1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Semper Fideles

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymjools, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

At the end of the day there is legally correct and then morally correct and these two things are very often miles apart. For the average Joe Bloggs on the street the ins and outs of finance/business are not something they consider. From all these dealings though something is perfectly clear the PB does not give two hoots about Plymouth Argyles survival, its fans or Plymouth in general and therefore I struggle to see how Guilfoyle assessed this as the best option, especially as he still claims to be in the dark as to the PB identity. The only conclusion I can draw is that a certain Mr Risdale was pushing/supporting this bid, I never planned to own the club my Aunt Fannies big toe!!!, and considering his position before and during the administration I think this is pushing the boundaries.
    As Plym states we seem to be stuck between the Devil and the deep blue sea at the moment.Again it will be the football club and fans who suffer but it is not the clubs or our fault that we find ourselves in the proverbial again. I still struggle to understand the logic in the stay away brigade, cutting nose of to spite face springs to mind.
    Another thing that pisses my off is the cretins at the Council now jumping in with the we need a club in a City of Plymouths size line. Why did it take those morons so long to catch onto this fact then? They are now willing to by back Home Park and support Brent after stating catagorically that this would not be an option at the start of administration. It would have opened a whole host of other opportunities for rescue packages or fan based ownership if they had taken this line from the start. <rantoff>

Mrs Reid I agree with your comments on Plymouth. I think I notice it more as I spend time away and the changes in the City, for the worse, are more apparent everytime I get back.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not being Plymouth based I have no knowledge of the good things and bad things of the local council or even sure what political party runs the show at present.

Checked............Oh yes it's Vivian Pengelly (spelling ?), yes she was adamant that no council ground would be part of a PAFC bidders deal,came over as not very flexible and helpful.

Did she also not responded very well to Brent asking for the council to consider buying back the ground as part of his original bid ?

When walking around parts of the City at the beginning of last week there was a feeling of things being a bit run down,but I expect thats the norm throughout the country at present.

With a City the size of Plymouth (now the biggest never to have been in the top Div,thanks Hull) struggling at present to be represented with professional football and the ludicrous situation of the threat on the future of it's Airport (how important is that I ask you, seeing Plymouths location to the rest of the UK) things do look rather bleak.

Seems so differant (as already mentioned) to what seems to be happening 50 miles up the road where things are taking an upward trend.

When we were waiting for our London train there was a quiet backwater feeling to the station,no sign of activity,of things happening,no feeling that it was the place to be,hard to put over what I mean really. Maybe living in the suburbs of London where our local station has far more activity for a population of 70.000 (Orpington) I have unfortunately been denied the more tranquil life of the west country,obviously my loss.

I'm sorry I've digressed..........Pengelly seems to be showing more interest in having a successful PAFC in the city,what a shame she could not have shown the same interest in March before the Heaney/Irish Phantoms took control............Maybe more leadership is required to make the city prosper in other areas as well.Plymouth can't afford to be second best in Devon to you know who up the road.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

"From all these dealings though something is perfectly clear the PB does not give two hoots about Plymouth Argyles survival, its fans or Plymouth in general and therefore I struggle to see how Guilfoyle assessed this as the best option"

The reason is very simple.

In other posts, Heaney's been severely criticised for the fact that local businesses lost money when his housebuilding company went under.

The administrator's duty is precisely to protect the interests of those people threatened with losing money NOT to protect the interests of the failing business.

In administration [as opposed to liquidation] there is an presumption that the failing business is better dead than alive but no more.

Not surprisingly, a League 2 football club with huge debts, limited support and an out-of-control wage bill is of of pretty much zero interest to anyone in the business sense. We've been rescued only by the property deals and those won't be there to save us a a second time if we go under again.

Therefore Guilfoyle has gone for the best property deal he can get to pay the maximum possible to those owed money and the football club is some way down the pecking order behind that.

Not nice for the fans but a fact of life. And the lesson to be learned is that the club's finances must be managed conservatively for the foreseeable future otherwise the next crisis will be fatal.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Well said Distant....lets hope indeed a little more cash will be made available to the club. :emoticon-0103-cool:

5. notDistantGreen

"As for Greece ....... Despite the facts regarding employment and their attendance records, it is not the fault of the masses that Greece is in the state it is."

Oh yes it is Sensible - to be clear I read that about 60% of the Greek population [or some other similar incredibly big percentage] are on the state payroll but of those, only half turn up to work, either because they can't be bothered, they are actually out driving a taxi or running a taverna or they don't actually exist and somebody's drawing 2 wages!

You'd have to be a fool to think that can go on. It was OK when the drachma was cheap but not when the value of the currency is driven by Allianz & Deutsche Bank, Daimler & Volkswagon, Siemens & Bosch!

"If I was reading one [Pasoti] article right it sounds as if the buzz word is that the deal is about to hit the buffers or words to that affect."

So Guilfoyle says within the last 48 hours that the deal's about to complete but somebody over at Pasoti knows better? You can call me credulous if you like, but in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I'll go with Guilfoyle.

6. notDistantGreen

I wouldn't hold your breath Bedoboy!

However, if the fans come back to the club in good heart & give Reid a chance, I do believe that over a period of a couple of years the club can progress, financially and on the field. After all, even with our sometimes disappointing crowds, we will be one of the better supported club in League 2. Maybe taking a couple of years to get promotion into League 1 isn't much to aspire to but it would be a first step - and more importantly, the first step in the RIGHT direction for what seems like forever.

