1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 9th. October 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Well done with Volatile Analyst. I was on him last time at 40/1 but he ran a so-so race and I left him today. Would have been a nice double, so unlucky with the other one.

Pilgrim likes this.
  2. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Im sure Sir Barney will be BUZZing after that :)

OddDog likes this.
  3. stick

stick Bumper King

I am sad? You have gone back to previous posts with your look how good I am attitude.
    Every time you tip what I fancy it gets beaten! Thus my comment.

I asked you recently if you kept a record of your profit/loss but you chose to ignore me. I guess that answers my question.

You are well liked on here and i get why as you write beautifully and are passionate but in terms of tipping you are not in the same league as some that have been seen on here.

Good luck with your ante post bets. Thanks for the like !

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Well done to those that were in the winners today. I seem to have found a rich vein of form as the flat season ends, but not a particularly desirable one. <doh>

Last Sunday, my ante post on the Arc collared in the last ten yards by a German outsider. In the following race, my horse caught on the line.

Today, I put my free Bet365 bet on Goldspur at 5/1 but left the two Godolphin odds-on shots alone. My bet of the day then gets collared in the last fifty yards in the fillies’ race.

If it comes up soft at Ascot next week, Champions’ Day will be another ‘no bet’ debacle so I had best start looking at the Breeders’ Cup entries for some runners up... <laugh>

5. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Firstly, good to be back jumps racing with big names and quality horses, and a crowd too!! Although a very different crowd from Friday to Saturday, I have no idea how anyone goes in cattle class on Saturdays at the smaller courses, it was horrendously busy, full of drinking, swearing and eejits walking into you. Luckily I took my boy to the play area for a bit and then spent the rest of the day at the pre-parade ring,

please log in to view this image

The Pre-Parade Ring - a calm in the storm of a Saturday at Chepstow Racecourse

Day 1 -

Probably the best days racing of the season to this point, with the Persian War taking centre stage.

First race we saw Knappers Hill taking on a decent looking field of novice hurdlers, with the Tizzard's horse Earth Business the only real opposition in the market. Knappers Hill went off at 2/13 and won nicely at the finish, beating the Skelton runner Pikar with the interesting The Plimsoll Line in third.

Knappers Hill

I thought it was a decent race to start the meeting, but it didn't seem to be a classic renewal of this race which has given us some very good horses to take for the future. In finishing so close to the winner I think Pikar and The Plimsoll Line are likely to be overbet next time out and I do not think they've achieved perhaps as much as some might suggest here.

Race two had only four runners, and to be perfectly honest I didn't like any of them when looking at both form and how they looked in the parade ring. I love the size and attitude of Ask Dillon, but unfortunately he doesn't jump fences with fluency and I hope he is returned to hurdles to target the big handicaps over staying trips.

I didn't like the look of the favourite, and whilst he ran very well, he was pushed aside by Does He Know, who still looks to be a horse that has further development in him and I thought he was one to be taking on over fences at shortish prices.

We then saw a Veterans Chase, and I absolutely love these races, both on a betting side but also more importantly on seeing old favourites again. This race was dominated in the betting by a market move on Some Chaos (I am claiming that I started this) who duly hacked up. Vivas came second with a good run, but again I wouldn't be rushing out to back any of these next time out. It was lovely to see Dancing Shadow jump so well from the front and that alone was worth the trip to Wales!

The Hobbs yard dominated the Persian War with Comprond beating Luttrell Lad at the finish. They pulled miles away from the third and put in a good performance which puts the pair in a good position for attempts at future graded races. The issue for both might be their need for good ground, and it might be that novice chasing next spring is their targets.

I liked Paso Doble in the parade ring, and whilst I thought he would come on for the run, I was disappointed with his finishing effort and hope he is ok and comes back in better form. He is one I am keeping an eye on.

The 4YO hurdle didn't appeal in the parade ring, and so it proved for me on the course. The lower weighted horses dominated the finish, and the one horse who moved stylishly in the race fell when about to challenge. Megan was the horse, and she is one to follow if she goes into mares races next. It was interesting to see yet another Milton Harris horse run very well in Pyramid Palace but he was beaten by Progressive who could well be just that.

Nina The Terrier didn't look to be the scopiest mare before the mares novice, but she ran out a very convincing winner, barely coming off the bridle to beat the Skelton horse who did impress in the parade ring. The two pulled well clear despite the race not being run at the fiercest of gallops. I think the winner is a horse to follow until she has been beaten, she jumped well and showed that she has the engine to match.

A front runner won the conditional handicap chase, something that I like to follow at the course, but didn't here. Or for that matter on day two either.

Jean Genie here was the one that caught my eye. I will be watching with interest to see how the Tim Vaughan yard go this season and this one could be very well handicapped.
    Day 2 - I didn't get to see as much of this day, having taken my boy racing we spent the day switching between doing as I was told and hiding away from the crowds!! He enjoyed his ice cream though.

It was a competitive days racing, but started and ended with two short price Paul Nicholls winners, like most days of this meeting seem to go! The first race was a juvenile hurdle and we saw a good performance from Magistrato, but I wasn't overimpressed by this and I will be wanting to take him on if he reappears at Cheltenham next. I just don't think this race will work out.

We then saw the reappearance of Allmankind, who was fresh enough through the race but battled on very well at the end to finish a close up third. This race annoyed me slightly as I thought Galice Micalo was going to win nicely at one point. She showed plenty of ability again and if she wasn't completely primed, she should be tough to beat in a good race next time.

Valentino Dancer was primed and I thought he was going to win, before Masters Legacy outstayed him for the form yard of Philip Hobbs. A very good display coming off the pace and picking up resolutely after the final hurdle.

Chirico Vallis made all in the handicap chase that followed, much to my annoyance having looked at him the night before at 33/1. He jumped beautifully and just managed to beat off the impressive Kittys Light. The second horse lost nothing in defeat (bar the race) and I do think is a horse to follow in the biggest handicap staying chases this season. He'd be a pick for the former Hennessey for me.

Tea Clipper was very good in the novice chase on chasing debut, a very impressive looking horse in the pre-parade and he showed his ability in the race. I don't particularly like the second horse, so wouldn't be going overboard with the form, but he did it in good style and can continue to be progressive over fences.

Orbys Legend showed the good nick of the Hobbs yard in the Silver Cup with Didtheyleaveuoutto running superbly in second. It was great to see the latter back to some form, he is clearly a very talented horse who has had frustrations throughout his career.

Paint The Dreams hacked up in the next chase for Fergal and the Brace's on the day that their business Dunraven Windows were sponsoring the card. This horse is superb on his day and he showed here that he probably is an improved horse for this season. I hope he continues to progress from this, he is very classy and he jumped very well. Emma Lavelle yard are in good form and their runner finished second which gives the form a solid look.

We didn't stay for the bumper. Getting away from the crowds was much overdue!!

OddDog and karlos5001 like this.
  6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Great write-up Nass. At first view I didn't think it was the greatest renewal of the Persian War - not sure we saw a Reve de Sivola or Thyme Hill there. However I will watch back again, might be being a little unfair.

7. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Agree it’s not that level, probably listed chase winners next summer. Ground at the meeting was a bit fast to risk winter horses

OddDog likes this.