1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 21st. January 2023

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jan 20, 2023.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Why do Sheffield Wednesday have much higher attendances than Chesterfield?

2. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

It just increases the potential pool of spectators overall, having a larger population. Of course at the biggest events, they will almost always be at full capacity.

Leopardatown wouldn't hold 30k, I think capacity is around 16 to 18k but I may have misread that a while ago. There's not much they can do about that with where the track is situated now either but it's a wonderful course and great place to go for a National hunt fan in the Winter.

I think attendances are down post covid but racing is gone too easy to watch at home or on the phone nowadays and there isn't a whole lot of hard core fans of the sport i don't think. Most are just casual followers who like a punt and wouldn't go racing unless it really suited ie stag do, day out with the missus etc so the cold days don't often attract the support they deserve. That said I'd prefer the quieter day out at the racing myself compared to the awful noise that the flat crowd bring In the Sunmer here, my worst experience of racing ever was when Jack Hobbs won the Irish Derby here a few years back, it was almost impossible to enjoy, see, hear or get a drink with the crowds of drunk 20 year olds who wouldn't know a Horse from a Hare.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

On that I’ve no idea. I guess there’s no accounting for taste.

4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

And he is now 'blue' across the board on Oddschecker re the 3 mile 6 furlong NH Chase at the Festival. Best price 14/1 but as low as 10's in places.

Yesterday, you could have got as big as 50/1 for Mahler Mission to win that Grade 2 at Cheltenham.

Pilgrim likes this.