The two things that worry me most are:

1) that the fans DON'T get back behind the club - which is why all the negative comment and rumour before we've even kicked a ball is dangerous and
    2) that Ridsdale has some risky cunning plan for overnight success. We are working without a safety net now and any slip will be fatal.

7. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

If we can get a few more decent signings and start well this should put more optimism back in to the missing thousands....sounds like recent friendlies have shown promising football and with Reidy's experience should enable the team to progress. It's not going to be easy this season but!....I'm going to have a little flutter on promotion....got this funny feeling if you know what I mean, and knowing Argyle they always seem to amaze! :smile:

8. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

However Distant in this case the pay out to the pound owed was pretty pitiful for creditors and there was something about Buttivant, I believe it was not sure, trying to de-rail the creditors meeting offering more. Guilfoyle himself at the start stated the best for all line and seeking an option to ensure the survival of the club. Anyway it is spun I will still feel that we have not been best served and that the delays in completion may well have been deliberate so as to get us into this last chance saloon. I think when/hopefully deal is complete and the smoke clears we may well have a nasty taste in our mouths, I hope not but am doubtful.

Between PB, Guilfoyle, Risdale and Council think the fans and club have had a shafting yet again. As you state if things go badly again we have really nothing left to attract investment we are without the proverbial pot to piss in and with current set up and history of Mr Risdale that seriously concerns me.

I have now changed my stance and am backing the changing of our song:

I propose Monty Pythons catchy little ditty...... Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

or perhaps Chris Reas Road to Hell

or even(for the stayaways) AC/DCs Hell Ain´t A Bad Place to Be

9. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

The riddler is in court today, and its reported that the prosecutors are going to ask for it to be heard in the Crown Court !

10. notDistantGreen

But was it also the case that Guilfoyle stated that the rival bid had provided insufficient proof of funds?

This is an area I have come across - sometimes the proof of funds comes from a backer [e.g. a bank] and is subject to conditions - we'll provide the funds IF we like this and IF we're satisfied with that and IF we haven't found anything better to spend our money on in the meantime and IF.....

You get the picture - in the end, it's not only the buyer who has to be happy but the bank have to be separately happy.

That's so uncertain as to be an unattractive choice for PB.

I'm not really a Chris Rea person but I think this is appropriate.....[video=youtube;bHwTygK05_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHwTygK05_M&feature=related[/video]

11. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Yep he did but Buttivant rebuked that I am still to be convinced there was an even playing field for all but that we will never know.

No problems for the above if we adopt Eels Novocaine for the Soul and the more this is dragging on the closer I´m getting too it.

12. notDistantGreen

Now there is something we can all agree on - we'll never know!

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My point about Greece notdistant was that it is Politicians who set the rules and allow stuff like you state to take place. Most people will get away with what they can and it becomes a way of life if it is allowed to flourish. Who was it who gave the go ahead to employ all of these people in the first place. If it wasn't one layer of the political elite then it was another one further down the chain. The public at large didn't also make plans and agree to spending many more Euros than the Country had just to keep themselves in power. The fault of the public there was to swallow it and vote them in is all.

I don't disbelieve Guilfoyle on the completion either. As you know I normally don't deal in tittle tattle either. My comment was only giving my take on the thread on PASOTI and what it appeared to be intimating. I do however not subscribe to there not being a plan B. It might not be an easy thing to do but I am convinced in my mind that it would be doable. You will not convince me that if the current deal falls over that a second option would be turned down where nobody gets anything out of it at all. A little longer and a little less is still better to the majority than nothing at all. I do not believe a word of what some of the main players in this sorry saga have said about a nuber of things. However, I don't really give a flying fig for their politics and soundbites. All I care about right now is the club is still there after the events have happened. If we have to go with plan A then so be it. If it falls over and plan B comes into force then so be it. As long as one or the other takes place and we kick off on time the rest is up to others to fight over.

14. notDistantGreen

I think sometimes we're among a tiny minority Sensible, we don't care how it happens, just that the club lives to fight another day.

It's about probabilities - better that the deal we have goes ahead, imperfect and immoral as it may be, but in a position where it's 95% complete than spin the roulette wheel again with all the loaded odds that entails.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sensible.........American Marines might disagree about it being "our tune"

Semper Fideles March (latin for always faithful) written in 1888 by John Philip Sousa (1854-1932) regarded as the official march of the United States Marine Corp.

16. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Dont tell him that Plymborn he'll become all Victor Meldrewish lol

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

He'll be shouting out...........I don't believe it...................Argyle only two years old then (1888).........so when did it first get played by PAFC ?

18. notDistantGreen

Not onlya tune they march to, it's actually their motto as displayed on the corps insignia.

Incidentally, and I don't say this just to stir up trouble <whistle>, Semper Fideles is also the motto of ................ the City of Exeter.

please log in to view this image

19. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Off with your head Distant <laugh>

20. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I can't find any dates Distant, but found that the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders played it, and Argyle was formed after Grose went to see the regiment play in the Army Cup and wanted his team to emulate the style of play of the regiment that had greatly impressed him...... we adopted the tune first Distant lol