1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should Saints change their buying policy?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beddy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

Its not our money to spend tho and never will be!

I think they will sack Pellegrino (so blame the manager) and this will be before Xmas and get someone else in.

Thats my bleak prediction

2. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

That wouldn't surprise me the way things are going but unless the board are prepared to put their short arms/hands in their very deep pockets to buy some creative attacking midfielders and some strikers then the sacking would be pointless

latviandream likes this.
  3. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

To be honest, on the attacking part of the pitch there isn't a single player I'd dread to lose, bar Gabbiadini and maybe Tadić. And the only reason that i put Tadić there is because he's actually shown that he can be very good if surrounded with good players.

4. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not the only one then. It's quite scary, really (when you combine it with our lack of decent attacking options). At best, I'm seeing Jay out there all over again. At worst, I'm seeing someone who makes me want Jay back.

But it has only be a handful of cameo appearances. There's still a voice in my head that says this won't last, and a PL striker will once again emerge. I fear I'm kidding myself though. He looks finished.

5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in the occasional "older" player.
    Some questioned the purchase of Pelle, citing his age as a bad thing, yet he was the right player, at the right time, to do the job we needed doing.
    Bringing players in shouldn't always be about improving them for the future, and/or selling them on at a profit.
    Sometimes we need to sign players for the here and now, regardless of age, who can impart their knowledge and experience on the youngsters.
    They might also provide the kick up the backside kind of attitude, someone who will galvanise the others into raising their game, which I think is lacking in our squad.

6. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

in previous seasons our policy has been slightly more scattergun. We have signed sold a few and signed a few more than we've sold. These past two seasons we have sold and not replaced. I've made the point before that we've signed more flops than successes in the last 5 years but it did leave us with a good side once the wheat was sorted from the chaff. If we're only signing 1-2 players and selling 1-2 theres no room for error at all. It hasn't gone that well for us IMO.

AshbySaint likes this.