1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

This gets my vote for brilliant raw blues from a couple of all time greats; Johnny Winter and Derek Trucks ..... 'Dust My Broom'.

2. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Chilcs

I think that one of the major differences between American and British popular music is the musical sophistication of the former and the fact that in this country there is far more of a focus as to whether a band is "authentic" depending upon a number of criteria which more often than not are due to non-musical criteria such as geography and social class. I am not too familiar with bands like Soft Machine, but I think in the late 60s and early 70s there was a point at which the British were quite innovative and even flirted with things like free improvisation without compromising the music's popularity. You do wonder if a band like Cream would still exist in 2021. I don't think that happens so much these days - probably the best examples are Laura Mvula and Michael Kiwanuka. In the US, the number and range of "pop" artists / groups who am genuinely making the music happen has been immense in it's breadth. If you just pick a handful of examples such as Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, Frank Zappa, EW&F, Prince, Nile Rodgers, etc, etc their indebtedness to jazz seems to me to be more apparent with the passage of the years. It is intriguing that even genuine "pop acts" like Cyndi Lauper had their origins working in blues. I think that a lot of the appeal of this music stems from this fact and also the extent to which the music permits improvisation. Popular music production in the UK has become more cynical since the 1980s. The great thing about jazz is that the understanding of things such as harmony, phrasing and rhythm are essentially tools which can be put to use in all other forms of music. A detailed appreciation of the rules of harmony will enhance music no end and once you have grasped the principles of improvisation as it witnessed by the Allman Brother's track, it is quickly evident how the resulting music is enriched.

As I said, I have most of the TTB discs and it is noticeable how differently they are perceived across in the States and in the UK where I think they are still barely registering. The last album were very, very average, yet the earlier discs have been fantastic and certainly carry on the legacy of the Allmans.

I have always loved this track from John Abercrombie's "Timeless" album which came out in 1975. The drummer is the great Jack DeJohnette and the organ is played by Jan Hammer - more familiar for writing the music for the "Miami Vice" TV series.

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Enjoying this on a dismal weather day.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  4. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Jabbo

I grew up listening to big bands was a teenager so am familiar by a number of the names on the Youtube list. However, I am wondering from where these tracks were culled as they are a real mish mash of styles and , in many cases, the bands featured are playing material made famous by others. The Glen Gray track, example is actually from the Time-Life series of albums where Gray was commissioned to record the hits of other bands in Stereo in the late 1950s when this was a new phenomenon. The original was performed by the short-lived Booby Sherwood band. This happens throughout this collection on Youtube. There also seems to be a lot of material records by European outfits I have never heard of. It is also amusing to see Tab Smith's name amongst the list because he is better known as an alto sax soloist with the likes Lucky Millinder and Count Basie although the track selected seems like one of the R n/ B tracks he made in the late 40s / early 50s. Nowadays, he is little known and largely forgotten although he was a musician I quickly recognised as being very impressive when I first got in to the music. For me, he is very much an unsung hero of that era.

Many of these recordings are recreations of other people's material and the whole set strikes me as being really eccentric and not particularly representative of the work by these bands. (Regardless of some others whose inclusion totally perplexes me! ) If you have enjoyed this, I would recommend exploring this idiom much further because it is so unrepresentative.

I was perplexed by the inclusion of the Coleman Hawkin's track because he was primarily known as the first great tenor sax soloist in jazz and not a band leader. He did briefly lead a big band in 1940 but it did not make many records. The track is actually associated with Benny Goodman but when you listen to the clip, the recording ism in fact, from one of the Buck Clayton jam sessions from the mid-1950s where Hawkins was one of the soloists.

The interesting thing about these big bands is how their various reputations have fluctuated since I first discovered this music. Back in the 1980s, there were still many people around who could recall these bands and their popularity reflected what was available to British audiences in the 30s, 40s and 50s. If you enjoyed this record, I would recommend checking out checking out many of the black, American orchestras of this time as they were the creators of much of this material. Their names were quite obscure when I first discovered them yet , in an appropriate twist of fate, most people who are into jazz now recognise their primacy. Of them all, Duke Ellington was the towering genius and led a band from about 1925 to the early 70s. There is a wealth of great material by Ellington but I strongly recommend anything billed as the Blanton / Webster band after two soloists who radicalised this orchestra around 1940-1. There are also many superb records the band made in Stereo throughout the 50s and 60s. The other legendry big band was Count Basie's who work from about 1937 -1945 transformed the whole of jazz both with it's more modern rhythm section and important soloists like Lester Young.

