1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sanderson bid after talks with Wolves

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Blond Bombshell, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

Would we really be wasting our time bidding if we didn’t have an indication that the player would come back?

I think we’ll have already had conversations with him while he was here and will get him eventually.

2. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

sad-eyed prophet likes this.
  4. I think it's easy to understand a conversation taking place along the lines of:
    LJ:" Well,all the best Dion,wish you were staying"
    DS:" Thanks Gaffa,I've enjoyed my time here,I'd like to stay"
    LJ:" We'll see what we can do when the window opens"
    DS: " That would be great..I'll wait to see what Wolves say to my agent"

5. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Teessidemackem likes this.
  6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I never believe these stories about bids being made for players who won't be signing, just to make the club look ambitious ...

... it only makes a subsequent signing, in the same position, look and feel like a second choice.

7. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

what makes it all worse are the likes of the Echo with 'ten players sunderland could sign' and 'these players could improve sunderland' etc, nothing stories there purely for click bait.

Iain and Smug in Boots like this.
  8. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

^...this 100%

9. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Wolves fans laughing at 1m saying should be 4 or 5m? He has proved himself in league 1 so far, I think he has a year left on his contract and the bid is from a league 1 club.

How much football have the wolves fans seen him play?

10. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

they can laugh as much as they want, but the fact is he’s played a handful of games below Premier League level and only has a year left on his contract.

11. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Wolves fans want to remember where they were three or so seasons ago and stop thinking they're billy big bollocks because they're in the top league.

12. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Don't think we can do another mvila and wait a year to get him on a free

13. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

We would do the same.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Teessidemackem

To be fair to Wolves fans, 1m is peanuts if you are competing in the Premier league.

I remember us signing players like Carsten Fredgaard and Karlson for about 2m pound each years ago just to go into our development squad.
    We'd be chuffed to spend that on a first teamer now nearly 20 years later. It just goes to show how much money we've wasted in the past and how far we've fallen..

Sanderson is highly rated for them, id be wanting more aswell if I was a Wolves fan.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  15. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Yeh - Wolves fans should be fecking furious if they're even considering selling a youth product that is highly rated so a couple of million.

Doesn't mean he's worth more. And we are right to start low and not go any higher than we think is right for us. But I think the fans are entitled to want more.

16. Teessidemackem

Sanderson is a player with the ability to play at a much higher level than league 1 mate, they have a right to moan. Just because we're in League 1 it doesn't mean Wolves should let us off with a couple of million because we're 2 leagues below them.
    If you pay peanuts you get Monkeys. We either pay the amount players are worth and show some ambition, or settle for players like Winchester. The balls in Dreyfus' court.

17. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

I think the lad is probably out of our grasp with transfer fee and what other offers he may have. But that is on watching him play for us.

Have wolves fans seen enough of him to have an idea what he is worth? At the end of the day his club have just went and spent about 5m on another young CB to push him further down the pecking order.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. Teessidemackem

Alot of them probably havent mate but theyll know enough to know how highly regarded at the club he is. Theyve probably seen his name mentioned for years now from within their development teams. The same as many of our fans have not seen Hawkes or Younger play but still kicked off that they weren't getting promoted into our first team.
    Sanderson has spent half a season at Cardiff at the top end of the Championship where he was a first team regular. He impressed them enough to want him back, fortunately he came to us instead. The Wolves fans will be very aware of this and know that 1m pound is a pish take.

It doesnt take a footballing expert to realise Sanderson will have a pretty good career.

Makemstine Roger and young2077 like this.
  19. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I hope if we do become ultra successful, we show more humility than some Citeh fans

Makemstine Roger and Random lad like this.
  20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

But we can’t. It’s not as easy as just paying silly money for players. There’s still the ffp or whatever it’s called. The wage cap was illegal but ffp isn’t so it’s all on income vs expenditure. Sadly we can’t do what city’s and Chelsea’s owners did and buy our way out. We have to find the best value. We can’t be held to ransom over transfer fees.

once we’re in the pl, it becomes a bigger fish as there’s loads more cash floating around up there… if we make it back before the arse falls out of course!!

And if we were up there and not looking to keep a player like him, our fans would be going mental! We’re in the third division and our fans go mad about players moving to pl clubs!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021