1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheepfolds investment plans

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jan 20, 2022.

1. BellionGoalVersusVilla

BellionGoalVersusVilla Active Member

Whole city should be really excited by Riverside Sunderland, it's really going to improve the outlook and view people have on us. Get that train line linking up Durham & Sunderland and watch the place be packed Monday to Sunday. Horrendous that it isn't already in place. Can't wait for the next 5 years of development, only wish it could be up sooner.

2. one gary owers

one gary owers Well-Known Member

Even said a monorail :1980_boogie_down:

Smug in Boots likes this.
  3. blackcatforever

blackcatforever Well-Known Member

Just rubber it in.

4. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

We’ve been here before so tread carefully <ok>

5. Gazj2k

Gazj2k Well-Known Member

Going to be a class whisky and cigar based bar and room here and it's being announced next week. Some really top class people getting involved.

6. Septem

Septem Active Member

I feel the same. Hopefully I'm not too old by then. Mind I've seen the town buzzing on weekends when i was younger and hope that returns. I went to see The Damned last week at the fire station. A cracking venue. We were sitting in foyer area and looking out and it was nice to see it all lit up done out nice outside. Hopefully more of the town can be done like that. We are starting to get a thriving seafront now and hopefully can do the same in town.

7. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Good news keeps on rolling....

8. Lucky19672

Lucky19672 Well-Known Member

JW the founder and PW the newish CEO are MLFs. Used to work there and was with them at the Old Trafford semi final against Millwall

9. Lucky19672

Lucky19672 Well-Known Member

Edit - and just for clarification this is not where the info I got about KLD etc came from

10. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

I'm not from Sunderland, I've never lived in Sunderland and in fact I've only ever been there for the football, but it's about ****ing time there was investment in the city

Jarca, Nads, Palm1 and 6 others like this.

11. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Was in Sunderland today, picked my sister up from Millfield and drive over to Seaburn for a family meal.

The changes in the city are really visible, and really good.

13. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

All good to hear this. I don't live there, but Sunderland has needed this blast of investment and forward thinking for a long time.
    It has terrific natural assets including the river and the sea front. Hopefully, one thing leads to another, as so often happens with this kind of thing.

14. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

Knowing the Leader of the Council, that is his plan. PreviousLy there had been a number of separate plans across the city but no joined up thinking. Four years ago he brought all the different plans in and got senior officers to pull them into a single plan, which became the strategic plan for Sunderland. It is this plan we are seeing take shape now.

By the time he is up for election next he will have had eight years to implement the plan, that is the time to judge how he has done, but up to now it is going well.

15. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

We're not from Sunderland so only ever go for matches.

When we drive up we'll take different routes just to vary things. The place is much better than people make out imo.

The drive from the A690 exit is decent housing, the Uni, the bridge and the ground. The Hylton Grange route is along the river, all quite tidy and pleasant considering it was a huge heavy industrial area. It makes me laugh when fans from Wigan, Rotherham, etc, mock the place when they come from real shyteholes.

16. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Yes. Same here.

Sunderland certainly has been in need of change and improvement. So have numerous other places, too many to name but including those you mentioned.

Sunderland though, is clearly on the way now, including things like business wi fi access and so on, which it won an award for as the best in England recently. Most of these other places are seeing no such leap forward, and once a place starts making strides like this, others see it and join in.

Great to see.

17. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

From what I was told this was the 'Dell' concept. ...

... use the name and a small investment to attract people who 'wanted in' then sit back and claim all the credit.

I think it would've worked because people would want to cosy up to the big boys and Dell would've put the Council/Metro/train companies under enormous pressure simply by making a simple statement.

Sadly Donald ruined that opportunity but I'm probably happier with what we have now.

rowley and C Montgomery Burns like this.
  18. BellionGoalVersusVilla

BellionGoalVersusVilla Active Member

That Hylton Grange route along the river and on the other side, Depot and Pallion are ideal for residential areas given how vast the amount of land is / mostly unused now. Time the council attracted private investment as there is so much potential. Sunderland's river/quayside must be one of the biggest in the UK that is bare wasteland on the edge of a large city. Has the ability to look unreal.

19. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i have always thought that making the riverside walk more of 'a thing' would be perfect, build into the bankside and stick some bars/restaraunts along there...maybe throw a boat trip, low level footbridge/ferry, have the odd 'zip-wire day' across the water, use it to link the town itself to roker and more or less avoiding the roads...so much potential i feel.

20. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

The area around the Aspire ridge is planned as a new housing village.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.