I would recommend searching for compilations / albums made by the following bandleaders:-

1. Fletcher Henderson (1920s/30s)
    2. Earl Hines (1930s/40s)
    3. Andy Kirk (The material from 1930s is superb)
    .4. Dizzy Gillespie(1940s- 1980s)
    5. Jimmie Lunceford (1930 /40s)
    6. Cab Calloway (The vocals might be an acquired taste, although living in Holland, you might appreciate their subject matter!) -1930s/40w
    7. Jay McShann (1940s)
    8. Bennie Moten (1920s/30s)
    9. Mill's Blue Rhythm Band (1930s)
    10. Gerald Wilson ( Mainly 1960s- 2000's.)
    11. McKinney's Cotton-Pickers (Late 1920/early 30s.)
    12. Lionel Hampton
    13. Lucky Millinder ( also note-worthy for featuring the blues guitar of Sister Rosetta Tharpe.)
    14. Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra - 1960s- 80s although still exist as "The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra"
    15. Benny Carter -1930s through to 1980s

There were also many "Territory Bands" who never really made it big throughout the US and who toured within various States where they built up excellent reputations. I find these bands fascinating as they were frequently a head of the game and often featured soloists who went on to gain fame later in their careers with other outfits.

I think that there are plenty of more contemporary big bands around too, albeit they sound very, very different from the selection on the Youtube
    clip.

5. StJabbo1

Friend coming for a bite today first time for months and first in the new place. We've done a bit of boating over the years and both fond of this.

Saints_Alive and Kaito like this.
  6. StJabbo1

Thanks Ian, I just span the first up on YT for background sometimes nice to be surprised by a stunning track, pretty busy with the new place in Leidschendam, It was a bare shell when we first got it still plenty to do.

I'm familiar with some of the bands listed, looking forward to giving them some ear time.

Urgent job, four for dinner today, plus dog, can't find the box the crockery was packed in.

Happy Sunday mate. oh listening to this whilst helping Mrs Jab and hunting the plates.

Saints_Alive, ChilcoSaint and Kaito like this.
  7. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Well, if you are talking Cab Calloway then he was rather splendid in The Blues Brothers .....

8. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of tracks from a group of superstars that I never get tired of listening to. I give you The Traveling Wilburys .....

9. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

End of the Line is a great song! I remember one time, just after I got my GCSE results and I'd done pretty well, and this online friend of mine whom I think was called Bob was in year 9 and he'd done one early for some reason and he'd got his results and had done pretty well too, and the song came on and it just felt like it really reflected the mood at the time. Good times. I wonder whatever happened to Bob.

Kaito and Saints_Alive like this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Someone had to...

SaintMarv, davecg69 and Saints_Alive like this.

11. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

A bona fide classic!

ChilcoSaint and davecg69 like this.
  12. StJabbo1

As was Steve Cropper guitarist with the Stax house band Booker T and the MGs after being a founder member of the Mar-keys. This a brilliant mix.
    I used to dance me socks off to this and similar at various all nighters.

Booker T tune co written by Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn

Then along came the Blues Brothers.

The band predates the film.

Saints_Alive, Kaito and davecg69 like this.
  13. StJabbo1

Sneeze

Saints_Alive and ChilcoSaint like this.
  14. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

A couple of John Mayall tracks featuring two of the greatest blues guitar legends - Mick Taylor and Gary Moore. I have managed to see a lot of John Mayall over the years and loved every minute of it. He has used his Bluesbreakers band as a showcase for endless musical geniuses. John Mayall is one of my all time heroes and his discography must be one of the finest examples of emerging and established talent in modern blues music history.....

Saints_Alive and StJabbo1 like this.
  15. Saints_Alive

Here are some end of lockdown tunes...

16. Saints_Alive

17. Saints_Alive

18. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

It's almost 10 years since I saw the Bryan Ferry concert at the amazing amphitheatre in Lyon. The concert was great, brilliant at times and the backing singers were superb in supporting Ferry's slightly degrading vocals. The stars of the show for me were saxophonist Jorja Chalmers and also Oliver Thompson the young guitarist. On drums was Tara Ferry (Bryan's son) and he was excellent at times and it's always great to see a number of younger talent mixing with the more seasoned performers. The second track - Like A Hurricane is my pick of the concert. It really was something special.

For me, Jorja Chalmers stole the show and is every bit as good as Andy Mackay ever was during the days of Roxy Music, and he was very, very good.. Jorja is an exceptional talent and if you like saxophone based music then spend some time with Jorja's solo album - Human Again. It is just a brilliant multi layered album and well worth listening to.

Anyway, Bryan Ferry and some great musicians .....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  19. Saints_Alive

Just heard this for the first time in a while, love it...

davecg69 likes this.
  20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

One of my all time favourite people.

Sing along all and enjoy

Saints_Alive and davecg69 like this.