, either. Or Long. Or Sims. Or honestly, even Redmond or Ings. I mean, our attack is pretty ****ty.

But it's like this. Hasenhuttl has four players that are here for a bit and are therefore in our plans to hopefully be our core going forward: Ings, Redmond, Djenepo, Adams. And then I think there is Obafemi who is not yet part of the core, but Hasenhuttl believes he can be and therefore wants to get him playing time whenever he can.

And then pretty much Carrillo, Long, Elyounoussi, Sims, and Boufal are all no longer part of our plans. It would be crazy to keep all five. But we also need to some kind of backup. So Long and Boufal it is.

I think that's how Hasenhuttl sees it, and it makes sense to me. I've got no problems with it. But it's not like we are keeping Boufal because Hasenhuttl thinks he's going to be a star, and we're getting rid of Elyounoussi because he's so awful Hasenhuttl can't even stand to look at him and we can't even run proper drills because he's so bad.

It has to do with wages and contract situation as much as anything. I think if Elyounoussi was making 20k a week then it would probably be Boufal going out on loan.

11. Saints_Alive

You do like to bring up Boufal's name every time Mo El is mentioned, my issues with the latter have nothing to do with Boufal at all.

12. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Your issues with the latter have little grounding in reason, and the only way I can attempt to point it out is via analogy.

Elyounoussi is a player that is probably surplus to requirements and is therefore going out on loan, possibly sold. Like many other players before him. There was however, also a reason why we thought he might be good, and why other teams still believe he could help them. He's the type of player we should be going after, and it just didn't work out, as it sometimes doesn't.

But he's the only one where the mere mention of his name immediately means a handful of posters have to run to their keyboards and post about how glad they are to get rid of him and how much he sucks. It's preposterous to believe that Elyounoussi is no better than players you see at the park. Or not up to Football League standards. If you watched him play, and that's the conclusion you drew then I question both your football understanding and your common sense.

13. Saints_Alive

I've already stated that I don't question that he has talent, his problem is a mental one where he is too timid to express himself and as the supposed main creative influence in an XI it is a major hinderance to his effectiveness and there is PLENTY of reason in that assessment. Don't say he hasn't had enough opportunities because he has had enough for people (including Coaches) to judge that maybe he isn't cut out for the PL mentally. He has done nothing on the pitch to suggest that he could create chances and score them regularly and that is clear to me.

14. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

But I’m not questioning the staffs assessment of Elyounoussi. I’m questioning yours.

Starting with the fact that I don’t think that any of us can know whether his problem is mental or if the coaches believe it is mental.

I trust the coaches, because Hasenhuttl has done a good job here and he knows a **** ton more about football and has seen much more of Elyounoussi than any of us.

I don’t trust the fans who are making patently absurd observations.

15. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

You're arguing with people for no reason, the park comment was a joke.

Ralph and the staff have also watched him and agree that he is ****, as they are willing to let an £18 MILLION player leave after less than, what, ten games?

It's your opinion that is clearly wrong, as everyone else can see he isn't up to premier league standard.

16. Saints_Alive

I'm basing my not unreasonable opinion on my observation that he rarely tries to take on an opponent and do anything that is other than an easy option. He always appears to think instead of playing spontaneously which slows an attack down which leads me to think that it as a confidence ad therefore mental issue with him.
    You keep going on about the one great match that he apparently had against Man City but my issue is that he has NEVER showed anything like that for us and as a big investment with the responsibility of creating and scoring goals for us he is a massive letdown.
    I can only base my opinion on what I have actually seen and he has vary rarely posed an attacking threat for us and we can't afford to carry passengers in what is a cut-throat league, Sims showed more intent and threat in his couple of starts than Mo El did in all of his.

To say that Mo El plays without confidence and is a bit timid is not an entirely absurd notion or else why is he not playing like an £18m player most weeks?

17. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

18. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

ISIRTP :emoticon-0152-heart Boufal

Now we know who makes these videos which record his every touch :emoticon-0105-wink:

Saints_Alive likes this.
  19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Another argument?

Have people forgotten the rule about tagging me in? :emoticon-0129-call:

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We may find ourselves in the position of having to shift players that might yet do a job for us because we can't shift highly paid players we definitely don't want. :(