1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Semi final 1st leg

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by Swords Hoopster., May 6, 2014.

1. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Wigan Athletic vs Queens Park Rangers

So HP (& anyone else), what do you reckon? These games could go any way, eh?

2. El Pirata

El Pirata Well-Known Member

No, we're going to win it.

3. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

Evening all..and a special welcome to our Pirate

Wigan....we are coming for ya !

4. Swords Hoopster.

Pirata, its good to have you back for these crucial games.

Hopefully you'll prove a lucky charm all the way from Bosnia :biggrin:

Will you get to see the games mate?

5. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Expecting a 0-0 draw away and 2-0 defeat at home.

The eternal optimist.

6. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I'm liking the Watford optimist.....

I have literally no idea how this is going to pan out. Not a one. I veer wildly from us putting in one of our total football displays and putting four past you, to losing the first leg by a couple in front a half empty DW before getting gubbed at LR on Monday. I can't pick a formation or starting eleven for Wigan which would increase our chances against you. I've been studying your "lineup for Wigan" thread and trying to think of your personnel and how we contain them. We thought we had found our ideal starting eleven for this game - look up our team against Reading which produced one of the best performances I've seen this year (maybe Forest and City away were better, so was Leicester at home) - and then he puts out the self same eleven against Blackpool and we get spanked. SO that's that out the window.

All I know is this - we've had our first (and possibly last) European campaign, and we got to the semi of the FA Cup again, plus we got into the play offs so all in all a fabulous year. But our game against you will be our 61st this season, and they have just looked jaded and tired for the last month. But we do seem to be able to raise ourselves for big games, and I hope this will be one of them. To Wigan, home and away are much of a muchness and if we're still in this after the first leg then we'll remain dangerous.

7. Bwood_Ranger

I heard you were struggling to sell tickets for both legs. What sort of crowd are you expecting on Friday? I think we'll be bringing around 3500.

Goals would be nice. One midweek goalless draw at Wigan per season is enough for me.

8. MIAMI_FOX

MIAMI_FOX Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> think you said the same to us mate earlier in the season
    I'm sure Wigan are shaking in their boots lol.

9. Swords Hoopster.

HP, its all up for grabs. I'd wish you the best of luck but..............well, you know :)

Here's hoping for an entertaining game and may the best team win!

10. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Yeah, same qualified good luck to you too Swords!

11. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments above; these games are almost impossible to predict. One thing is for certain, our support will make the most noise!

12. El Pirata

El Pirata Well-Known Member

Yes I will. My new cable provider is broadcasting every match of the playoffs <party>

If we win the promotion I'll change my profile name to lucky charm

Thanks mate I'm glad I can post here again. Well, not exactly here :emoticon-0114-dull:

13. Swords Hoopster.

HP, you boys edged it ever so slightly but I expected that from the home side. Redknapp went for a draw and he's got it.

Still very evenly poised for the second leg.

14. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Hullo Swords, this one isn't over we played 13 cup ties without defeat, only won one at home. Apart from that spell in the second half we were very poor, hopefully whatever is ailing Shaun will be gone by Monday, all to play for, please, join your mates in writing us off we like it that way..

15. Swords Hoopster.

Anyone that writes you off is an idiot. Wigan are a quality side at this level and its still the toss of a coin as to which side goes through.

I was surprised though at the amount of empty seats for such a huge game last night mate. Some folk obviously don't appreciate how well you've done since Coyle got shown the door.

16. Bwood_Ranger

Rugby on the box didn't help.

My prediction is correct thus far :embarrassed:

17. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Yeah whatever size our crowds are we've never had to replay a match because it wasn't big enough. Given the role that money plays in your club I'm not surprised that you'd rather that matches were decided by accountants rather than players. Fact is though, in spite of having three times our wage bill we're still in the play offs and if we click tomorrow we've got a great chance of putting you out. So money - or crowd size - isn't really a great separator. Tends to be what happens on the pitch. Funny as well how we always get this **** from supporters of other small clubs - never get it from City, Liverpool, Arsenal. They tend to be more impressed by what we have achieved in spite of our small fan base - you know, with nous, skill and commitment. Things that money finds it hard to buy.

Looking forward to tomorrow. As usual we travel in hope rather than expectation. Youse should try it some time!

18. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Incidentally, it's Ben Watson Day today, a year since we won the FA Cup. No doubt there are a number of your supporters who are so blissfully unaware of what's important about the beautiful game that they think we shouldn't be allowed to keep it because we don't have many fans. And then there will be those like you Swords, who'd give their eye teeth for one moment of glory like that for QPR, a moment that will last this Wigan supporter for the rest of my life.

19. Swords Hoopster.

I'm quite taken aback to be honest HP.

Were you aiming that at me?

20. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Which bit? The bit about the crowds is really just a general response to all the QPR comments on the Wigan following. The bit about glory? We'll, you would wouldn't you? If your team won the FA Cup that moment would nurture you all your life. As it does me!

Yeah, reading it back I'm clearly being nice to you Swords!