1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by AmalCarb, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

This is the best explanation I’ve read, apologies if it’s been up before
    WORTH A READ - EXPLAINS MORE THAN I KNEW

Good read from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University

Not really feeling sick and do not want to be..but if you are feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not needed right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on. To copy and paste, hold your hand on the text till copy appears, then go to your page and hold you finger down again till paste appears.

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

The shape of things to come from abroad.

TIGERSCAVE, Kempton, Plum and 2 others like this.
  3. AmalCarb

AmalCarb Well-Known Member

Self Prepping mode now in full swing...

Good luck out there...

Allam’s OUT

4. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

5. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

6. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

And ****s like this are why the lock down will get tighter very soon.

I doubt anyone would have blamed plod for going on a baton frenzy.

8. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

9. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

The guys factoid isn't really a factoid, John; Henry VIII wasn't born for more than a hundred years after the Black Death?

10. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Better Shipman or Jekyll,h than 'some' quack that likes to call himself a doctor!

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

highpeak tiger likes this.

11. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

I think the council will need to increase the collections for the recycling bin.

No work + no pubs + drinking cans / bottles at home = full bin in 48hrs

It’s like been a student again

#homesesh #bored

12. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

My eldest daughter received an e.mail from my granddaughters school today (Scotland)stating very clearly that both parents need to be key workers? They both are anyway but we'll manage the situation as a family as we don't want her at school at this point.

13. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

UK death toll now 281 <peacedove>

14. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Watching the update live on BBC. There’s clearly a shed load of work going on behind the scenes. Protecting the vulnerable for 12 weeks by putting in place a 12 week isolation period.

Scary times. Lockdown will be just around the corner...

Stay safe.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  15. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

A&E departments are currently empty, as people are nervous about catching coronavirus in hospitals.

Says a lot about how many normally go to A&E when they don’t really need to.

18. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

[
    please log in to view this image

Amazing to see wildlife return to the Thames as humans #stayathome.

Nature always finds a way.

19. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

By Wednesday imo

DMD likes this.
  20. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Not the Black Death though - although in fairness, something quite as scary: "sweating sickness" came unannounced and killed in a really short time, one of Henry's closest advisors, Thomas Cromwell, lost his wife and daughters to it, all in (allegedy) a matter of days. It's not surprising Henry was terrified of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.