1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints Vs Brighton – Sunday 14th March 12.00pm, BBC1

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Lambertissier, Mar 11, 2021.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

If you're in it, you can win it.

Two games from a Final. 1976 and all that. Yep we can win it.

2. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

We can't beat Brighton/Newcastle/Fulham/Leeds mate, not sure I fancy our chances against the big clubs

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Wigan did and won it against Manchester's finest. Sadly, they got relegated. Not sure I would want SFC to do that though.

fatletiss likes this.
  4. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It shows how slim our squad it, that just those few names still equates to a reasonable chunk of our squad.

The futures of Bertand and Theo are very heavily out of our hands - either or both could choose to move on. The futures of Ings and Vestergaard are somewhat out of our hands - if either or both don't want to re-sign, then we would need to sell.

Redmond and Djenepo, as I said earlier today, are very welcome to leave.

If a decent offer comes in for either McCarthy or Fraser (both unlikely), then I'd have no problem moving one of them on.

Ralph is presumably already open to the possibility of Long, Valery, Hoedt or Ely moving on. Gunn has already extended his loan with Stoke, and Lemina of course could stay at Fulham.

So I think that only really leaves Adams, Romeu, Bednarek and Stephens, from your list. I wouldn't want us to be selling Romeu or Bednarek, in particular.

fatletiss likes this.
  5. Lambertissier

Lambertissier Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that we scored our goal via a very old fashioned tactic, called a cross. For those that have only been watching Saints for the last couple of seasons, a cross is where you get the ball out wide and try and pass it in the air to one of our players in the box. They then try and score.

On 85 minutes when we had failed miserably trying to thread it through the middle of the park, it may have be an idea to go old fashioned again and try another on of these crosses? Hell, you could even argue it’s worth sticking our 6’4” defender up front to try and get on the end of one of these mythical forms of play (instead of playing tippy tappy across the back). Just a thought...

The only good thing to come out of today is that I don’t need to do another match thread. Small mercies!

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’d take it, thanks

The Ides of March likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

1976. Saints 2nd tier ( and not all that), Man U Div 1 and good.

How many cup upsets are there every year ?

In it to win it.

To quote West Side Story, "I you don't have a dream, then how you going to make your dreams come true"

Not directed 100% (well, maybe 85%) at you, but how do some people function in the real world with all this pending doom about everything?

StJabbo1 likes this.
  8. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Totally. There's a thing about shifting the play through the zones and moving one zone at a time is simple for oppo to follow, they just swing through the moves without thinking about it. We hardly ever move through 2+ zones and we never do it forwards barring the ocassional hopeful long ball. Consequently, we aren't stretching the oppo, we aren't making them uncomfortable, they are always setup well against the ball and consequently we pass it back to reset. There is supposedly more verticality in our 4222 formation but we never play through the middle. Ralph has a lot of thinking to do about how he can affect this.

9. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've beaten 2 of those this season mush.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm still keen on giving Djenepo more time. Harsh to put him in the same boat as Redmond when Redmond is 27 and should be at his peak. Djenepo on the other hand is still only 22 and is far from the finished article.

SaintinNZ likes this.

11. SaintinNZ

How many players are we losing to their international teams during the break, anyone know?

12. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Honestly Fats, l cannot be arsed to argue the semantics - you always want the last word so have it your way. As l wrote earlier today, its my late fathers 90th birthday, l have have other things on my mind.

13. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

But we can beat Liverpool, draw with Chelsea home and away, draw away at Arsenal.
    Plus won away at Brighton and drew with Fulham from your list.

StJabbo1 and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  14. SaintinNZ

He has been off it for almost half of the season now. One good game in 5 is my impression. Head out the door maybe?

15. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

We drew with Fulham! Ah stand down then. We'll definitely stay up and win the cup

16. thereisonlyoneno7

Thats not a bad double to put on actually. Though I'm not sure i'll get the amazing odds you seem to think I will.

You never meet a poor bookie.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  17. thereisonlyoneno7

Best I can find is 25-1 for relegation and 16-1 to win the Cup.

So the chances are we will stay up and not win the cup. Sorry to all those who want to see us totally doomed.

Or another way of looking at it is there is more chance of winning the cup than getting relegated. We are totally doomed (according to some on here), So, yep, I think we can win it.

tomw24 likes this.
  18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

South Pacific.

19. thereisonlyoneno7

Just checking you all know your musicals :)

20. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

We have been in real trouble for weeks. I said some weeks ago if we lose @ Leeds then confidence will take a huge hit,and then with the fixtures after that points would always be at a premium and only winning points @ SU and then failing to turn a very much winnable game against what can only be described as relegation rival with such an inept performance,is really worrying. I think most people will struggle to come up with any valid reason why we can pick up enough points. We look shot to pieces,and I think Bournemouth will take full advantage of that and beat us. They’ve got a free hit against us.
    Today: no passion,no taking responsibility,no leadership,no desire,no dynamic,forward positive runs,no turning their back 4, for christ sake we were the home team and from the first minute until the last there was only one team that wanted the 3 points. I’m gonna stick my head above the parapet and say I think we will go down. Sorry. Just my thoughts

LincolnSaint likes this.