1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by AmalCarb, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Do you test 66.5 million people every day?

Part of the problem is people are contagious and spreading it for days before any symptoms develop. Some estimates suggest as many as 50% infected have absolutely no symptoms at all but are still contagious.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you click on them and look what they are? Most are not commercial flights, some of them are private planes(which I can understand people being annoyed about), but most are cargo planes, some not even coming to the UK, they're just going through our airspace.

Howdentiger2 and GlassHalfHull like this.
  3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

4th Doctor dies from Coronavirus (He was a retired Dr returning to help the fight) and a front line health care assistant dįes in London.

:emoticon-0106-cryin:emoticon-0106-cryin<peacedove><peacedove><rose><rose>

RIP Heroes

4. tigermaul

tigermaul Well-Known Member

Living (almost) under the southern Heathrow flightpath, I haven't seen or heard a plane for at least a couple of days. That said, BA and Travel Trolley still won't refund me for £2,000 worth of Japan flights due to take off on April 12th.

5. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

No one in Europe has the number of testing kits required. You'd at the very least need to test everyone with symptoms and everyone who'd been in contact with a positive case. South Korea managed it though.

However, there is no lock down here in Sweden.

My daughter is still in school. I've been to work. The shops are all open. The pub, bars and restaurants are open. Clubs were open until Sunday when the restrictions were tightened slightly to 50 people per venue.

I've been for a hair cut today. The gym this morning. The DIY place and garden centre at the weekend. I'd say there were about 30% less people out and about in Stockholm which has most of the cases in Sweden.

The government here say its too early for a lock down according to the science. They are urging personal responsibility. When, a few weeks ago, there were the first signs of panic buying pasta, the government told people there was plenty to round and to shop normally. People did.

I guess in a month or so we'll know if we are the most complacent country on earth or the most likely to follow orders.

6. Stockholm Tiger

BA refunded me in full (not a voucher) for flights and hotel to the Maldives due to leave on Friday this week, Hopefully they are just working through the back log and they'll get to you.

tigermaul likes this.
  7. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

South Korea managed to very efficiently test and diagnose people, but didn't actually test a large percentage of the population. Up to today, they've tested 420,000 people, in a country with a population similar to ours.

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Smith+Nephew to build OxVent ventilators

The University of Oxford, King’s College London and Smith+Nephew are bringing their expertise together to help the NHS fight COVID-19.
    1 April 2020

Smith+Nephew (LSE:SN, NYSE:SNN), the global medical technology business, today confirms that it is contracting with the UK government to build OxVent ventilators.

The OxVent ventilator results from a collaboration of scientists, clinicians and medical technology manufacturers from the University of Oxford, King’s College London and Smith+Nephew. The ventilator has been designed to allow for large scale production.

The OxVent ventilator is currently under review by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA) and the order is subject to the design gaining authorisation.

Smith+Nephew is supporting the assessment process and preparing for manufacture to begin immediately following authorisation from MHRA.

The OxVent ventilator will be made at Smith+Nephew’s Advanced Wound Management facility in Hull, UK.

10. Stockholm Tiger

Correct. As I understand it they tested people with symptoms and a connection to the outbreak then used mobile phone data and apps to track who positive people have been on contact with them.

11. Chillo

Chillo Well-Known Member

is it true that swedish hospitals are spotless, well run and free from mrsa etc unlike in the uk?
    have you any idea of their ability to cope when any surge of patients needing ventilators occurs?

12. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Expand the link and look at Europe!!!!!!!!!!

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I'm sure Sweden hospitals are spotless, but they still get MRSA, same as every other country.

Sweden are one of the biggest producers of ventilators, so are well placed to get more of them (they're currently working to get them to Italy).

14. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

15. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Had since mid January to order them.

I'm next door to you and politicians here are saying that yours should be charged with manslaughter for the lightest touch in Europe. As far as I know, the death rates per 100,000 are similar so far, so we'll see if sverige er riktig. There are reports in the norsk median today that Stockholm will be locked down this weekend though.

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Still not many commercial flights.

17. Heimdallr

I think a form of political and social control. To put future generations in debt. Tie up national funds for decades. Move wealth into a smaller number of hands. Further control over freedoms and rights. Reduce nationalism. I don't believe the virus was created to do this, but that it's being used as an excuse to erode further what we have.

The immediate response should have been to close borders and isolate all those who had been to the region where the virus started. This should have been in mid January when Chinese medics first reported it. We knew they were being silenced and did nothing. Why? The basic duty of a government should be to protect it's citizens. None did. Now most of us are under some form of house arrest.

18. Heimdallr

No. A blanket testing on all those arriving from abroad should have been done from mid January as many were demanding.

tigermaul and TIGERSCAVE like this.
  19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Who could orchestrate that on such an international scale?

20. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Is that the chicken pox for which we've had a reasonably effective vaccine for many years ?
    Do we have a vaccine for the current viral source, or adequate mass testing units & logistical systems to determine who is carrying said virus ?
    What's your position on shutting down pubs/bars ?
    IMO, you use whatever options are available to you until such time you have developed better options & systems to use them. At the moment it's "social responsibility in the commmunity". MAXIMIZED.
    You seem to think undefined, hard to predict long term health effects of supressing economic growth are more important. If there are carriers out there, their potential impact should be minimised.

TwoWrights likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.