1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield United v Sunderland AFC – Wednesday 17th August 2022 - KO 20:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 15, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Aug 17, 2022.
  1. Home win

26.0%
  2. Away win (safc)

28.6%
  3. Draw

45.5%
  1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I thought so too. Mind he’s a walking yellow card!! But he gets about the pitch so well. Looking forward to seeing him this weekend’s at least (Neil is only banned 1 game) and hopefully it’ll prove a decisive time as I think we’ve missed what he brings

Saf and clockstander like this.
  2. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Not sure I have ever heard so many positive reactions from a defeat. I’m usually in a minority looking for the positives. Today I appear to be in the majority as there were loads to see. Long May it continue. Alex Neil is the man for SAFC. Hopefully the board can see that too and keep hold

3. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

If you met my Dad and my mate’s dad, you’d think they did. My dad was nigh on giddy saying “told you so” when QPR equalised!! <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Blond Bombshell, Saf, rowley and 2 others like this.
  4. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Warnick said soo many positive things about us don’t think I’ve ever heard us being praised so much on tv :)

5. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Honestly thought that was a great advert for the championship and for us as a club. Was a good game of football.
    Think that we’d likely have won that with 11 v 11. Very proud of the lads though. They gave it everything. And of Alex Neil. His game management last ought was outstanding

6. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

We will be up there end of the season is my view, great manager good young squad with the chance to get a few more in I’m really looking forward to the season.

Saf, Sunderlad, Robertson and 2 others like this.
  7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Lee Hendrie also praised us during the game, most unusual.

smithy in nl likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Yeah they normally have Don Goodman who seems to hate us!!

clockstander likes this.
  9. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

Good post !

smithy in nl likes this.
  10. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

I love that we have surprised some people with how we have taken to the Championship and I think we will do absolutely fine this season.

People seem to forget we have a really young team, 5 under 23 started, with some proper talent so we are bound to make mistakes. The decision to bring the lad down last night was one of these but I'm certainly not going to get on his back because of it, he looked genuinely gutted when he saw the red card and he will learn.

It's nice to have complete trust in our manager for a change and I was proud of the way we played, Alex Neil has managed to bring a whole new level of confidence and belief through the squad.

11. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Would have been really interesting to see that game played out with 11 men each, though no problem with the card.

Canny enough though, we are competing, look like we have a goal in us, and hopefully we can get some good bodies in to help out.

Some good displays by plenty to give optimism. But........always a but! We obviously can't keep letting two goals a game in!

12. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Paving the way for footballers to be gender neutral?

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  13. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

These are all the comments from the Sheff Utd board that mentioned us.

----------------------------------------------

Anel and Khadra were fantastic and McAtee showed potential after our slow start.
    In fairness Norwood was solid or even good and McBurnie was better than I expected.

Sunderland MoM was their goalie.

Exciting and frustrating game, but we won as we should even tho we gave one goofy goal away.

-----------------------

Sunderland - I thought they were really good going forward first half. Clarke, Gouch, Stewart and Simms all looked direct, pacey and dangerous. I was relieved when Neil got sent off. Their keeper though looked brilliant. MOM by a long way for me. They'll do well this season. Avoid major injuries and they'll push the play-offs.

----------------------------------

Sunderland keep playing like that they will get a load of red cards

------------------------------------

Sunderland looked what they are. A well managed bunch of cloggers, couple of big blokes up front one playmaker and a midfield and defence dedicated to the art of fouling. o’Nein’s foul on McAtee was awful, clear straight red card, could have trashed his career before it’s even started.

-------------------------------

Good win.. fair play to Sunderland, they made it hard for us, and look like they'll be top half, their Keeper impressed. .. gifted them the goal though... Anel and Berge class, Khadra off the bench did well.
    Cut out the sloppy bits, and we'll be up there for sure

Set of dirty bastards these, lucky to get through with no injuries

If I was to be critical we made that harder work than necessary. Credit to Patterson, he kept a few goals out but we should be walking away more comfortably than that.

-------------------------------------

2-1 looks close, but we absolutely battered them today. 22 shots to their 4. Nothing to grumble about tonight.

smithy in nl likes this.
  14. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

I laugh at the 'dirty bastards' comments.

They gave as much as we did only we get penalised for them and the ref got his yellow out in those instances. A giggle at the plodders comment, I bet he wasn't thinking that after half an hour when we had them rattled.

clockstander and smithy in nl like this.
  15. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

Having had time to reflect I'm honestly not too bothered about last night. We proved we could mix it with one of the better teams in the league away from home even with 10 men.

As for Dan Neil I don't think hes been great this season but he hasn't been as bad as some make out. I'm certainly not gonna jump on him for last night he made a mistake and compounded it by pulling the guy back. I've done it myself playing amateur football and been rightly sent off its a natural heat of the moment thing you know you've ****ed up so try to atone in any way possible. 5 mins later you know you've been an idiot but in that split second your mind is already scrambled from the error that you do take the man out.

We will give any team in this league a game which first season back in this league is realistically all we can ask. Yes we will probably take a beating or 2 along the way but from what I've seen so far we are in for an entertaining season win lose or draw.

Saturday however is still boiling my piss. 7 points from 4 games looks a lot better than 5 from 4.

clockstander and Robertson like this.
  16. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Every team we've played have all made a point of saying it. It's obviously because of 09. I think he's the dirtiest player in English football so we'll get that all the time when he's on the pitch. The rest of our lads are fine and no worse than the rest of the teams we face.

I noted that they were all praising Patterson and he was getting pelters on here.

17. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

If we were going to lose our unbeaten league run then that was the way to do it, away from home against a promotion favourite playing with ten men for an hour and only losing by the odd goal in three.

18. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Sloggers? Weren’t we the ones playing the better football at 11v11? O’Nien aside, I don’t see another dirty tackle all game. Tucking whinging bastards.

as for “battered them”. They took control with 11 men v our 10. But I have absolutely no doubt we’d have at least got a point 11v11. ****ing privileged twats!!

Appreciate the sensible comments and those who were honest enough, but those 2 i me too are just bad winners! Need to get a grip

19. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Well some throw themselves to the ground like they’re little girls . Which is odd because the girls don’t throw themselves to the ground in their game

20. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member