1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheffield Wednesday v Hull City AFC - Team news...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. tigercity

tigercity Well-Known Member

The defence needs to have a keeper they can trust, it's such an important position & Liverpool have realised that. In McGregor we had a keeper who inspired the defenders to push forward, Marshall might come good but how long will it take for the psychological togetherness to heal and flourish?

2. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

As a club we have been spoilt by having really good keepers.... players that people warmed to, from McKechnnie to Norman and Wealands, to Macgregor and Jak. All of them had personalities and skill.... Marshall......!!!...?

CANADATIGER and balkan tiger like this.
  3. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

It's true to say that many of our keepers had character so they became fans favorites.

4. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I think some of that's true but some of it is factually wrong. The defence Marshall played behind was definitely weak that season. The whole team was; it was the first of Ehabs joke transfer windows and our season was over before it began (with 12 senior players). And Cardiff definitely weren't happy to lose him. In fact they complained about a lack of ambition shown by selling him, such was his value to their team.

I was concerned by how slowly he got down (or didn't) for the Hutton goal and I know that's something you've been saying for a long time, but I still don't think he's been anywhere near as consistently bad as suggested.

It seems to be generally accepted that he's got this massive history of errors, but no one seems to be able to recall them specifically. I think it's just one of those opinions that gets repeated enough that it becomes fact.

AlRawdah likes this.
  5. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

Can we get jak back on loan? Is he getting game time at leceister?

6. augustatiger

augustatiger Well-Known Member

Not even bench time

7. TigerinSydney

TigerinSydney Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about Cardiff - they were absolutely gutted when he joined us.

Unfortunately we haven’t seen any of the form he showed for them.

He simply doesn’t cover the goal well enough - he is slow to move, slow to dive - everything a good keeper isn’t! I really hope he finds some form but I just don’t see it happening

8. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

marshall is terrible

huttons goal was a disaster, by the time he got down to the floor, it was already in the net
    he's just a terrible goal keeper, he's just ****e

the fact people say oh he had a good game, he caught a cross
    this guy was bought for £5m.
    we couldn't even spend 3/4 of that this summer

he's earnt a fortune

but in terms of scottish. i wish he was english, he's a disgrace

9. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Marshall is low on confidence, at the moment Adkin's is right to play him to get that confidence back. Whether he stays number one depends on if he gets that confidence back or not, but it is in the clubs interest to get it back whether they keep him or sell him. Therefore for the moment, he should play.

AlRawdah and Sir Cheshire Ben like this.
  10. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Some astonishing assessments of a goalie posters have hardly seen and are basing on two years ago.

I'll keep saying it. One error from a goal kick.

He had no chance with the goals. Fact.

I think most on here would rather see Marshall make a load of howlers today and be "proved" right than us win the game.

HHH likes this.

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

No Chazz.

He’s about the worst goalkeeper I have seen pull on a City shirt - and I have seen some right **** keepers in my time.

I have absolutely no confidence in him and no confidence that he’ll ever come good whilst he’s here. At present he’s a liability in goal for us. Sometimes players have a purple patch never to be repeated- that’s what I think Marshall had at Cardiff.

I sat next to a Cardiff fan at a Stone Roses gig at Hampden Park and he wasn’t at all bothered about losing Marshall - He couldn’t actually believe they’d got £5m for him. He wasn’t a fair weather fan either - Home and away supporter for 30 plus years.

People talk about his Cardiff performances like he’s miraculously going to rediscover that form - he won’t. He’s the goalkeeping equivalent of Michael Ricketts.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  12. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about Long to have a valid opinion about whether he should start over Marshall or not.
    However, IF MacDonald is fit, he should start ahead of De Wijs. De Wijs needs time to settle in to English football.Common sense ahead of 'managing' De Wijs's confidence; shouldn't be hard to explain why to him.

GLP likes this.
  13. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

I thought he was a great signing when he came from Cardiff, I remember him playing against us and he was excellent. On their forums many were gutted to lose him how ever he has made a number of errors since he came. One thing for sure if it is a confidence thing then he needs support from the fans starting today. When you do lose your confidence in any sport it's awful but one good game can change everything. I'm really hoping he has that good game starting today if not he will be dropped but I'm willing him on and really hoping for the good of the team and himself that today he goes out and regains that belief. It's a new defence who will have to pull together because away from home i would think will be under a lot of pressure. A point would be a very good result.

HHH and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  14. Top_Tiger

Top_Tiger Well-Known Member

It’s impossible to sing someone’s name when the ball comes into the 18 yard box he lets it in the net. Another display like last weeks abomination and Long will be in.

15. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

If Marshall wants to prove himself as a top class keeper, then he's going to have plenty of opportunity.

16. Chazz Rheinhold

The most idiotic post of the week. Well done.

17. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

i agree Long will be in if there are any more mistakes however although there is no need to sing his name at the same time it's going to do no good cheering sargarly if he catches the ball. I just hope he has a decent game if not then I hope Long is good because of not we are in big trouble.

18. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

It has been said already and I agree. Some of the posts on here about our goalkeeper say more about the deficiencies of the posters, than they do about the deficiencies of David Marshall.

19. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

These Marshall posts are tiresome. Everytime a keeper makes a mistake, he's "the worst keeper we've ever had."

Just like Amos. And Gulacsi. And at the time, Jakupovic (who I spent time after time defending to you lot on here as a great keeper, to no avail until he forced his way into the starting line up). It's getting old.

A manager, with much more experience than us, is choosing him and having faith in him. Some of you who have backed Nige and had faith in him aren't backing his decision to play Marshall. If he cocks up again, Long will probably come in. Just go along with it.

20. Chazz Rheinhold

It would be interesting to go back and see the posters who were really abusing Jak after the Wensdee, oo err, disaster were the ones praising him the most for his half a season or so in the Pl??

allowentry likes this.