1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Brentford Wednesday 15th March 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Well, I said we’d still be bottom, and we are.

Im going to this. Dont **** me around, Saints. Or Brentford.

Just roll over like you did v Everton, and we’ll see if we can only suffer a 2 goals loss.

Just cos Man Utd ended the game with 10 players that can all **** off, we still had 11 that can also do the same.

Even the previous bloke knew how to play properly v 10 men. ****ing amateur that Selles, complete fraud.

And just cos he has picked up a few lucky results lately doesnt change anything. He has achieved nothing in the game, that lad.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  2. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

I've decided I'm not going to this to take one for the team. As a shift worker (and ST holder) I've missed 2 home league games this season.

Chelsea
    Leicester

This is clearly the fault of wonky Saint in her first year of going to the football. She is a massive Jonah and is quite frankly letting the club (not to mention the family) down. So for our PL safety I'm going to give it a swerve.

As an aside, I think the lovely bloke who sits next to us would also appreciate the extra leg room and not having to put up with listening to her moaning about wanting crisps after 10 minutes. <laugh>

3. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

Wednesday 15th March 2023 Southampton v Brentford. 19:30 KO

Referee: Michael Salisbury.
    Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Timothy Wood.
    Fourth official: Graham Scott.
    VAR:
    Andy Madley.
    Assistant VAR:
    Harry Lennard.

4. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Come on let's win this!

Saints_Alive and milton archer like this.
  5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Massive, massive game. Bonus point today but means little if we don’t back it up on Wednesday.

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) likes this.
  6. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

It has been typical of Saints over the past couple of seasons to get a great result against a big team and follow it up with crap in a more winnable game.

Its happened once with Selles, now is his chance to show we have turned a corner.

Although I'll add the caveat that Brentford are a very good side. Still, in our position this is the sort of game we need 3 points.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Agreed on both counts. I still think of Brentford, especially at home, as being a game that we should win, but they have been impressive this season. They rarely seem to have completely off days (this weekend was one of only five losses this season). In normal circumstances v a team flying high you’d probably take a point, but thanks to losing to pretty much every bad team, we have to go for the win here. Could really do with them having another off day, but regardless, we need to turn up unlike so many of our previous ‘must win’ games this season.

8. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Brentford drew 0-0 with Leeds, they drew 1-1 with Palace and scraped past Fulham in the end - and they also lost 1-0 to Everton.

Yes, they beat us 3-0 last time out (and have held Arsenal to a draw) but the context of the above is that they can be got at.

Let's hope the Everton game has rocked them a touch and this is them going through a bit of an off-colour patch. More often than not, we do see teams like Brentford go off on a tear and find themselves top half in February and then fall away in the final couple of months, once any real threat of relegation has disappeared. Hell, we've been there ourselves.

With this system (rather than the Jones nonsense) and our seemingly-improved defence, we can definitely win this one. Let's hope St. Mary's is right behind the team and we get the rub of the green too. Would be a huge three points. COYS.

9. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

It's also about confidence, and I think that Saints players have now got confidence. And belief. OK, it's about confidence and belief. And teamwork. Right, among the issues that matter are: Confidence, belief, teamwork, and faith in our manager's ability to make the right call at the right time.

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Unfortunately it’s also about goals, and we still can’t seem to score those. So there’s that.

1-0 Saints, Brentford og.

Lemons and Oranges likes this.

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We also canned them 4-1 at St Mary's last season.

12. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I’m expecting NOTHING. Not a thing. Just hoping Brentford are complete ****e and we win. That’s it.

13. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Same team, Hopefully see Edozie or Djenepo on bench instead of someone. Be good to see what they could do in our new found team with confidence.

14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would have someone in for Theo. Either Stu and go 4-3-3 or Paul and go 4-4-2. Probably Stu.

Saints_Alive and SaintsFan86 like this.
  15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Actually definitely Stu for me. A midfield trip of JWP, Lavia and Charly with Stu and Sulemana either side of Che provides all sorts of attacking threat.

16. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Plus I can't see Che and Paul being able to play that effectively together. Unless we were really chasing a game and getting the ball in the box at every opportunity, it seems to be either/or rarher than both

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Stuey is a pretty good finisher too, i'm sure he would've buried the chance that Theo had on the break for instance.
    Saying that I think that Ruben will stick with 442.

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I’m actually OK with Theo starting now, he is an intelligent footballer who has lost his lightning pace but gets into good positions. He did well to get in front of the defender for the header yesterday and forced a good save. The breakaway chance would have been better going to someone quicker though. Ironically Adarma has scored from that situation before now.

19. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

A less talented Goalkeeper may not have made the save, you have to admit it was a good save.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  20. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm expecting a Brentford win, but I'm not writing us off. Especially now that Brentford's long unbeaten run is over.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.