1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield United v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

In itself as a philosophy it's ok, but you have to have players technically capable AND who have the confidence to play that way. Rio did it for years, but he could read very well when to play it out from the back and when it needed to be played forward quicker. Maguire and Lindelof look clueless by comparison. And maybe that's because there's little coaching, who knows but it looks scary as **** every time.

The problem is we have two centre backs on tenterhooks and who just don't look technically able or comfortable on the ball. Add to that the fact they're conceding goals every game and the whole thing just compounds the situation.

glazerfodder likes this.
  2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We keep on!

I've said often enough, we win our game in hand we're second.

At what point do we change the rhetoric? We going to accept the challenge or keep saying 'we're not quite there'?

There just seems to be a general acceptance that we're **** and that 4th would be an achievement, especially from the manager. This transmits itself down to everyone, we're turning into Arsenal at a frightening pace when we should be thinking we're in a title race.

Why can't they work on the defence for instance?

Ok, stick with Maguire and Lindelof (although I'd rather it be Maguire and Tuanzebe) and ****ing work on what they are supposed to do in all the scenarios. Stick with the full backs as well and decide on a keeper.

It's no rocket science is it?

Treble likes this.
  3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Leeds are ****ing newly promoted, bottom half and have been conceding goals galore especially from set pieces. So what’s the big deal?

The big deal is that for some inexplicable reason we can’t turn it on at OT. And when we are expected to win we **** it up. Both in the league and recently in the CL. It is a question of belief from the players. Do they truly believe they could and should be in second place?

Bielsa won’t change his tactics and won’t park the bus. Good news for us? Not if our calamity defenders play their usual ****ing complacent game. We need solid defending and the attackers to take the chances that will definitely come their way. So will we pass the big psychological test?

And I’ve said it umpteen times at OT we start too slow. Against the fast running Bielsa players that could be disastrous. We need fit players who start fast. If we do slow and considered passing in the middle of the pitch at the start we are truly ****ed.

Treble likes this.
  4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We start every game too slow, not just at home.

Last night was a perfect example, as were the wins against Southampton and West ham.

This needs rectifying across the board. If we're one or two down to Liverpool after ten minutes, for instance, we won't be winning 3-2.

5. Christiansmith

Leeds has the worst defensive record in the league bar WBA. But have the same scoring record as us. It’s almost which defence will cope best. If ours do a decent job on Sunday we’ve got a good chance. But as I said with this team, don’t expect an easy match. Ever.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's funny because Leeds should be perfect for our counter attack. The thing we're all thinking is, yeh but our defence will buckle before we get a chance to counter attack.

The other thing to note is they've just thrashed Newcastle and will be even more confident coming into this game. United on the other hand have done little over any of our recent games to have the same level of confidence. I'm talking about the defence. All our confidence (or lack of) stems from that atm.

Christiansmith likes this.
  7. Christiansmith

If I were Leeds manager, I would go on an all out attack and throw caution to the wind. A gamble that may pay off handsomely. By the time United wake up it might be too late.

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tbf that seems to be his m.o. in all matches <laugh>