1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheepfolds investment plans

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

https://www.not606.com/threads/https-www-mysunderland-co-uk-sheepfolds.398381/

I can't see a suitable thread but this probably deserves a thread in any case.

It's often said that Sunderland has needed investment/change and the recent initiatives are encouraging.

The Fire Station looks good and I'm hoping to tie in a weekend at the match with a night out watching a band or whatever. If more people do that it'll obviously benefit the local hotels, pubs, restaurants etc and attract away supporters as well as exiles like me.

The Dell people had plans for Sheepfolds and the Metro station so it's good to see the potential in that area is being recognised. Other places like Portsmouth, Liverpool, etc, make the most of the waterfront and the Wear is quite a river when you take the time to really look at it.

Haway the footbridge!

"A stunning new leisure and events destination is planned for Sunderland, as the city's riverside continues to transform.

Visionary plans to breathe new life into the former Grade II Listed Stables at Sheepfolds have been revealed, showing virtually derelict buildings that surround a large yard to the southern-west corner of the industrial site transformed into an exciting new food, drink and leisure venue.

Music and performance on a large outdoor stage as well as an open-air yard which will play host to pop-up events, markets and daytime activity, will create a remarkable new place for residents and visitors to enjoy. The venue will be connected to the city centre by the new Wear footbridge that will provide a pedestrian and cyclist crossing between Sheepfolds and the former Vaux Brewery site, both of which are being spectacularly reimagined as part of Sunderland City Council's Riverside Sunderland delivery plan."

please log in to view this image

COYCS, Ginnanson, MrRAWhite and 15 others like this.
  2. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great to see more plans and investment for the area.

The amount of money being pumped into the North East for redevelopment really is good for us all

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Nice to see money being invested into Sunderland instead of being wasted up in Newcastle

4. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Long time since I have been down there, but in my younger days spent a fair bit of time round that way. Like you say could be a great spot for the right sort of development.

Robertson and clockstander like this.
  5. Smug in Boots

I'm from Durham, so Sunderland isn't my home town, but I always want the entire NE to get a fair deal.

Sadly I've noticed Mag demands for investment in the NE has turned into demands to spend millions on players.

Whittylad, DH4, phil_harmonic and 3 others like this.
  6. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Well-Known Member

The former scrapyard just next to the ALS building is going to be turned into a new college building focusing on construction so thats going to bring plenty people into that area. This new development will be good and should see that post work crowd stay in town.

This has always been sunderland city centres problem - after 5 or 6 pm it just empties as the town is just retail and pubs really - it needs more office based staff to be in there to generate that evening drinks/restaurant vibe that newcastle has in spades compared to sunderland.

I lived in the echo building for around 6 months and was shocked at how empty the town centre was during the evening.

7. Smug in Boots

Nailed it mate.

malagamackem, Whittylad, JC91 and 2 others like this.
  8. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

They need to hammer it home.

Draig likes this.
  9. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Think it could be an idea for the club to buy up some of the sheepfolds buildings to turn into pubs/restaurants at a later date. Surely in the long run it would help to up the coffers

10. Ronsafc

Ronsafc Active Member

11. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

My love for Sunderland never Tyres

12. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Tread carefully matey, you don't want to de(mono)rail the thread

13. rooch 3

Ok I’ll change my train of thought.

Makemstine Roger, Whittylad and Draig like this.
  14. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

If if comes off it will be a goodyear

MrRAWhite, Whittylad and rooch 3 like this.
  15. rooch 3

I think we are on the wrong tread.

16. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

The redevelopment plans look fantastic although it seems to take an absolute age to get anything actually done in this city.

I’ll believe it when they start building :emoticon-0100-smile

17. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see the city developing this type of vision. The river is a central feature of the city and has long been neglected.

It would be great to see river cruises begun - I don't know how far upriver you can navigate though. Mind, a narrowboat could float in a puddle so they could go a goodly long way upriver.

Also, why not have trips out to sea and along the coast - maybe even something like this https://ss-shieldhall.co.uk ? Maybe even bid for lottery funding to restore a ship - possibly with local connections! Hell, it worked for Hartlepool and would be a double whammy coz first it could be provide jobs and training opportunities then jobs crewing the ship. If she was big enough maybe she could be a moored entertainment venue between cruises!

On a smaller scale, but just as good for tourism, day charters for sea fishing? Motorboat rentals for puttering about inside the river? Bungee jumping of the Wearmouth and/or top of the Queen Alex Bridges?

There is so much that could be done around the river.

18. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Good man, that's what I like to see, quick reactions - you're definitely not a sleeper!

Makemstine Roger and rooch 3 like this.
  19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Recent developments in the town have been a vast improvement on past inertia, pity that the landscaping along the front at Roker and Seaburn, has not been maintained, it was initially beautifully done and then shamefully neglected. Same with the park at Roker and the stinking ravine leading to the promenade , still some way to go but slowly heading in the right direction. There was a river ferry some years back and it was a splendid idea but the council scuppered it first chance they got same with the plans that would have seen a marine equivalent of Beamish and the restoration of the Adelaide shocking decisions both. The South Dock area is a national treasure they were talking about filling it in (Clowns).

20. Ronsafc

Ronsafc Active Member

You would only get a boat up to the A19 bridge, bought a Kayak last year with a few mates, tried to paddle from Fatfield to Roker. It was near low tide when we started and the Kayaks were rubbing on the rocks most of the way till be hit the bridge.