1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season 2020/21 viewed from afar.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, May 6, 2021.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well here we go for game number 46 when no matter if you are young or not so young, this has been the strangest of seasons you have lived through. It all started on a Friday night almost halfway through September when Watford welcomed Middlesborough to the Vic. No fans to roar the Hornets on, something that we had to get used to.

As F1 Hornet put it that Friday night, “Normally I would say it's a long season and what matters more is playing well regardless of the result, but I would prefer a scrappy 1-0 win to build confidence and get points on the board than being superb and losing through a couple of dodgy goals”.

Well a scrappy 1-0 win is what we had when defender Craig Cathcart headed home a corner, but briefly we were top of the Championship.

By December the grumbles were becoming louder. “Passionless. Pathetic. Pointless “ said andytoprankin, as we only managed a single shot on goal in 90 minutes and fell to a single goal by Cardiff at home. A trip away to Huddersfield did nothing to help, and Flittonhorn summed up the feelings of many, “I would say Ivic's days are numbered.”

19th December and this was in the papers.

Watford, fifth in the Championship, have sacked manager Vladimir Ivic.

Ivic leaves the club after today’s defeat at Huddersfield Town, just their fourth this season, and his departure comes with the Hornets fifth in the table.

As Yorkie put it, “Well I am not the sort of person who would want a manager out impassionately... But he seems to have been such a negative impact on our players...Good decision.”

Boxing Day and the new smiling man is in the dugout. A tough start against a Norwich side that are already showing that they will be at or near the top of the division at the season's end. Another close one but we take the points. “ Excellent.Attacked with more purpose and defended well considering it was a bit makeshift against a top side” said Mark, something that everyone seemed to agree with.

From that point on we started to accumulate points, the attacking football was far more pleasing on the eye, and coach, players and fans were smiling.

An amazing run of victories saw us move past Reading, Swansea, Bournemouth and Brentford as shown so well on NZ’s thread of stats.

Just a month ago a vital game was played against Reading that had many nervous fans hanging on throughout the second half. 2-0 up at half time, yet we seemed to be giving them every chance to get back into the game. We held on to the three points and in his relief BB suggested, “I can't see Millwall or Luton playing as well as Reading just did.”

What was to be a showpiece for good Championship football came round on the 20th April when we faced Norwich. A double over the team to be justly crowned champions, but the two sides showed just what they could do. Scully summed it up. “A great game and credit to Norwich for making it so. Really enjoyed that!!

Only three days later and we could clinch automatic promotion when we played Millwall at the Vic. 1-0 up and things became uncomfortable with everyone counting down the clock. “Wish I could enjoy this but it is hell in reality” said Mex. An explosion of relief, joy and exhaustion followed, with Muñoz seen to shed a small tear or two.

There are many other moments or entire games that had an effect on this strange season. So many comments that were made on our match threads that were worthy of inclusion, and showed that we are really rather proud of our little old club.

So just this final game to go and then we can all look forward to the 14th August or thereabouts. Poor cologne trying to keep up with date changes. Will Friday night, Sunday lunch time or Monday evening become the new Saturday afternoon?

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I have watched online virtually every game this season.. And every game, every goal, every save has counted to make this one of our best.. And yet we have all been on the edge of our seats.. Or pacing our rooms game after game. As Duxbury intimated.... So much was invested in us getting back up.. Really make or break..
    It has been a gripping helter-skelter of a season and a pleasure to 'attend' with a great bunch of 606 'friends'.

3. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I have to admit Frenchie that the Championship is a lot easier for doing the predictions league. The staggered fixtures in the Prem. are a bit of a nightmare and bite into my sunday a bit - but I wouldn't change it <cheers>

andytoprankin and oldfrenchhorn like this.