1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by AmalCarb, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ullofaman

Ullofaman Well-Known Member

Because they have rabies

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  2. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Interesting that, as I see us, by and large, as a nation of 'cap doffers'.

Compared to many other European nations for example, I can't really recall much of 'us' standing up and kicking against the pricks so to speak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we'll 'make do' in a crisis but don't other peoples/nations too?

How do you perceive our 'contrary streak'?

RichardG likes this.
  3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

UK coronavirus cases reach 590 – an increase of 134 in 24 hours (deaths up to ten).

4. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

I agree on how Italy cocked up, but I've not seen anything convincing to suggest that a 'chickenpox approach' will do anything other than put the vulnerable in a position of heightened risk. The countries coping best seem to have adopted a clear, consistent early policy based around encouraging/enforcing social distancing and then leading to something more drastic if necessary. I don't feel that we're following such protocols. I know it wasn't you who said it, but anything where the solution involves 'the Dunkirk spirit' makes me nervy. Let's not forget that Dunkirk was considered at the time - and still is for the most part - to be a series of disasters followed by a miracle. The former should be avoided at all costs, the latter never relied upon. (I get that the phrase is as much about grinning and baring it, showing bravery, etc... but many of the bravest people I know are the most vulnerable to this virus.)

look_back_in_amber and Kempton like this.
  5. newlandcasual

newlandcasual Well-Known Member

Just seen this ...UEFA have called an emergency meeting for Tuesday in which the possibility of postponing Euro 2020 by one year is an option being discussed.

complete over reaction at this stage but that seems to be par for the course

6. Wildie

Wildie Well-Known Member

I think it should be cancelled. It is based in several countries, teams having to fly in between which should be now avoided

7. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Thing is, this isn't about bravery, it's about science. Bulldog spirit won't stop vulnerable people from getting ill, no matter how much they beat their chest and sing Rule Britannia. It's about the good of the nation and if experts and scientists think the best way to protect ourselves is to spend a bit of time away from each other, then that's what we do.

We had Farage on QT again last night, a man with no academic qualifications, no scientific background, but brought in for expert analysis and they let him speak on national television about it. That's where this country is going wrong in so many areas, we want the patriotism, not the realism.

NB: That's not a political reference, it could have been Delia Smith and you could apply the same sentiment. Please don't make it political.

8. RichardG

I agree. My 86-year-old grandmother has been through hardships in her life that my generation and subsequent ones will hopefully never have to endure. She's currently living with stage 4 breast cancer and has other health worries. The Dunkirk spirit approach to this isn't likely to help her; it's more likely to kill her should she contract it. That's what I was alluding to when I said about the Dunkirk spirit stuff worrying me. Her spirit has been suitably 'Dunkirk' all her life. She needs common sense and protection now from those in control.

DarbyDays and Kempton like this.
  9. Steven Toast

Which is why our PM's comments about "letting the virus run its course" were very worrying, it showed a complete lack of awareness.

There needs to be fewer people on social media telling people to relax because "it's just flu" as well. This should be taken seriously. It isn't just flu, it's now a recognised pandemic and it's spreading much quicker than the flu does.

Kempton and RichardG like this.
  10. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

It’ll have to go some to top 45m cases in a year.

You can’t have a pop at people talking fake **** then spout fake stuff yourself.

11. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

it is interesting because your perception probable depends on your own position in society and experience and social circle. I think of things like this

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

I think a larger proportion of us than you think are quietly subversive. we’ll doff the cap when it suits, but we’ll resist when it matters.

as an example, my grandad was in the RAF in WW2. He was a very quiet character, and hated all the parades and rules. While abroad, the family shared an apartment with another RAF family who were friends. But they got into trouble because the friend was an officer and officers weren't supposed to mix with the plebs. His theory was that the British public went along with it all in WW2 as everyone could see the war had to be won, but the exposure to the petty class nonsense in the armed services made ordinary people determined that things would be better after the war, hence the massive election win for the party offering the welfare state vs the party offering more of the same (not politics but history).

of course, that was a long time ago - I share Richard’ misgivings about invoking Dunkirk knowing the history and I recognise that there was a lot of people on the make/spivs/cheating going on in the War. But this virus should be relatively short lived, so reminding folk that as a nation we like to view our national motto as “put the kettle on” may help the National mood. I’d be having a quiet word with the tv schedulers and asking them to be showing the Dambusters, Angels One Five, the Cruel Sea, Reach for the Sky, Bridge over the River Kwai etc etc to keep us all entertained while we’re stuck at home.

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It's par for the course. They've been doing it for years with climate change. Commenting on a 'consensus' (which is dubious in itself) as though that's science.

Steven Toast likes this.
  13. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain how going into self isolation / lock down for 2 or 3 weeks like Italy has is going to help. Are they expecting the virus to evaporate or something?

14. RichardG

Italy's health system is swamped. They can't cope. People are dying unnecessarily because there isn't enough doctors to treat those most vulnerable. I've seen verified accounts of doctors having to choose who to treat. I work with a ton of Italians and it sounds ****ing scary. Isolation/lock-down would hopefully slow the spread and relieve the pressure on the NHS.

Help! and Kempton like this.
  15. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

16. AmalCarb

AmalCarb Well-Known Member

Dunkirk spirit needed now.

‘90% will probably get this’

Pensioners nightmare within a week.

Wash your hands...

Allams OUT

17. Steven Toast

That bloke can't find his arse with both hands, I wouldn't worry about what he's saying.

18. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Not about Trumps, just some useful facts

19. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

“ Wash your hands and we’ll get though this”

No worries then...

20. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Some people aren't shaking hands because of the coronavirus.
    I've stopped shaking hands because everyone is out of toilet paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.