1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Man Utd Sunday 22nd August, k.o. 14.00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by San Tejón, Aug 16, 2021.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ok then....

2. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

And actually he did. Stephens and Salisu played much better. Wouldn't be surprised to see KWP & Livramento both in the team soon.

3. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Very pleasantly surprised, hopefully that is a sign of things to come rather than a one off.

Livramento motm by miles, only two games in and he looks another level.

Perraud didn’t stand out as much but looked capable.

Shaky at the back still but lots of positive movement going forward and most importantly we sustained it through the second half.

Thought Walcott was decent on the right before coming off at half time, do we know if that was anything beyond tactical?

Negatives: Play wise I thought Diallo was poor when he came on and defensively we weren’t at it really.

A BIIIIG mention for the absolute complete toss up the club made of almost every aspect today. They really need to bloody wake up and get on top of the treatment of fans, an absolute embarrassment.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Walcott had a very good half imo, the hate he gets is unjustified, he is a great squad signing, I would have S Armstrong ahead of him to start when fit mind.

I took it he either had a knock or it was a tactical sub.

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I earned us that point with my negativity.

Ralph needs to take us on a run of 3 or 4 wins before he’s back in my good books. One home draw is hardly redemption.

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great result and great performance. But unfortunately, I'm struggling to get past the total shambles of the turnstiles situation. It felt like only about one in three were actually getting through first time. For many, it was either a case of the tickets not working until multiple attempts - or, worse, not working at all and needing to re-join a separate queue in order to get through the exit gates instead.

Queues snaking round the car parks; going down the side roads. People still flooding in 20 mins after KO, despite many arriving in ample time.

Fortunately I got through on my 5th attempt, at about 1.30. But that's not the point.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I didn't realise it was that bad. Probably because I got in with my first attempt. <laugh>

8. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Got to admit had someone offered a point before the game I'd have taken their arm off. Thought we really dug in today and fully deserved a point, or maybe more?
    Defending from set pieces is still a concern but encouraging for me is that we now have so many options in most positions.
    Salisu was a monster today, Tino looks real quality and Armstrong looks like great business. Loved Jack's attitude today, he's a bit short on skill, but he makes up for it with heart, can't imagine the United mega stars enjoyed coming up against him today?

davecg69 and shoot_spiderman like this.
  9. TIL I Die

TIL I Die Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there today - still a little wary of COVID-19. If they keep employing poorly briefed youngsters to man crucial aspects of crowd management e.g. checking bags, then it just won’t improve

10. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Just got back. Fans were brilliant today. Players all deserve credit for taking the heat out of the ticket chaos. And credit to the guy walking up and down outside the Kingsland saying 'sorry guys, I'm to blame....'

Onto the game. Disappointed with team selection as I really want to see more match to match rotation to keep as many happy as possible (and game fit). But fair do's - no one had a bad game. Indeed Perraud, Salisu, Armstrong and Stephens all had 10/10 performances. The change in formation at half time seemed to prevent the usual capitulation and although Utd controlled large periods of the second half, we stood fast and used Che / Armstrong well on the counters.

Overall a good day at the office and gives us all hope for a better season.

11. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

I'm told by one of the guys who we sat with - who joined the queue at about 1.20, but didn't get to his seat until 2.17 (I checked the time) - that in the end they just opened the exit gates and let people in without checking tickets etc. In these Covid times, many people will have disapproved at that. And I wouldn't be surprised if the PL have something to say to us about it.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Ralph is King for the Day again in my house. This is Saints ffs, let's take our comforts where we can.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Love this from Che -

“I think they gave it to Fred because he doesn’t get many. I’ll just take the assist”

14. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

As for the match, Tino was my MOTM ahead of Salisu.

If only our GK situation was at the same level as our RB situation.

15. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

16. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Happy with that.

Tino is something else. But Walker Peters came on and did a good job too. Both need to be in the side if possible.

17. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Point v MU and deserved is great in my book when many wondered how many not l we would lose

How we do v Toon is more significant

Been said already but to confirm our thoughts too ... crowd were great, Livra class and fit as, Sally becoming back 4 boss, Che & Adam a handful, Jack had a good game, Oriel needs match time, KWP a good sub

Ralph tried to plug midfield by bringing on Bedders and changing to wing backs and 3 CMs, but then needed Diallo on as Djeneppo is no CM. I think it worked ok after that

3 at the back leaves spaces wide of the CBs and you can’t give Pogba time and space to play into those spaces

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  18. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

This is very much a bonus point and the most pleasing aspect is that the team got stronger in the last quarter of the match which suggests that the fitness levels are good and more importantly the mentality and team spirit can earn us results. As much as i'm a big KWP fan it is difficult to argue against Tino starting ahead of him as he has been sensational and Ralph clearly wants to keep him at RB.
    The team selection was not what I wanted but we got a result and a performance so well done Ralph and the in match tactics were spot on today too. we need to back it up with something at Newcastle next week now.

RedandWhiteManofKent likes this.
  19. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

It'll be fine. It avoided a serious safety issue with people pushing to get in and didn't have the cages which caused the problems at Hillsborough. New EPL ground regulations don't come in to effect until October. First few games are just trialling the regs.

The refunding of tickets is likely to cost the club around £1m. Good for supporters but not for the club. I wonder if they are going to give fans (who did not have any inconvenience) the option to give up the refund?

20. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I’m finally into the stadium.

Where is everyone?