1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 23rd. July 2022

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 22, 2022.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

Thanks

Daddy Pig likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Would you believe it

3. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Makes the classic generation look em well not very good. The two 3 year olds both ran shockers

OddDog likes this.
  4. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Shout

Daddy Pig likes this.
  5. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

3rd @ 8-1

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  6. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Brilliant, thank you.

Do I take it that this entry on the Racing Post database only went 'live' within the past few hours - i.e. because Laurel was given an entry, earlier today, for next Friday??? Somewhat spooky if that is the case!!!

Laurel's breeding is most encouraging to a point. By the brilliant Kingman out of Promising Land (Group 1 winner). However, the latter hasn't produced anything half impressive from 6 offspring to make the track to date - certainly no black type performers at any rate.

Will certainly look out for Laurel if she takes up that entry on Friday eve.

7. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Correct.

8. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Traces back to the High Line mare Kerali.

Hope this works and helps Bustino's Breeding Bits | Page 4 | Not606
    Read: About a horse- High Line

Arrive, Laurel's granddam is a full-sister to Hasili. Because of this Laurel is a valuable filly whether she runs or not.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  9. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Before Crenelle, had been working “best” with a filly called Dignified who has been beaten in two all weather novices

10. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Yes, always take all the 'gallop report' stuff with a large pinch of salt. But what did really, really interested me with Laurel was the fact that Gosden was prepared to let an unraced filly work with one that was already a black type performer. It was this fact, far more than what happened in the gallop, that struck me.

Grade One likes this.

11. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

SkyBet paid e/w on first 6 places, Albegone was 7th. <yikes>
    Mighty Gurkha missed 2nd place by a sh.hd. at 15/2. :(
    Woe is me! <laugh> :bandit:

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Apologies for late comments – I only got to see the replay of the big race as I was at Evita in the afternoon.

Whilst the King George will linger long in the memory of P J McDonald, it will be immediately forgettable for those that did not back the 18/1 winner Pyledriver. This was certainly not a Night of a Thousand Stars.

Writing from the perspective of my own wallet, James Doyle was asleep in the stalls and Mishriff’s race was over as soon as the gates opened. He used up enough of his horse just catching up with the field that he was never going to have anything left to win the race given that the distance is a stretch for him. Call in three months time and I’ll be fine. <doh>

I have no idea what the actual planned tactic was for Irish Derby winner Westover. After Pyledriver had taken up his expected role up front with Broome in close attendance, it was no surprise to see Broome go on, but what was Colin Keane doing on the favourite? When Pyledriver went back to the front in the home straight, Westover was just running up and down on the spot and Broome had thrown in the towel as well.

Of the held up horses, only Arc winner Torquator Tasso threw down any sort of challenge, chasing home the winner but having no chance of catching him. Mishriff plodded past the others to be a distant third but the huge disappointment was Emily Upjohn, who never settled and found absolutely nothing when asked for an effort – she did nothing for years!

So on the evidence to date it looks like this year’s Classic fillies are nothing to write home about – only third home Nashwa has won from The Oaks – and whilst Westover won an ordinary Irish Derby it speaks volumes about the Classic colts that the emphatic winner at The Curragh and third at Epsom was so comprehensively put in his place by his elders. Oh what a circus, oh what a show.

It will be interesting to see how the various assessors, like the BHA and Timeform, rate these. Last year’s shock Arc winner Torquator Tasso had his head up in the air in the home straight and did not let himself down on the fast ground, Westover raced like a pacemaker taking Broome out with him and Emily Upjohn never went a yard. Credit where it is due to P J McDonald, sitting off the front two (who lit each other up), and picking up the pieces to win another Group 1 for Pyledriver’s connections. It is great for the sport that the underdogs win occasionally but five jockeys might be sat on the naughty step Sunday morning but I am not sure Frankie should be there as his filly would have struggled in a walkover.

13. Kawada_Ginger

Kawada_Ginger New Member

Westover:emoticon-0112-wonde:emoticon-0112-wonde:emoticon-0112-wonde→ Desert Crown:emoticon-0112-wonde
    What do you think about it?