1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Brentford Wednesday 15th March 7.30pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

Worth reading again and again. My approach is, after each match weekend etc, do the maths and keep the hope! When the maths tell me it's over, then it's over for the PL and us. Then we move on.

2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Right on the button Brinks, far to early to right ourselves off. No giving up before (if) we're done by the sums.

Saints14 and Brinkworth Saint like this.
  3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I thought that Brentford were well organised yet Saints had too many players who were off form. As has been said, that was a game which always would have been difficult . For me, the match underscroed how useless we have been at player recuitment. A good proportion of the signings made over the summer and in the January window have not featured. As opposed to improving the squad, we have effectively just added more dead wood. This was the first time I had seen Tall Paul. He seems like Nigeria's answer to Paul Moody.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  4. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

We had some decent build-up play and looked aggressive in the 2nd half last night, but without a poacher, all those attempted crosses into Brentford's area didn't really trouble their defence. And I lost patience with the number of times in the first 30 minutes, Baz passed to a defender, who got pressed passed it back to the goalie, who got pressed and forced into a bad distribution. Brentford had worked that out in the first 5 minutes and yet we still persisted with it.

Quote of the night, after watching yet another Brentford player pansy-flop to the ground in order to break up our momentum: "You sit down so often, are you sponsored by DFS?"

Are we going down? It seems that way, sadly. Lord alone knows why the board plumped for Jones over Dyche. As others have said, during our run of "easy" games, 4 points from our relegation rivals would have been enough - and Jones had the luxury of 6 weeks of World Cup action with most of our squad to inculcate them with his play style.

It's our scouting policy which I fear...We all knew we need a striker to replace the gap that Ings left, a defensive midfielder to replace the gap left by Romeu and some defenders - we didn't get them. Even with £50M for JWP, I'm not convinced our scouts can do any better sniffing out players for the Championship.

Osvaldorama likes this.