1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by AmalCarb, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I don’t know but what annoys me is, one kid in her class got taken for 3 weeks in China (before coronavirus) and another kid went for 2 weeks at Disneyland Florida. Neither got fined. We take her to the Canary Islands for a week and kapow.

Not only that, she had 100% attendance last year and had so far this year, the other two kids mentioned most certainly did not!

Absolutely no consistency.

2. Amin Yapusi

Lads on tour <cheers>

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Another Coronavirus benefit. I haven’t had to attend the KC to watch us get annihilated by a team below us in the league.

Every cloud......

Kempton and Howden Tigress like this.
  4. Cambstiger

Cambstiger Well-Known Member

From what I understand It is the local authority that actually sends out the fines. The schools only raise it to the authority who take it from there. If so, no point in arguing with the school, it needs to be with the local authority.

Howden Tigress likes this.
  5. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I don’t know if this is known in the wider public or not but the fine can only be triggered for 5 or more days absence in a row.

If anybody wants a cheap week away during term time, do it when the school has a training day in the same week (or bank holiday) so you can go for a maximum of 9 days (with both weekends) and they can’t fine you.

Kids will get more out of a week somewhere different exploring than a week in the classroom where they can quickly/easily catch up, in my opinion.

6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

7. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

If today's total is anywhere near 600, then we are, if not, the gap will widen (obviously I hope it does).

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

A message from a teacher in China...

We are just finishing our 7th week of E-Learning, seven weeks of being mainly housebound and seven weeks of uncertainty. We are healthy, we are happy, and we are humbled.

We are allowed to move around freely now with a green QR code that we show when we get our temperature taken. You get your temperature taken everywhere, and it's just become part of the routine. Most restaurants and shopping centres are now open, and life is coming back to our city.

As we watch the rest of the world begin their time inside; here are some of my reflections on the last seven weeks:

1. Accept that you have no control over the situation. Let go of any thoughts of trying to plan too much for the next month or two. Things change so fast. Don't be angry and annoyed at the system. Anxiety goes down, and you make the best of the situation - whatever that might be for you. Accept that this is what it is and things will get easier.

2. Try not to listen to/read/watch too much media. It WILL drive you crazy. There is a thing as too much!

3. The sense of community I have felt during this time is incredible. I could choose who I wanted to spend my energy on - who I wanted to call, message and connect with and found the quality of my relationships has improved.

4. Appreciate this enforced downtime. When do you ever have time like this? I will miss it when we go back to the fast-paced speed of the 'real world'.

5. Time goes fast. I still haven't picked up the ukelele I planned to learn, and there are box set TV shows I haven't watched yet.

6. As a teacher, the relationships I have built with my students have only continued to grow. I have loved seeing how independent they are; filming themselves to respond to tasks while also learning essential life skills such as balance, risk-taking and problem-solving, that even we as adults are still learning.

7. You learn to appreciate the little things; sunshine through the window, flowers blossoming and being able to enjoy a coffee in a cafe.

To those just beginning this journey, You will get through it. Listen to what you are told, follow the rules and look out for each other. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Exactly the advice that should currently be given nationwide...

10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

please log in to view this image

11. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

No. I aren’t media, its only my observation. The figures are based on 4 days, and that curve HAS flattened. There may be a reason for it, Italy had a huge spike at this stage. We haven’t. Maybe we’ll get that surge in the next few days, time will tell. Just odd that upto last weekend our figures were uncannily mirroring Italy.
    Hardly professing to be an expert, I’m going by a table comparing number of deaths in UK vs Italy. As they say, it’s not rocket salad!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

NHS sources have told Sky News more than 150,000 people have signed up in the UK for the NHS volunteer scheme amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

13. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

No new cases in Hull & ER overnight <ok>

Howden Tigress likes this.
  14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Majority of Hull hospital visits to be banned due to virus

Hospitals in Hull are set to ban all but a few visitors in a bid to protect staff and patients during the coronavirus outbreak.

please log in to view this image

The new rule comes into force from tomorrow at Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital.

The Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trusts says there will be some exceptions, but they will require the approval of senior ward staff.

Trust chief executive Chris Long said: “In light of the government’s instruction over social isolation and the need to stop all but essential travel, we have no alternative but to cease all visiting at our hospitals from Wednesday.

“This is not a step we take lightly, but it is a step we must take if we are to have any chance to protect our staff and patients from the virus.

"Exceptions include end-of-life care, birthing partners when a woman is in labour and one parent only for children in paediatric wards and neonatal intensive care unit."

The NHS trust says additional security will be brought in to ensure adhere to the new rules.

Attached Files:

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

More than 170,000 volunteers sign up to support NHS just hours after Government call for 'army' of helpers

National Medical Director of NHS England Stephen Powis said he was "bowled over" by the response.

Who is being asked to join?
    People in good health are being asked to join the national effort to ensure vulnerable people are safe and well at home and to support local services.

How many people are needed?
    At least a quarter of a million.

What are volunteers being asked to do?
    As many as 1.5 million vulnerable people across England have been instructed to “shield” themselves from society to ensure they do not get the virus.

The volunteers will help ensure these people have vital supplies such as food and medicines.

They may also be asked to drive people to appointments or make regular phone calls to those in isolation.

What about local schemes already in place?
    These people are not intended to replace local schemes already set up to help the vulnerable, but to provide additional assistance to the NHS.

The National Care Force has also been launched as a platform to connect volunteers to local care homes in need of support.

How will we know who needs help?
    GPs, doctors, pharmacists, nurses, midwives, NHS 111 advisers and social care staff will all be able to request help for at-risk patients through a call centre run by the Royal Voluntary Service, which will match people who need help with volunteers who live near them.

How can they join?
    Members of the public can sign up at goodsamapp.org/NHS

16. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

I had to take my Mum to HRI for a CT scan yesterday.... eerily calm and quiet.... and new lifts....

17. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Front page DAILY MAIL ..... Greta Thunberg..... 'I fear I have Corona Virus'....... REALLY!!!

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

She's pissed off at not being able to hog the news.

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

balkan tiger likes this.
  20. Amin Yapusi

No I wasn’t aware of that. That’s a good FACT. Cheers for that.

Cortez91 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.