1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

ELO eh?
    They were all over everything like a rash in the late 70s.
    My favorite was this early masterpiece -

davecg69 and TheSecondStain like this.
  2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Dire Straits before they sold out [IMO]. Their first two albums were just superb. So here's the last track of Side Two off Communique. Follow Me Home:

Incidentally, if like me you end up listening to this track with these [or similar bass capable] you soon find out that the vertical blind rail needs tightening.

please log in to view this image

3. TheSecondStain

Actually, I never used it, but I know the story of the BD1 and 2. I got it from someone who was upgrading and I knew my nephew was going to need a turntable. These days I kind of collect turntables and sell them cheap or give them away after making sure they work fine. Last one I gave away was a year ago. It was an ADC 1700 turntable from 1976 that I loved when I was a teenager but couldn't afford. So last year I bought one off ebay for £50 in really, really good condition. Then a young niece asked me if I could buy her a turntable because she'd discovered Vinyl Records. So I gave it to her. I suppose I had it about a month. It was going to take the place of a Goldring Lenco GL75 that I rescued from a tip and rebuilt, but the GL75 has a bigger place in turntable history, so I kept that and gave her the ADC. I do have a Dual CS503 that sometimes runs backwards when turned on. It's a known thing. Turn off, "little shove" and turn on again. :)

The ADC 1700 turntable [not my wallpaper - web photo]. Pretty modern looking for 1976, eh?:

The classic Goldring Lenco GL75:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    SheFellOver likes this.
  4. TheSecondStain

My GL75 has an interesting story attached to it. The "tip" that I rescued it from was the recycle centre under Itchen Bridge just before they relocated to Millbrook. It was in the bottom of an empty skip. I'd gone there to chuck some proper crap away and spotted it. The top of the skip was my foot level and some berk had dropped it 8 or 9 feet into the bottom from waist high. The plinth had broken, the lid exploded, and the chassis sat there. I got my mate to hold my legs while I reached in and rescued it. The arm weights had collapsed under the shock but apart from that it looked fine. I paid the man £2 for it. Got it home, properly checked it over, glued the box, made my own new arm bearings for it. The lid couldn't be rescued. I set it up and it plays records beautifully in the small study, with a modern Goldring cartridge. I've been offered £125 for it. Nope, this one is a keeper.

greensaint likes this.
  5. greensaint

Though I think your skills put my basic ones to shame I've done something similar over the last decade or so. It started with the 70s Garrards which with a good clean and de-gunk of old grease could be made quite respectable performers, if you used a cart tracking over 2gm that is. The Garrard DD75 I had was very nice.
    Of course 10 years ago people were giving the SP25 series away, now some idiots want £100 plus for them which spoils it a bit. Those GL75s sometimes turn up for peanuts in old Dynatron music centres, they replaced the SP25s when Garrard declined.

I still rotate a few turntables, mostly 80s jap ones now, but the problem of electronics failing can leave them uneconomic to repair. Most when fixed seem to end up with my daughters boyfriends/friends. The big bonus has been a slow upgrading of my own tables, and the chance to try a lot of cartridges that come with many a dumped TT.

My current main player is an old Manticore Mantra with a nice Jelco arm and Grado Gold cart. All obtained as bits and pieces, it would take some serious money to improve on and I'm absolutely too mean for that. It's not as pretty as the Rega I have but sounds wonderful.

And just to continue the recent ELO theme here it is about to spin the pic disc Out of the Blue -

IMG_1265.JPG

6. TheSecondStain

Very nice indeed. I see that you are a dust bug user. I used to but these days I used the fine hair brush wiped over the record before hand method, and shut the lid. I see the Rega on the right.
    And that lovely ELO picture disc must be worth a few bob too. How less impressive it would be if it was a CD.

I went into the cupboard last night where I keep my unused turntables. I had to do a count because I had a nagging feeling I was missing one out. So apart from the Linn Sondek and GL75 that are on duty, I've got: Thorens TD160/Hadcock/Nagaoka MP30
    Pioneer PL12D/Ortofon VMS20E2
    Garrard 86SB/ADC K7
    Dual CS503/No Cart
    And... [roll of drums] ... the missing one is, a Garrard 2025TC/Sonotone 9TAHC <laugh>
    I shouldn't laugh. Somebody might be glad of it. It was another standard radiogram turntable, although this one is in its own box and lid. All of them work, although I'd lay bets the belt drive decks need new belts by now.
    As to the SP25 crowd, it must be nostalgia. They seriously aren't good enough for £100. I had a Mk3 as my first turntable for a few years. I can't remember where it went. I didn't sell it. I tweaked the arm so that it was capable of handling a Shure M75EJ. It was right on its limit with that.

7. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Who did play guitar on Python Lee Jackson? I suppose I could look it up, but I’m interested if anyone here knows. I always wondered if it was Jeff Beck? Absolutely wonderful song!

8. TheSecondStain

Seems appropriate for Ric Ocasek. Bye Bye Love. The seventh track of Side Two to The Cars debut album. Doesn't sound like it's from 1978, does it. That's why I bought the album. It was different to the Punk sound that going on at the same time:

And have the eighth track while we're at it. Moving In Stereo:

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Ric..God speed...<rose>

ChilcoSaint and SheFellOver like this.
  10. TheSecondStain

Did you deliberately select a Connoisseur BD1, SA? Only we have been talking about that turntable.

11. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Nope pure coincidence mate, just happened to be the first one on youtube.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  12. TheSecondStain

[Cough] Just checked and my eyesight is faulty. It isn't one. :bandit:

Saints_Alive likes this.
  13. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

How about the ELO predecessor. Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan from The Move the founding members of ELO

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    SheFellOver and ChilcoSaint like this.
  14. SaintMarv

15. SaintMarv

Here is an ELO track featuring all 3 original members from The Move

SheFellOver and ChilcoSaint like this.
  16. greensaint

Always loved this from first hearing it as a nipper.
    That early version of ELO were incredibly ambitious if fragile.

17. SaintMarv

I read somewhere recently that the fued between Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne is a Myth and that the problems were more to do with manager Don Arden

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

For some reason this masterpiece from 1970 just popped into my head. Their only hit, sadly.

19. TheSecondStain

Wow, I just about remember this. Good find.
    I was just about to post another The Move hit. This was from a time when I was still buying singles. The absurdly heavy pop song Brontosaurus. Still sounds fantastic to me, and it really rocks:

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I just found this work of absolute genius by someone called Canny Al, from Israel. John Lennon’s great work interpreted like you’ve never seen it!

TheSecondStain and SaintMarv like this.