1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Serious takeover talk

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Spot on, they will be numb if this gets across the line.

2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Need a better 2nd half from Spurs, just in case.

3. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Sunderland win, Sunderland get multi-billionaire owners, England beat Australia in the Ashes and Spurs score 5 in a Stella 2nd half performance......................Carlsberg don't do weekends...but if they did.

4. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

flandersmackem likes this.
  5. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

The last one was wishful thinking Nordic...but 3 out of 4 ain't bad

Nordic likes this.
  6. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

If we get these new billionaire owners, I honestly don't expect us to spend millions on new players. I'd like us to continue to build (the team) sustainably.

However, strong investment in the academy, scouting network etc is going to be the key.

I'd also like to see the women's team get invested in.

7. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

The MLS intends to expand to 30 teams. Teams 28 and 29 are looking at an expansion fee of $200 million. The last two expansion fees were $150 million. One of the original Microsoft billionaires, other than Bill Gates, ownes the Seattle Sounders, the third most valueable MLS franchise. Forbes reckons the Sounders are worth $310 million. But the Sounders average attendance is about twice that of the rest of the league. Now the MLS is looking at smaller markets, like Nashville. I wonder if a city the size of Nashville can support a soccer team well enough to provide a return on such a sizeable investment. In comparison, Sunderland AFC sounds like a brilliant investment opportunity.

When the takeover story first broke, I googled Glenn Fuhrman, the managing partner of MSD Investments. He first came up as a billionaire art collector. Now, Mr. Fuhrman didn't find himself with too much money on his hands and in need of an expensive hobby, his second major at uni was art history. I don't think a billionaire art collector wants to come to europe, the place where art history unfolded, purchase a controlling interest in something as high profile as a football team, and screw it up.

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Read this the other day for what it's worth

"MSD Partners are known to spend big on investments and develop them slowly- not to generate quick turn around profit and then cut ties, but to structurally develop their investments in long term and sustainable ways, ensuring business links and continued profitability for years to come. It appears they’re serious investors who come to win, but recognise that to generate profit, initial and strong investment is a must."

9. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Looks like if we get this deal over the line Nacho then we could have interesting times ahead.
    Look North were saying two weeks before any deal completed and that could be a very long two weeks imo.
    Trying not to get too excited just yet, well not as excited as I was seeing Ben Stokes get those last seventy runs yesterday.

Dorset and Nacho like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Look North are trying to make things look black as usual whereas they reported Sheikh N'Baeikh as a fabulous buyout.

My info, from an accountant who spoke to Donald in the Hilton after the game ...
    ... the Dell Boys are busy people and are in town now, they want to get everything SS&D'd before they leave Dodge.

This is a massive long term project from people with a vision ...
    ... a bit like Benitez but without using other people's money <laugh>

11. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Good one Smug, happy days.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  12. Smug in Boots

TBH mate I'm a little surprised that people are so blasé about this.

It would be absolutely massive for a club in the PL ...
    ... for one in the 3rd division there hasn't been a word invented that describes how big it is.

This will change all our lives.

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

For me it's just a case of waiting until it's finalised, even if it wasn't for the mags being crushed by takeovers repeatedly failing I'd be cautious about getting carried away.

If it happens I'll be getting the fizz on ice no doubt.

14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

With the pound sliding, quite a few clubs are going to be attractive purchases. If Bolton go into liquidation, that site would be attractive, may be as a North of England venue to promote US sports.
    Or,
    Perhaps the lot who own Saracens might also see the University of Bolton Stadium as one in which to invest and attract higher crowds following the example of another London club, Wasps with their purchase of the Ricoh Arena.

15. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

That would be a massive upheaval for Sarries though. They've got a very loyal fan base in the N London/Herts/Essex area.

I believe they've invested a lot in Allianz Park and in the tie-in with the Spurs ground. A move to Bolton would make even less sense than Wasps to Coventry.

16. The Ides of March

Thanks for you reply. You are right. What about the first case scenario?

17. The Norton Cat

It could work. Do you think there's a big enough market in the UK for US sports?

18. The Ides of March

Tottenham´s stadium is adapted to take the gridiron game so there must a market in the south. The north gets lots of visitors watching Liverpool and Manchester United. They just might be curious about a third sport. What else? Baseball?
    Rugby League? No
    Rugby Unión? Maybe the two South African franchises.

But what has happened to Bolton is so very sad. Great traditional footballing town. This is what happens, though, when a team slips out of the PL, paying their players exhorbitant amounts of money, and unlike Sunderland, do not have that big a fanbase.

PS: I like the way their near neighbours Preston North End have developed, on and off the pitch. I wish my own club (Pompey) could take a leaf out of Preston´s redevelopment.

Riever and The Norton Cat like this.
  19. Smug in Boots

I'm being told all the legal stuff is done and dusted.

The media is being prepped for an announcement and Peterborough should be a party.

If this doesn't pan out as I'm being told I realise I'll look stupid but it's good info from two different people I trust.

I just hope people appreciate I'm posting this for the right reasons.

20. The Norton Cat

I kind of had the impression that the appetite for NFL had reached saturation point with NFL London games- obviously now at Spurs as you say. I suppose the Manchester/Merseyside area might be fruitful for a second location but as the NFL Europe eventually dwindled away I would hazard a guess that that particular sport will only ever have a niche following in the UK. I think it is probably the most likely one to catch on though. The MLB have staged a game at the London Stadium but have you ever seen a game of baseball live? It's like cricket with all of the interesting elements removed. Like I said before, it might work although I'd have reservations. Maybe using it as a an adaptable multipurpose venue would be the best way forward.

Yes, very sad what has happened to Bolton. It's a pity that the football community can't gather round to prevent this kind of thing from happening

Nads and The Ides of March like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.