1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 23rd. October 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Oct 22, 2021.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Agree he looks a decent chaser in the making. I think the race fell apart somewhat yesterday with the Skelton horse doing too much in front and Tritonic always struggling at the weights.

Good to see the Twiston-Davies family having a good day - if only The Hollow Ginge had clung on. Young Sam was also lucky when his horse ran through the rail. Certainly an eventful day for him.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Mixing up two races?

In terms of the 4 yo race, I completely disagree with you on Skelton horse and the pace. They went no gallop and the horse was just bitterly disappointing when asked. The fact Skelton was looking around amused me.

Tritonic got outpaced and stayed on well, it’ll be interesting to see him in a truer run race but I do think he’s one to avoid at Cheltenham. Be interesting to see him at Kempton or somewhere in a graded hurdle next time.

I was very taken by I Like To Move it, who as a novice managed to beat two horses with juvenile hurdle form. I thought he was pretty novicey in the race and with more experience he should improve further.

As he is a novice I’d expect to see him continue in novice races now. With a bigger field and faster pace I think he will improve further too.

3. OddDog

Staff Member

I can’t see how they went no gallop and the race time was just 0.85s above standard? If that were 8.5 seconds then yes. Might have looked different on TV compared to real life I suppose? To me the Skelton horse was certainly exuberant in front and I suspect his tank was therefore pretty empty when asked.

What do the sectionals say?

4. NassauBoard

Using standard times is the first issue. The ground was much faster than standard, and standard times are utter ****e.

They jumped the second after 45 ish seconds which was 4 seconds faster than the first race, but then they slowed on the next section. The onscreen speed from RTV shows the pace was around 30mph between the 2nd hurdle and going to the last where they quickened to 34.

The speed on screen in the Pertemps was often around 33 and 34 mph and that race was faster than standard. Yet even in that race the pace held up.

Whilst I don't think the onscreen speed is accurate, I think it does give a very quick analysis that is better than the standard times.

OddDog likes this.
  5. OddDog

Staff Member

Yeah I just watched the race back and the fast early pace did collapse as they ran up hill leaving the stands. It seemed very stop-start after that and I'm also not sure what Skelton kept looking round for? All in all a muddling race but a good winner <ok>

6. NassauBoard

He’s a big fan of Sam TD riding ability and loves seeing him in a race.

OddDog likes this.