1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should Virgil remain captain?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

We never openly try and sell anyone, yet top players always leave. Liverpool made no formal offers after their illegal approach, I'm guessing any offer would have been well below our valuation at this point. Chelsea and city didn't bid as our valuation was too high.
    The only way he would have sold would be if we dropped our valuation significantly.

Edit: I have no doubt that he can't be arsed with primadonnas at this early stage though!

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Hopefully we will now not be seen as push overs. After the VVD incident, other teams will know that they can ask, but money will only talk to us if it suits our plans.

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Virgil has stepped out onto the pitch for us. Can we please put this to bed now. The papers just want stories, no matter how much bull is involved.
    One more season of exemplary behaviour then he can moonwalk into the sunset.

4. fran-MLs little camera

One last thought....before Beddy puts it to bed:bandit:...I wasn't sure I wanted to see Virgil in a Saints' shirt again, but it was good to see. Sensible to do it in an away game....he looked in a positive mood and not sulky. He's out of gaol and on probation now.

5. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. I think he looked a bit embarrassed by it all.

What we all forget is he is only 26 years old. No life skills and has so much so young. Not making excuses for him, but I always look at kids in their 20s and think how would I react if they were my kid. The sad fact of being a footballer is that you grow up in your 30s...when your career is over. My daughter is 27, married, kid(s :) ) etc but I still see the life mistakes she makes through lack of experience, though you have to let them make their own mistakes to learn.

Still don't think he should be captain though, to keep on topic. Sir Steven Davis or Sir Maya Yoshida are better choices as role models. However, the minute he came on, he did seem to take control.

6. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Yes Virgil should remain Captain, He has the qualities needed on the pitch to lead.

7. fran-MLs little camera

Davis has to remain captain on field as well as off. Cannot guarantee Maya:emoticon-0115-inlov will play every game.

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying national Steven Davis day, although work is calling now, but I'll be sure to raise a glass later.
    <bubbly>

9. fran-MLs little camera

MP2 said it was down to the dressing room...I don't think he meant that they picked the Captain, but more it was a matter of who they respect. I just feel that Virgil having the captaincy would leave a bad taste in the mouth. He will still be himself on the pitch...captaincy or not.

10. thereisonlyoneno7

I think if Davis plays he has to be it. He seems to have the respect of the team and even Jamie RedCrapp said he is a player's player.

To lead you need someone you trust, who has your back and will not be afraid to get his hands dirty. Unfortunately handing in a transfer request and having a major sulk, does tend to stick in the back of your mind.

11. SaintsFan86

Whether the bad taste in the supporters fans mouths or not, He is the best candidate for it, For the team on the pitch. But Davis will always be Club captain until he retires.

12. fran-MLs little camera

Some people are captains whether they have the title or not. Unlike in cricket, the captain in football has few powers and it is more an accolade. Virgil doesn't deserve it and I doubt its absence will effect him to any measurable degree. Davis will be here next season....will Virgil?

fatletiss likes this.
  13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean he needs to be Captain. Good management could be to not pick the most natural "on pitch" leader. Virgil will lead on the pitch when he plays, whether he has an armband on or not.

14. SaintsFan86

You use the cards you're dealt at the time, And just saying that a person shouldn't be given a certain title because he will have a high probability of him not being here next season sounds a lot of bite off our nose to spite our face.
    He is the best at Leading from the back, And I'd rather that now, Than what we have... I don't honestly get attached to the players.. It's a business.. Use the best personel you have to get the job done.

15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Questions: If Virgil is not given the arm band and called Captain, do you think he will suddenly stop leading from the back? Do you think he'll no longer bark intstructions and organise the defence? If he is not Captain, do you think the other defenders or players will not listen to his instructions?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  16. thereisonlyoneno7

Don't think it is about being here next season.

As Fran says in football it is an accolade to be captain. It needs leadership qualities, but also loyalty. As FLT says Virgil will lead on the pitch anyway (just see his 10 minute cameo yesterday), but Davis has the respect, loyalty and natural leadership qualities on the pitch.

17. SaintsFan86

Obviously he will, It's in his DNA now. I don't honestly care whether or not as people have said.. If he is given captaincy or not. Providing he leads.

18. thereisonlyoneno7

To be fair, the clever thing is not to give it to him. He will lead from the back anyway and then someone else can lead from the front.

19. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

I really want to get behind him. He plays for saints even though he has not acted like a saint.

This week I would like to see him take a captains responsibility, face the media, speak to the fans in a sincere as he can get way and apologise for the way he behaved and show that he is committed to giving 100% for saints this season.

That's a start Virgil, help the team keep a clean sheet and score the winner against utd, then yeah, we are ok again.

20. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

In truth all I want VVD to do is to play his heart out............Nobody should be in any doubt he is an outstanding defender...........I think he will be exactly the same whether they make him skipper or not. For the time being leave it to Steve as club captain as well as when he is on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.