1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Scunthorpe/ team/game/ match thread

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

"The King is dead, long live the King! In parts of this season – it definitely has felt like a Shakespearian tragedy unfolding at Glanford Park. Full of plotting, mis-spent gold, injury, misfortune, warring clans, public spats, and three different leaders since August. What’s not to like? Macbeth eat your heart out!

Throughout Saturday’s 90 minutes, we could at least take sense in the familiarity – despite the previous week’s chaos and drama. Vital home game against relegation rival? Check. Lack of pace and width in the side? Check. Two goals down inside half an hour? Check. Making an aging target man look like 1996 Alan Shearer? Check.

You get the picture. Even Lee Novak’s late consolation wasn’t enough to salvage a point from the wreckage. And frankly – despite the frontman’s very best efforts, it would have been an undeserved one. Despite the change in management, it was the same old story. As Theresa May might say, nothing has changed!"
    from this article

www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-new-manager-league-one-2717796

Scunthorpe are one of six teams below us who have lost four out of there last five games,Scunthorpe have lost the last three with a goal difference of -21.

last week we beat a very poor Southend and it was the goal that turned things for us , it lifted the team and second half performance was better than the first. it was a comfortable win as Southened posed little threat. there are no easy games but we have two much tougher games so a win is vital ,it will pull us a little closer to safety, however things are incredibly tight lose and we are back on a tightrope.

Team wise unless Ricketts goes for any rotation ,i would expect Norburn not to play , he aggravated his Achilles injury last week hence his substitution, we do not wont tendintis or worse a rupture.

i wonder if Ricketts might go for it and play ferjiri and Campbell up front, i would expect Laurent to replace Norburn

we need to start brightly , press high and score first,let us hope the team with the high tempo, keep it on the ground battling spirite turn up. we dont wont Scunthorpe to be given any hope and we can not afford sloppy defensive play or not playing for 45 minutes.
    weather forecast is sunny intervals with a gentle breeze.

Matster likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

there are no easy game they will wont the points as badly as we do .i know we have to strike a balance in the team we play , but i do hope we have an attacking line up. we are at home, we need the points and we are playing a team who are struggling more than us.

3. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It would be a lovely thing to be three points higher by 5pm on Saturday. It also helps that it keeps them lower down too!

Hopefully the team that start on Saturday also mentally turn up and gets us the points sealed as early as possible.

4. Zenfootball2

today we just need the right result as much as i like to see town play nice football, today we need a win if that means we grind out the result or route one(which i hate) we have to do what it takes to get a little closer to safety.lose and we are back on the tightrope.win and at least one team is further away from us.

5. Zenfootball2

this was game that should have been winnable it was a game were town needed to start with an attacking line up and press hard but unfortunately neither happened

Town concede a goal after some soft defending waterfall was complaining that he had been held /pushed .
    Scunthorpe then wasted as much time as possible,a free kick for town were there player kicked the ball away twice but did not get booked,
    there number 4 deliberately walking as far as he could with throw ins to get the ref to signal him to go back , the pantomime when he tried to take a free kick when it a header , but the highlight of time wasting was the big defender who off the pitch feigning an injury who dramatically threw himself back on the pitch

i am fan of Ferjiri but i thought that was his worst game this season, he had one clear chance but poor ball control and it was gone,over the game town had four good chances docherty feee on goal and the shoot was saved by the keepers legs, beckles had two chances one thumping header produced the save of the game , the other went over the bar, holloway free header in on goal heads it in the ground and an easy catch for the keeper.

mitchell made one good save by tipping it over the bar
    frustrating to see town play some many passes back or across the back,equally frustrating was the poor distribution in the last third. we did not put a poor Scunthorpe under any sustained pressure till very late in the game.towns looked to have benefited from an own goal.

a frustrating game to watch as town looked toothless and at time clueless
    Scunthorpe have conceded 70 goals this season and are 20th in the league for the worst goal difference, unfortunately town left there scoring boots in the locker.

fortunately we managed to salvage a point and whilst looking poor town did keep going, let us hope dropping the two points will not cost us and fortunately all the teams below us either drew or lost